Sign in to follow this  
Joyzilla

Forum Avatars - RIP

Looks like I haven't been here in too long. So the 32x32 limit is gone now? I didn't find either of the giants you talked about, Polo, but I noticed the Super Metroid samus in there (42 pixels tall).

LT: It's my discretion, so, no, I don't plan on doing larger images often. I love the 32x32 size restriction and plan to keep with it in the major majority of cases.

Understood. I didn't think there were any exceptions, that's all. That means the Decap Attack dude (as well as several others) could be added (at your discretion, as always). At least now I know posting an avatar larger than 32x32 does not mean a 0% chance of acceptance without cropping. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm leaving for a while now you'd be seeing some big ones in this thread pronto, but now that's going to have to wait until August.

So the 32x32 limit is gone now?

I didn't say it was gone. Larry wanted to see Hammer Jack in his full pose (more than 32 pixels tall/wide). Whether he takes him as an exception to the rule I can't say.

I didn't find either of the giants you talked about, Polo, but I noticed the Super Metroid samus in there (42 pixels tall).

"Giants" = bigger than 32 pixels one or both ways. I was talking about this Crono:

ct_crono.gif

and this Samus:

met_samus.gif

She's the Metroid Fusion Samus (but is currently mislabeled as from Super Metroid; THAT Samus is even bigger).

LT: Thanks for the extra Samus. Why not, eh? Other one was almost as tall anyway. The correction on the previous Samus is also appreciated!

P: No problem. But credit for the extra Samus goes to Gollgagh. :-P

LT: Hmm. Unless that's literally how the sprite was placed in the game, seems like the borders on Mia are really rough. If there was a way to smooth out the look of the black bordering so that it didn't look so pixelated, it would help. Can anyone else look into this also?

Made another try from a different angle:

mia2.gif

LT: The thick black bordering on the sprite looks awkward on a light background, so let's try a black background.

Here are the three Liquid Kids avatars you liked...

Mummy.gifRockman.gifSlingshot.gif

LT: Need transparent backgrounds on these. Seems like some white/blank backgrounds got retained somoehow.

... and here's my next attempt for the final four from Puzzle Bobble 2...

FinalFour4.gif

LT: Whoaz. Haha! Gradients?

More colorations:

finalthree_1.png

finalthree_2.png

finalthree_3.png

LT: Gradients?

And the pink chick (I posted it above after your comment as well):

puzzlebobble2_woolen.gif

LT: Yep, already grabbed it!

I also learned that the cat from the game is named Packy.

LT: Danke.

Re-uploaded the three Liquid Kids ones. I have no idea how a white background got on them, but they've got transparencies now. Also, are you suggesting gradients with your reply LT?

LT: Yes, sir. Big problem seems to be that no matter what color is used on those last three, part of the character's outfit or body gets absorbed into the background and it just doesn't look good. And some of the lightest colors are just too much of a contrast and don't work with the sprite as a good background.

LT: The thick black bordering on the sprite looks awkward on a light background, so let's try a black background.

another try , one with the black background and the other one i worked on the black border to reduce it.

mia2.gif-->mia3.gifmiabb.gif

LT: Let's go ahead with the black. What game in the series is this Mia image from?

Gradients?

Sure. Here's a go at it:

f3grad_1.png

f3grad_2.png

f3grad_3.png

LT: I like the smoother gradient style of the middle column, the girl. Whether gradient or solid color, I'd say base the background color off their clothing, so purple for the vampy chick, turquoise for the girl and red for the robot. That seems like the best approach when looking at the other accepted avatar, that girl in the pink dress. She had a slightly darker pink as her background.

I suppose this is suitable to mention here...

I was browsing the avatars and noticed one titled ".hack//SIGN - Tsukasa" under anime. The character pictured is actually Elk from the .hack games. Also, Orca is not actually from .hack//SIGN but the .hack games. Probably the best thing to do would be to label them both as .hack.

I'm splitting hairs, but .hack is one of my favourite series. I like to see it correctly titled as much as possible. :3

I made a few sprites of Gooey from Kirby's Dreamland 3 for SNES by HAL Laboratory. Now add them so I can use them ;*

Gooey.gifGooey2.gif

Gooey4.gifGooey5.gif

LT: I don't like the 3rd one with the tongue sticking out, but make the backgrounds of the other 3 transparent and we can run with them. If you like, you can pick one to be your custom/exclusive avatar.

MGS3_Bigboss.gif

it was requested so... atempt.

LT: Extremely blurry. You know that's no good. :-P

[*Fixed the blurr*]

LT: Hmmm... Well, it's definitely sharper, but the image itself doesn't really contrast well on the light background color of the forums. I wish I could say I was feeling this, but unfortunately I'm not. :'-(

I was complaining about there not being any avatars from Ultima, so I thought I'd put a few minutes of my time where my mouth was and do something about it. Here's some from Ultima VII: The Black Gate, by Origin Systems Inc.

male.giffemale.gifLB.gifNystul.gif

From left to right: The Avatar (male), The Avatar (female), Lord British, Nystul

apparently I can only do 4 per post...

LT: Nystul is oogly, but that's not your fault. Good on the rest!

so here's Iolo, Shamino, and Dupre:

Iolo.gifShamino.gifDupre.gif

Sorry for the double post. Hope these are formatted ok.

LT: Yep. Looks cool.

A few more for Xenogears:

Emeralda

emeralda.jpg

Id

id.jpg

Rico

rico.jpg

Sigurd

sigurd.jpg

Have fun.

LT: Those should be sharper. The Grafh one you're using is much better on that level.

ikfighterzx2.gif

Generic fighter - International Karate

© 1984 System 3/Archer Maclean

LT: Brighten up the color a bit and we can roll with this. Looks really dark compared to other avatars. Genesis ones end up like that too for whatever reason.

little fix: marioblock.gif

image must be 32x32 pixels and in gif format.

Now just be patient and wait for Liontamer to accept it or not.

LT: Nah. I'd use the image at regular size. Looks like it got enlarged and the image doesn't look sharp now.

LT: Thanks for the extra Samus. Why not, eh? Other one was almost as tall anyway. The correction on the previous Samus is also appreciated!

P: No problem. But credit for the extra Samus goes to Gollgagh. :-P

sheesh, took long enough

LT: LOL

I know these aren't likely to be accepted, but here are most of the various things from the Atari classic, Gauntlet...

GauntletAvatars.gif

In order, there's...

Warrior, Valkyrie, Elf, Wizard, Ghost, Grunt, Sorcerer, Demon, Lobber, Death

Thief, Generator 1, Generator 2, Food 1, Food 2, Treasure, Potion, Amulet, Key, Exit

LT: Let's go with Warrior, Wizard, Sorcerer, Death, Generator 1, and Food 2. The rest look good within the group, but not feeling them on their own.

I know these aren't likely to be accepted, but here are most of the various things from the Atari classic, Gauntlet...

GauntletAvatars.gif

In order, there's...

Warrior, Valkyrie, Elf, Wizard, Ghost, Grunt, Sorcerer, Demon, Lobber, Death

Thief, Generator 1, Generator 2, Food 1, Food 2, Treasure, Potion, Amulet, Key, Exit

LT: Let's go with Warrior, Wizard, Sorcerer, Death, Generator 1, and Food 2. The rest look good within the group, but not feeling them on their own.

Before I post the one's you listed LT, I thought I'd give them all another shot...

GauntletAvatars4.gif

GauntletAvatars2.gif

GauntletAvatars3.gif

I tried brightening the background, and then adding some color shifts to them to try and help the characters stand out more. I thought that adding more background variation choices to the original set might result in more suitable avatars.

Anyway, the original set is lined up with the two additional ones. Thoughts?

LT: Thanks for trying some other options. I actually think the originals ended up looking the best, with the images contrasting best with the darkest background. I'm still sold just on the ones I previously listed, so let's roll with those.

Resizes (7 Anime, 1 Other) - First up is Sakaki and Kyon again, both with sharpness upgrades and alternate pics.

Azumanga Daioh - Sakaki:

azu_sakaki_1.gifazu_sakaki_2.gif

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Kyon:

mhs_kyon_1.gifmhs_kyon_2.gif

LT: Not feeling the new ones. The sharper ones are aight, but seem a bit too sharp now.

Moena from Angel Blade:

angelblade_moena.gif

Nakoruru from an OAV titled Nakoruru: Ano Hito Kara no Okurimono:

nakoruruOAV_nakoruru.gif

Yotsuba from Yotsuba&! (well, manga form anyway):

yotsuba_yotsuba.gif

blackmyst's latest OCR 4-tan:

ocr4-tan2.gif

LT: First two are good, Yotsuba looks slightly over-sharpened, and 4tan IMO wasn't quite smooth enough as well.

Edited Avatar - International Karate/IK+ (C64):

ikfighterbrighterzb2.gif

LT: Now it's too bright. The solution lies somewhere in the middle of the two extremes you had.

Gooey5tr.gifGooey2tr.gif

fix'd, thanks douli

skull.gif

and a new one, Jade Cocoon 2 by Genki. I probably want this one as my exclusive avatar if possible.

i forget some white pixels apparently. :?