Sign in to follow this  
Joyzilla

Forum Avatars - RIP

Personally? The background colors are so bright and/or intense in Polo's group, that they've become the focus. Why not try dulling the backgrounds a bit... especially those intense light greens and middle blues? The more muted green in the first three images on the top row work better than the rest, as the gray in them makes the more vibrantly colored faces stand out.

Why not use gif transparency?

That works for full sprites within the 32 x 32 dimensions. If added around cropped sprites, they'd look empty and alone. Larry preferred my Bad Dudes avatars with their native colored backgrounds over transparent ones. Of course, a border also helps, making it look and feel "finished" (see: Card Fighters avatars), but that's another story.

Personally? The background colors are so bright and/or intense in Polo's group, that they've become the focus. Why not try dulling the backgrounds a bit... especially those intense light greens and middle blues? The more muted green in the first three images on the top row work better than the rest, as the gray in them makes the more vibrantly colored faces stand out.

Would you suggest toning down just the brighter backgrounds so they don't clash with the darker ones when viewed as a group, or would you say do it for every boxer so that every face gets more attention than its respective backdrop?

Also, for reference, here's each boxer in his corner:

punchout_intro_screens.png

Because each pixel row and column is delicately occupied, I'd avoid a downsize, which could lose details that keep the original feel of a sprite (in my opinion, downsizes and clean-ups are better saved for non-sprite artwork). On the other hand, if they were cropped, we'd more or less get these:

punchout_int_scr_crops.png

At best, they would make more detailed additions alongside their smaller in-ring counterparts. At worst, they're creepy and cropped too close.

Perhaps a balance between intro screen crops and in-the-ring hue variations would suffice? Is a vote at all feasible since Larry turned my post into a thread?

Also, cousins? SoloGamer and me? O SNAP

The cropped ones don't look too bad. A better way to see how they'd look in use is to space out the avatars more (that's for either horizontal or vertical spacing), rather than lining them up with no gaps. Try it.

Oh, so THAT'S why I thought they looked creepy. Heh. Ah well. Elbow room version:

EDIT - Moved Glass Joe, Don Flamenco, Great Tiger, Bald Bull, and Mr. Sandman up a pixel each so as to better center their mugs:

punchout_spaced_intros_2.png

[/EDIT]

If they're still bueno, I can GIF 'em separately for you to take.

Not sure what else to say at this point, except I wouldn't mind the second option (Solo's subs, after all, stay authentic with their in-the-ring backdrops). But I would suggest that my head-and-shoulders Mr. Dream be used, as his intro color equals his boxing ring color.

Banjo and Kazooie, as well as King K. Rool are all missing from the current avatar gallery. I tried getting them from this picture, but resizing from 80x80 to 32x32 doesn't go well. Will someone give it a try, or find better material to work from?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i114/TheNGamers/SuperSmashBrosCharacterSelectVer9.jpg

Would you suggest toning down just the brighter backgrounds so they don't clash with the darker ones when viewed as a group, or would you say do it for every boxer so that every face gets more attention than its respective backdrop?

Every face. Muting the colors of some backgrounds and not others would result in an uneven look to the set. And since even an intense maroon can still detract from the face, doing this to all of them would benefit the each face, and keep them looking like they belong together.

^ Cool, makes sense. We'll see what Larry would like done.

LT: Give Coop's suggestion a try and we'll see how they look. Otherwise, I honestly don't mind using the mini-style faces with the regular green/blue backgrounds, and then these close-up crops with the corner colors.

Okay, tentative batch (spaced and resorted):

punchout_mute_colors.png

LT: Personally, I'm not feeling the muted background colors. Seems pretty drab. :lol: When I get home tonight, and you have them ready, I'll upload the crops of the close-up pictures and leave the smaller versions with the original/in-ring backgrounds. Thanks a lot for experimenting with the different background, it was definitely worth a shot, and I certainly liked them. If I could have only used 1 set, I would have went for the smaller ones with the recolored backgrounds. :-) Thanks for all of your help, guys.

It was fun experimenting. I wanted to add a link to a RAR file with the cropped mugshots, but it died on me, so I'll have to triple post the faces...

punch-out_glass_joe_face.gif

punch-out_von_kaiser_face.gif

punch-out_piston_honda_face.gif

punch-out_don_flamenco_face.gif

punch-out_king_hippo_face.gif

punch-out_great_tiger_face.gif

punch-out_bald_bull_face.gif

punch-out_soda_popinski_face.gif

punch-out_mr_sandman_face.gif

punch-out_super_macho_man_face.gif

punch-out_mike_tyson_face.gif

punch-out_mr_dream_face.gif

Of course, new avatars are continually being accepted as they come in. Thanks to interweb cousins Solo & Polo for the Punch-Out avatars, which now have their own category. I also spent the weekend updating all the avatar labels with more details (along with catching up on the judges queue).

Basically, the labels are only as detailed as the various filenames are. Stuff like anime, I've got no clue on. It's not a big deal if no one helps, as this isn't a necessary project, and I couldn't care less if I get no additional details. BUT...if you'd like to help by identifying chracters/pictures that have generic labels, please feel free.

Thanks to everyone for all of the contributions so far!

interweb cousins

lol. Thanks for picking up my slack, 'cuz.

Anyway, in the Bandai section, there's a misnamed avatar

muscle_blocken.gif

His name's actually Geronimo

This is Brocken, who was removed from the U.S. version of M.U.S.C.L.E.

brockenjrgn7.gif

LT: If Brock there wasn't so fugly, I'd add him. Hell, Geronimo's ugly enough. Thanks for the fix.

And a quick question: I can't find my avatar in the anime gallery. Was it removed or can one simply not see their avatar in the gallery once selected?

LT: Indeed, once you select an avatar, it's taken out of the gallery lineup. No sense showing you the selection you already have again, when it's already shown off up top as "Your Current Avatar". vBulletin hotness.

Also, a few subs of Marina from Mischief Makers.

mischiefmakersmarina1hs8.gif

mischiefmakersmarina2gh6.gif

mischiefmakersmarina3bx8.gif

mischiefmakersmarina4vo5.gif

LT: The second one, with the scowl. :-) The first is two small, and the other two are too similar in the background color and facial placement. Along the lines of why I didn't use both King Hippo pictures. Since the game was first published in Japan first, Enix gets the nod as the company and it goes into Misc.

I'm loving the refined order and comprehensive details at play in the avatar roster, LT. Very nice work. Here's some more fixes / upgrades:

Capcom ~ Fighters

The Card Fighters version of Chun-Li is from Card Fighters 2 (like Strider Hiryu), as is...

SNK

...Vanessa and Kula here (like Iori).

Square ~ Chrono

Chrono Trigger Zzz1 - Yuji Horii

Chrono Trigger Zzz3 - Kazuhiko Aoki

Chrono Trigger Zzz9 - Hironobu Sakaguchi

(Rexy named them way back here)

Square ~ Final Fantasy

FF4 - Palom and Porom's names are swapped (the SNES sprites on pg. 2). Palom = green suit, red cape; Porom = red suit, yellow collar, green cape

Square ~ Xeno

Xenogears 1 - Citan Uzuki

Xenogears 2 - Elhaym Van Houten

Xenogears 3 - Fei Fong Wong

Anime

.hack//Sign 1 - Tsukasa

.hack//Sign 2 - Orca

Ah! My Goddess 1 - Belldandy

Ah! My Goddess 2 - Skuld

Ah! My Goddess 3 - Urd

DNA² 1 - Tomoko Saeki

DNA² 2 - Karin Aoi

DNA² 3 - Karin Aoi (again)

DNA² 4 - Junta Momonari

El-Hazard 1 - Rune Venus

El-Hazard 2 - Nanami Jinnai

El-Hazard 3 - Katsuhiko Jinnai

El-Hazard 4 - Shayla-Shayla

El-Hazard 5 - Alielle

El-Hazard 6 - Masamichi Fujisawa

Excel Saga 1 - Hyatt

Excel Saga 2 - Excel

Excel Saga 3 - Pedro

Excel Saga 4 - Nabeshin

FLCL 1 - Haruko Haruhara

FLCL 2 - Eri Ninamori

FLCL 3 - Naota Nandaba

FLCL 4 - Mamimi Samejima

Great Teacher Onizuka 4 - Eikichi Onizuka

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1 - Eva Unit-01

Neon Genesis Evangelion 2 - Shinji Ikari

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3 - Asuka Langley Soryu

Neon Genesis Evangelion 4 - Rei Ayanami

Neon Genesis Evangelion 5 - Gendo Ikari

Neon Genesis Evangelion 6 - Misato Katsuragi

Neon Genesis Evangelion 7 - Ritsuko Akagi

Rurouni Kenshin 1 - Sanosuke Sagara

Rurouni Kenshin 2 - Kaoru Kamiya

Vision of Escaflowne 1 - Van Slanzar de Fanel

Vision of Escaflowne 2 - Allen Schezar

...and last but not least, I figured the "mmmod" avatars in the Capcom ~ Mega Man category could use their native backgrounds, as seen in the Mega Man 7 password screen they come from (I simply edited out the numbers):

mm7_dr_light_portrait.gifmm7_megaman_portrait.gifmm7_met_hat_portrait.gifmm7_protoman_portrait.gif

LT: I will definitely get to these eventually, but my priority of late has been the panel and getting ready for the upcoming Otakon presentation. This update is great, and I'll enjoy moving forward with it once I get some free time, most likely the end of next week. Thanks, bro.

EDIT (7/26): Got to all of these finally. Thanks a lot for these details. I feel much better about our entire avatar package with you and everyone making me aware of any info I need.

smw2_babyyoshibrown.gif

I think the baby yoshis, like the one above, are from SMW1, not SMW2. Am I wrong? Where in SMW2 do you ever find baby yoshis?

LT: As far as I know, the Yoshis with the HUGE amount of assorted colors couldn't be from SMW1, as there were only red/green/blue. I've played/beaten/100% cleared SMW1 and never saw these colors. They may simply be recolored SMW1 sprites, I wouldn't know. Anyone that can confirm/deny would be appreciated.

Speaking of recolored, most of the Mega Man sprites are (NES sprites can only have 4 colors each as far as I know), even though the graphics are originally taken from the NES games (I think). Would it be cool (for me) to upload some un-recolored ones?

LT: I actually swapped out any NES ones for the recolored ones when the poses were the same. To me they looked cooler, so I'm gonna stick with those.

Oki.

So... we need more Turtles. I tried ripping graphics from TMNT IV, but the sprite is 64x64 rather than 32x32:

donatello.png

So I need to either crop or resize. This is the resized one (sharpened a bit):

donatellos.png

Not great... so I tried cropping:

donatellocb.gif

Don't know how you like the crop, but anyway... I also tried removing the background, leaving only a contour...

donatellocc.gif

LT: The cropped one with background would possibly look better with an in-game background.

Hmm... there's a lot of in-game backgrounds in this game. I wonder which one would look best. If I make more of these, can I include foot soldiers as well? They're pretty cool, I think.

LT: As long as they look good, whatever characters you want.

and removing the background altogether.

donatelloc.gif

4 image limit, sorry for double-posting.

TMNT II has some good stuff too:

coll.png

Here's Leonardo - cropped:

leo.gif

I couldn't resist recoloring his shell... again, NES graphics only allow for 4 colors for each sprite, so I guess they couldn't help coloring it green there.

leor.gif

LT: Nice work with the recoloring. Definitely the right move, and in context. Yeah, these will look good.

Same thing with Raphael:

raph.gifraphr.gif

And Michaelangelo (better crop on next page):

mike.gifmiker.gif

Donatello's graphics suck here, so... dunno about that one.

LT: Not sure what's wrong with Donatello, but try him too and let's see if it really looks bad with a tight crop around the face and and some of the staff weapon in the upper left. The others look excellent of course.

I'll give Don another shot then, and let you be the judge, but I didn't like what I got last time I tried.

Splinter, TMNT I...

splinter.gif

Without background...

splintert.gif

Shredder, TMNT III

shredder.gif

and April:

aprilc.gif

I got a little artistic when cropping those last two - their faces wouldn't fit anyway.

LT: Ouch on Shredder. Oogly. The others are good to go. I wouldn't have minded some background, but definitely nice work on the cropping; good artistic license, David.

Yeah, he was pretty ugly, but it's the only shot I have of him (except from the TMNT IV intro sequence). Wish I could make him look better. April has a white background originally, so given the gray color scheme here at OCR, I think she looks better without.

LT: Shit, I meant SPLINTER. The old rat! Shredder is badass.

Oh. Hehe.

TMNT III:

leo3.gifdon3.gifraph3.gifmike3.gif

I think these must be composed of several sprites each... since they're more than 4 colors. Not that it matters to you.

LT: Cowabunga.

Sorry for multiposting, and I guess most of them will get either a no or a no resubmit, but I figured I should at least try. :)

Starfox... (Polo made better ones, deleting mine)

Alternate cropping of Mike (TMNT II). I like this one better.

mikea.gif

TMNT4: (merged 4 pictures)

tmnt4coll.png

LT: No problem with Star Fox. That's a team effort! The alternate cropping looks even better. Nice touch.

Crops (cropping could be more interesting, I guess):

leo4.gifdon4.gifraph4.gifmike4.gif

LT: Yeah, I get what you mean, but with the pictures so large, those crops are the very best you can get, which is fine. One of my childhood favorites.

LT: As far as I know, the Yoshis with the HUGE amount of assorted colors couldn't be from SMW1, as there were only red/green/blue. I've played/beaten/100% cleared SMW1 and never saw these colors. They may simply be recolored SMW1 sprites, I wouldn't know. Anyone that can confirm/deny would be appreciated.

There were also yellow Yoshis, and yes, that sprite is recolored from SMW1. Baby Yoshis never make any appearance in SMW2 in that sprite form.

LT: Thanks, Kyle. I knew it had to something like that. I'll rework the filenames when I have a chance.

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Shut up. :)!!

It'd be cool if the forum software was able to limit posts to 1 or 2 MB of images (though I've seen people with 3 MB sigs) instead of a fixed number, or limit the total number of image pixels in one post, or something. 4 ginormous images has to be much worse for the everyday forum-goer than 5 avatar-sized ones, or as in this case, 17... or is it 21?

EDIT: 25. lol... anyway, Coop, you were 3 hours late.

There were also yellow Yoshis, and yes, that sprite is recolored from SMW1. Baby Yoshis never make any appearance in SMW2 in that sprite form.

Thanks. I really thought they looked out of place. There's your confirmation, Larry.

Um, Dafydd? Just a heads-up:

GIF format is the ONLY file format we accept.

I already converted the Starfox avatars for you (and brightened them up a touch):

starfox_falco_lombardi.gifstarfox_fox_mccloud.gifstarfox_peppy_hare.gifstarfox_slippy_toad.gif

And Liontamer - we know you've got priorities with Otakon and all. No rush.

LT: Not even just Otakon and VGL' date=' but real life is evil! Aside from The Lady and work, any other distraction from OCR is unfortunate. We've actually got another convention we're potentially in talks with, so thems the breaks. Can't prioritize these first, even though this stuff is infinitely more appealing. :'-( Nice work on Dafydd's Star Fox subs.[/color']

Oops. I'll go and convert them all, then. Thanks for the heads-up... the Starfox guys look much better now, good job!

EDIT: all the potential avatars have been switched for gifs. If it's still a png, don't consider it a "submission".

Some Battletoads...

Rash:

rash.gif

Pimple:

pimple2.gif

lol...

pimple.gif

Wanna try this one, Polo? I had a hard time cropping it...

BT&DD.png

LT: Hmm. The first two look good, but I'd prefer them with a background if possible. If not, or you'd prefer not to, no big deal, as we can roll with these. But if y'all can work something out with crops from the character select screen, let me know.

The backgrounds were originally dark purple for the first two. If you like that better, I'll change it back. What about the last one?

LT: Nah on the last one.

No killer instinct?

Combo...

combo.gif

Fulgore...

fulgore.gif

Glacius.

glacius.gif

These are all pretty bad, actually.

LT: Hahaha! You got it. Yeah, the SNES sprites of that game all looked pretty bleh when it comes down to it. It's amazing how much I liked that game back then, cuz it definitely doesn't hold up now.

Wanna try this one, Polo? I had a hard time cropping it...

BT&DD.png

My gut says Larry would call those faces "ugly," so I'll pass on your offer. But I bring tidings via your request yonder (hope you like):

bk_banjo.gifbk_kazooie.gifdkc2_k_rool.gif

K. Rool staring straight ahead looked kinda blasphemous, so I found a less offensive angle of the pirate-garbed Kremling king.

LT: The Double Dragon guys are ugly, but the Battletoads sprites are ideal. Nice work on these faux-Smash Bros. ones.

Ehelente.

Oh no, I forgot about "ugly"! All of my avatars are going to get that, I just knows it. All that work for nothing...

LT: Not to offend, but the way some of you guys get mentally conditioned by our selectivity... Have some faith, partner! :lol:

You dissed my Commander Keen sprites a while ago for that reason. That's the way they look, I can't help it if they're ugly, they're classic, and the cave story ones made it, so why not mine? It hurt - deep inside, a little boy is still gathering the pieces of a teddy bear torn apart. Oh yes.

Seriously though, the reason I asked Polo about the BT&DD ones was because I couldn't get them cropped very well - their faces are like 5 pixels too big, Pimple way more.

I've made comments to your comments to my previous posts, so go ahead and read those if you want.

I got the background back on these two:

rash.gifpimple2.gif better?

LT: I commented on the new stuff above. As for these here, maybe something other than a black background? The Toads are already rather dark (maybe too dark) and don't stand out well enough from the black background. Also, the images are a little pixelated. Dunno if that's the sprite, but if it's not, let's go for something a little smoother. Thanks for all the new stuff, BTW. I have them and will add them when I can.

It's not black - it's dark purple. But I agree it doesn't look very good. Here's the original...

btbm.bmp

EDIT: WTF, smileys count as images in the 4 image limit? Gimme a break...