Hyrule Historia is AWESOME.

The Damned

There's something about a 300+ page hardcover book covering a favorite subject of yours (in this case, The Legend of Zelda series) that just makes you feel right.

zeldacover_zps6ed890a9.jpg

Is it the green cover that matches Link's tunic? Is it the foil inlay that makes up the text and symbol? Is it the fact that is was only $23?

zeldapage1_zps28b811e6.jpg

Or is it the fact that it has tons of artwork and concept pieces from the entire series? Even the GameBoy and GameBoy Color games are included (though, I would have bought a book just for Link's Awakening if they did one).

I love these kinds of books, and I wish more companies did them. Valve has an entire series of books covering their games, and I wish I could get them. I'd kill everyone on this site for a comprehensive Pokémon game series book. Mario? Hell yeah, I'd buy one.

But until those come out, I'll be reading this one every so often. I would read it over and over, but I don't want to wear out it out.

10/10: Would fondle and caress awkwardly again.

I'm slowly making my way through my own copy; just got to the Link to the Past portion of the Chronology section. It's amazing; I wasn't expecting an outright tome when I ordered this thing.

I could've done without learning that there was a short yet serious discussion among the design team of Skyward Sword on whether Fi should have a Mii for a head though.

it's 276 pages, actually

but yes, it is glorious. one of my favorite parts is the fishhook concept art for wind waker, which indicates they planned on sunken hyrule to be traversable.

my one complaint? there is NO concept art for Minish Cap or ANY of the Four Sword games.

it's because they were done by capcom.

Got mine this past friday. Hyrule HIstoria is definitely a great tome to read/look through that anyone should pick up. Kind of disappointed that some Zelda titles have gotten more coverage, mainly Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks, than the others but I've kind of figure that would happen given the nature of typical art books regarding video games. (World of Warcraft did this with their races concept art.) When I get the chance to actually complete the Zelda games that I missed, I'll definitely look through it again.

I would love to see Nintendo do this with the Pokemon games. If they do, I hope each Pokemon and Gym leader gets a page dedicated to their concept art with some inside info on their inspiration and keep each book to each generation. One could only dream...