How do you build up your tracks?

Do you build up one section at a time, then move on to the next part? Do you create a skeleton for the whole track and build everything up evenly? Do you jump around from section to section as the mood strikes you? Just wondering how people like to work. I definitely fall into the latter category, I take a scattershot approach to fleshing out an arrangement.

I would say I work in a sort of painters way, but in sections. I get a basic concept down for an A section, then I brainstorm the B section. Then I lay down the basics for the B section and move on to thinking about the next. When I have an ending written, I will then go back and start putting in other ornamentation, counter melodies, harmonies.

It sounds structured, but I kind of let the mood take me. If I am getting great ideas for how to thicken section A but I haven't even started brainstorming B yet, I will give A everything I have until the muse goes somewhere else. I always try to do EQing and sends on the fly, though, so that I don't finish a track and realize that I need to do the whole thing again.

For my LIVE parts, I always throw down absolute shit first with lots of mistakes and timing issues. Then I copy and paste the tracks and it sounds terrible. When I have the whole piece figured out, then I go lay down clean live parts.

I take a different approach apparently.

I usually sit down on my keyboards and improvise... and that's how my songs are born! If I'm on a good day I can write a complete song in one go (for example, I'm quite sure I wrote this remix in one go after I learned the notes of the two sources). Of course, I only "write" the piano part that way and then I start imagining the rest of the instruments when I start writing on my DAW.

On days that aren't as good I just try write as much as my inspiration lets me and then continue improvising another day until the song is finished.

After that, I write the parts one at a time in my DAW but leave most of the mixing until the end.

I sit down at my keyboard, pick a semi-random sound, and audition it. If it's inspiring, I try to create a hook with it. Then if ideas pop into my head, I write out the intro, and ideas flow from there. If it doesn't turn out to be inspiring, I pick another one or take a break, and then try again later if I took a break. I write intro, next, next, next, end. Pretty straightforward. I polish the mixing as I go, and fix velocities as I go. I know velocities will sound good because I play piano, so... yeah.

I sit down at my keyboard, pick a semi-random sound, and audition it. If it's inspiring, I try to create a hook with it. Then if ideas pop into my head, I write out the intro, and ideas flow from there. If it doesn't turn out to be inspiring, I pick another one or take a break, and then try again later if I took a break. I write intro, next, next, next, end. Pretty straightforward. I polish the mixing as I go, and fix velocities as I go. I know velocities will sound good because I play piano, so... yeah.

Are we twins

I used to be linear. Start left and keep going right until it's done. Don't know what to do next? Well then the whole mix is on hold until you do. :<

Now I work on whatever I currently feel like working on in a given mix. I usually get done alot faster now but I think my older stuff is more interesting to me. I doubt i'll go back given how much time I wasted staring at my DAW.

I used to be linear. Start left and keep going right until it's done. Don't know what to do next? Well then the whole mix is on hold until you do. :<

That's generally the case whether you write linearly or not. Obviously, if you don't know what to do next, the mix is going nowhere.

I mentioned this in a different thread but once you realize your creativity is literally endless, your music can get taken into directions you never thought possible and can prevent holdups if you just write anything. If you get stuck while writing linearly, don't be afraid to change it drastically and modify it later to fit better. It can make for a rather unique compositional style. It doesn't matter WHAT you write as long as you write. You can't expect everything to be a masterpiece but the more you write, the better chance you have of what you're writing to BE a masterpiece.

That's generally the case whether you write linearly or not. Obviously, if you don't know what to do next, the mix is going nowhere.

To a degree this is true but what I meant was if you got stuck around 2:30 and didn't work through the block then that's half of the mix you could have been working on but weren't able to. Now, rather than having a small section giving you some problems in a completed mix you have half of the thing unfinished. Many times when I get stuck I work on another part of it and suddenly the block breaks and the writing is done before I know it.

Not to say linear writing is wrong or anything. Many people do it very well but I am getting used to the flexibility of working on DAWs.

I tend to just start with whatever the coolest riff idea in my head is. Then jump to the second coolest bit. Then space them out in the project and try to get an idea for what a good contour would be between them. Sorta becomes like drawing a map.

It will definitely sound like ass and be un-detailed until the arrangement structure is done. Then I go back and redo everything. Then I mix it at the end. I hate mixing as I go, I wanna make sure the arrangement works before I waste my time.

I make a skeleton until I get to the chorus, then I build up whatever I'm in the mood to build, which almost always is the chorus, then verse, then bridge. Then, I make a copy of the song and paste it after the first chorus and then make differences to the second half (adding a solo, atmospheric change, or whatever) At the very end I decorate the song with whatever little frills or sound effects I want to add. I'm a huge noob at this though, so there's probably a better way at doing it

I generally start with an idea, be it a progression, melody, or synth sound. I then build a short segment that sounds near-finished from that. If I like it, I start coming up with other sections that would work in the piece, either linearly or scattered. When everything's in place, I listen to it a few hundred times, deleting the parts I consider the least awesome knowing that I'll replace them with something better in due time.

Really, I guess I don't have a set process. I just kinda do what feels right, but I can't follow rules. That gets me stuck.