Maverick Hunter: Mega Man's FPS almost-reboot

DarkeSword

that's because it's true. while mega man fans were complaining about no new mega man games, they came out with mega man 9 and 10. EVERYONE KEPT COMPLAINING.

if a new mega man game gets cancelled it's because capcom are assholes. if a mega man game comes out and is bad, it's because capcom are assholes. if capcom makes a good, critically acclaimed mega man title (read: 9) nobody says anything because fuck capcom.

if this game came out? everyone would buy it and say 'this is a shitty game. fucking capcom.' mega man fans have set the bar so that unless a new game is 11 out of 10, there will be widespread rage. capcom knows this. why do you think they stopped making them? because any mega man press will be bad press unless they make a game that's bigger than mario and halo put together, and quite frankly mega man holds such small market share it's not worth the trouble. and it's not going to be pulling in a new demographic anytime soon either; the core games are platformers with no physics and a guy with a gun. ask anyone that started this generation or last and they'll ask you why you think that's an interesting concept. platforming, hell even platforming with shooting has been done LOADS better in the past few years than megaman ever did. to follow the mega man formula is to intentionally make games that have less depth than their modern counterparts.

on top of that, there are people who STILL post on capcomunity all the time being like 'WHY DID YOU CANCEL MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 I HATE YOU' and that happened years ago now. this is from 2 hours ago:

Personally I'm holding off on buying any new Mega Man figures until they Mega Man Legends ones come out. That's what i voted for in the poll after all, and that's won the polls.

2 hours ago

this reads to me as 'i don't want to support the franchise i love unless you do exactly what i want with it.' it's bratty and self-centered to think a company is going to devote its time and money to a game franchise that very few people other than the vocal minority care about. especially given that when they've done it in the past, that vocal minority has ignored it and kept whining.

i'm sure there are good mega man fans out there but the mega man *FANBASE* is worse than the sonic fanbase. and that's saying something.

Edited by The Derrit

that's because it's true. while mega man fans were complaining about no new mega man games, they came out with mega man 9 and 10. EVERYONE KEPT COMPLAINING.

if a new mega man game gets cancelled it's because capcom are assholes. if a mega man game comes out and is bad, it's because capcom are assholes. if capcom makes a good, critically acclaimed mega man title (read: 9) nobody says anything because fuck capcom.

if this game came out? everyone would buy it and say 'this is a shitty game. fucking capcom.' mega man fans have set the bar so that unless a new game is 11 out of 10, there will be widespread rage. capcom knows this. why do you think they stopped making them? because any mega man press will be bad press unless they make a game that's bigger than mario and halo put together, and quite frankly mega man holds such small market share it's not worth the trouble. and it's not going to be pulling in a new demographic anytime soon either; the core games are platformers with no physics and a guy with a gun. ask anyone that started this generation or last and they'll ask you why you think that's an interesting concept. platforming, hell even platforming with shooting has been done LOADS better in the past few years than megaman ever did. to follow the mega man formula is to intentionally make games that have less depth than their modern counterparts.

on top of that, there are people who STILL post on capcomunity all the time being like 'WHY DID YOU CANCEL MEGAMAN LEGENDS 3 I HATE YOU' and that happened years ago now. this is from 2 hours ago:

this reads to me as 'i don't want to support the franchise i love unless you do exactly what i want with it.' it's bratty and self-centered to think a company is going to devote its time and money to a game franchise that very few people other than the vocal minority care about. especially given that when they've done it in the past, that vocal minority has ignored it and kept whining.

i'm sure there are good mega man fans out there but the mega man *FANBASE* is worse than the sonic fanbase. and that's saying something.

Personally, I don't care about new Mega Man games - I only really care about new Mega Man X games or games along those lines.

hell even platforming with shooting has been done LOADS better in the past few years than megaman ever did. to follow the mega man formula is to intentionally make games that have less depth than their modern counterparts.

And Justin Bieber's music is superior to that of The Beatles. :tomatoface:

But really, to me, The Mega Man games and maybe Contra were the pinnacle for platforming-shooting. There's some good stuff out there but these games are called classics for good reason. Also, I'm not going to include Metroid-vania style games in this as those are a slightly different genre, imo.

Edited by megadave

Grim dark Mega Man? That's Mega Man X right? More importantly, that's Mega Man Zero, right?

This. Not to mention, Mega Man has NEVER been about shooting. It's a fast, twitchy platformer. Shooting is the easiest part of the game, just line up horizontally with the enemy and fire. The gameplay was about overcoming the obstacles in your path. Some required you to shoot them, some required you to be light on your feet, some required slow, thoughtful calculation.

In the end, Mega Man has always been a glorified obstacle course. A first-person shooter would place the emphasis on aiming and shooting, which as I stated before, has never been part of the Mega Man formula.

The Battle Network games were good, but again, there's nothing terribly "Mega Man" about them. Rama is right, these could have just as easily been re-skinned as Pokemon/Digimon/whatever. Same goes for Mega Man Legends/64. These are not Mega Man games, they are other games masquerading around in a Mega Man suit.

Slapping "Mega Man" on an FPS, or an RPG, or anything else, would be akin to calling Madden "Ball of Duty" and re-skinning all the athletes as modern soldiers. Technically it looks like Call of Duty, but it has no relation to what the Call of Duty experience is actually about.

BTW, I've trademarked "Ball of Duty". Activision, call me.

Edited by Cerrax

Justin Bieber's music is superior to a LOT of the earlier Beatles stuff. But unlike the stagnant Mega Man series, The Beatles sound changed pretty drastically, and their music got a lot better. Just look at Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road.

Fair enough. I'm not against the Mega Man series changing. If Capcom wants to make a gritty dark FPS and/or reinvent the whole series, I will be there on day 1. Still, I don't see anything wrong with the same-old. Mega Man 9 and 10 were great, I'm game either way.

Grim dark Mega Man? That's Mega Man X right? More importantly, that's Mega Man Zero, right?

Sorry, what? Did you even play those games? They're no more "grim dark" than regular Mega Man.

Mega Man Zero is the furthest thing from grim dark. It's very lively, many characters, with an emotionally active plot. If Zero was instead a socially inactive game and exploration based like Metroid, then it would fit the grim dark bill that this FPS is implying. (I mean it takes after Metroid Prime, sooooo...)

To me, though, this FPS is a bit Zero-ish in style. The character looks like one of the main bad guys (forget what they're specifically called, blue reploids with red light helmets) in Zero. Kinda strange they call it Maverick Hunter, since the Maverick Wars would've ended centuries ago at Zero's reawakening.

Edited by Neblix

Sure, I guess the main villains wanting nothing more than to completely eradicate humanity, military coups, the prominent role of death in the series, as well as exploring the political and social ramifications of robots that are essentially human, and dropping an entire fucking space colony on Earth and essentially causing the Apocalypse (which only got semi-retconned because Capcom wanted more MMX games because they wanted more money) doesn't make a series dark at all.

Edited by KyleJCrb

Meh. It just looks like they slapped the Mega Man name on it, to me. It doesn't feel like how the Prime games compared to Super Metroid. Besides all the scanning, Metroid Prime felt like it belonged with the rest of the games before it. This game just seems like someone is calling a car and truck similar because of the same paint color (Ford Mustang truck...?). Both are alright, from the looks of it, but they're totally different. Am I the only one getting that vibe?

Have you guys that keep saying "it doesn't feel like Mega Man" considered that what was shown was little more than a working concept (being a product of only six months of development), that if development were continued for it, the art direction (and indeed entire game direction) still could have changed significantly?

This. Not to mention, Mega Man has NEVER been about shooting. It's a fast, twitchy platformer. Shooting is the easiest part of the game, just line up horizontally with the enemy and fire. The gameplay was about overcoming the obstacles in your path. Some required you to shoot them, some required you to be light on your feet, some required slow, thoughtful calculation.

In the end, Mega Man has always been a glorified obstacle course. A first-person shooter would place the emphasis on aiming and shooting, which as I stated before, has never been part of the Mega Man formula.

I think it was a great deal about shooting. Only projectile-based shooting which connects with the movement aspect.

At the start of the video they make their intentions pretty clear though with the hitscan-based machine gun weapon. First person shooters used to be a lot like Mega Man with the projectile aspect, but as it found further mainstream success on consoles the game design has heavily shifted since gamepads are too clumsy to navigate in 3D around enemy projectiles.

Sure, I guess the main villains wanting nothing more than to completely eradicate humanity, military coups, the prominent role of death in the series, as well as exploring the political and social ramifications of robots that are essentially human, and dropping an entire fucking space colony on Earth and essentially causing the Apocalypse (which only got semi-retconned because Capcom wanted more MMX games because they wanted more money) doesn't make a series dark at all.

And neither does the brainwashing of robots to terrorize key areas of modern day society, followed by the Doctor having to augment and send his robot that he intended as a son to go and kill all of his beloved creations who were originally intended to serve humanity, which ends in nothing more than a series of about 9 more repeats?

You've got no clue, do you? Bad things happening =/= dark, that's ridiculous.

Edited by Neblix

I can't tell if you just want to be your usual argumentative self or if you're seriously debating that Classic and X have no difference in tone (which is patently and provably false,) but look at the presentation differences between Classic and X. Yes, Wily does a lot of evil shit, and yes, Light sending his "son" out to do battle is something we can discuss the deep ramifications of all day, but in the end Classic is still pretty lighthearted and idealistic, and doesn't really take the time to explore the consequences of its own storyline very often (if at all.) MMX on the other is very deeply rooted in cynicism, and takes itself far more seriously than Classic ever did.

I can't tell if you just want to be your usual argumentative self or if you're seriously debating that Classic and X have no difference in tone (which is patently and provably false,) but look at the presentation differences between Classic and X. Yes, Wily does a lot of evil shit, and yes, Light sending his "son" out to do battle is something we can discuss the deep ramifications of all day, but in the end Classic is still pretty lighthearted and idealistic, and doesn't really take the time to explore the consequences of its own storyline very often (if at all.) MMX on the other is very deeply rooted in cynicism, and takes itself far more seriously than Classic ever did.

Kinda both, more the former.

Oh, of course there's a difference in tone.

But you'd be lying to yourself if you thought it was a "grim dark" series at the level we're talking about here (comparatively, with the FPS).