Nancy

nancy1tz2.gifnancy2bb3.gif

Slash

slash2fp2.gifslash1wo3.gif

Tommy

tommy1yc9.giftommy2sh7.gif

Shinobin

shinobin1lq7.gifshinobin2fj5.gif

LT: Gonna take the first ones of Jam, Slash and Shinobin. The others either don't obviously look like faces or are just ugly. :-) Good choices though, glad to see some from this game.

Don't we have Dark Knight Cecil already? Maybe I'm just thinking of FF4A.

Yeah, I was just rounding out our collection of Cecils: FF4 Dark Knight (full sprite), FF4 Paladin (full sprite), FF4 Paladin (profile), FF4A Dark Knight (profile), and FF4A Paladin (profile).

Revisions:

sakaki2.gif Sakaki

kyon2.gif Kyon

tankman2.gif Tankman

Zelda 3 - Armos:

zelda3_armos.gif

LT: What are the source images for these anime pics? The Tankman resize isn't sharp enough, but once it is, I'm definitely gonna roll with it. Armos is an ugly sprite, so I pass.

Fire 'N Ice - Dana:

firenice_dana1.giffirenice_dana2.gif

Startropics 2: Zoda Y and Zoda Z:

startropics2_zoda_y.gifstartropics2_zoda_z.gif

LT: Took the 2nd Dana and the two palette swaps. Gracias!

The characters from Hebereke (the Japanese equivalent of Ufouria):

hebereke_hebereke.gifhebereke_ohchan.gifhebereke_sukezaemon.gifhebereke_jennifer.gif

LT: As much as I'd like to add this game, those are some ugly sprites. Gotta pass.

Rockford from Boulder Dash:

boulderdash_rockford.gif

Scooter from Menace Beach:

menacebeach_scooter.gif

Milon from Milon's Secret Castle:

milonssecretcastle_milon.gif

Jake from Totally Rad:

totallyrad_jake.gif

LT: The 1st and 3rd are cool, but I'm just not feeling those background choices.

2nd is an ugly sprite.

4th is totally rad, so that's a go.

Hey, LT, you skipped my previous post (the one with the Game Boy Megamen).

He didn't forget. He just handled SoloGamer's posts before ours out of conveniency (time, appeal, comment delivery, or whatever). Just have patience.

(Also, if you liked the first Tankmen, be sure to catch Tankmen 1.5 and Tankmen 2 if you haven't already. They're equally hilarious.)

Hrm. Well, I'll try Fire Emblem again - this time with smaller (and possibly better-looking) overworld views of the characters.

Lynlittle.jpg

Lyn

EliwoodLittle.jpg

Eliwood

Hectorlittle.jpg

Hector

NergalLittle.jpg

Nergal

Well?... do these exhibit any improvement over the first batch?... If not, I shan't give up - once I find an appropriate way to portray some Fire Emblem sprites, I shall continue with the utmost haste!

LT: Way too small and lacking in detail. No dice.

A few from Puzzle Bobble 2...

PB2.gif

In order, there's...

Willy Whistle, Unknown, Mighta, Unknown, Unknown

Unknown, Monsta, Bob, Bub, Unknown

I'm still trying to find names for the unknown ones, but thus far, no luck. Oh, and here they are without a background...

PB2a.gif

I also found out that bubblebobble_enemy.gifs name is Benzo.

LT: With the backgrounds is good, but I'm not feeling a black background. If you can switch it to something more stylish, I'd take 'em. Thanks for the info on Benzo.

No problem.

I tried out several colors (and variations of them) for the backgrounds...

PB2b.gif

PB2c.gif

PB2d.gif

PB2e.gif

Do any of them strike your fancy LT? Also, would you prefer them all on the same colored background, or should I use a few colors, and give each character whichever one works best for it (like give Bob an orange bg, Bub a pale blue bg, etc)?

LT: The light colors generally aren't giving enough contrast for the images to stand out. I'd experiment with several darker shades.

Did some tests. Most of the characters work fine with a dark BG, expect for the Chinese girl, the vampire chick, and the robot. The Vampire chick and the robot have mostly mid-range to darker colors, so they really start disappearing on a dark BG. The Chinese chick has an intensely blue dress, with dark gray hair. Finding a color for her that doesn't make her dress or her hair vanish is tough, but here's some that I came up with...

PB2BGTests1.png

PB2BGTests2.png

Thoughts?

LT: The darker shades for the first set of images definitely work better. I'm gonna sound anal, but with the 32x32 limit, I'm definitely not feeling body shot images with BGM where something reaches the edge; it just makes it look bootleg how the background color doesn't envelop the image. Maybe try to resize the images for those so they're 30 pixels tall maximum, if the resize looked good. It might be too hard to get some of these looking good on any sort of solid background color, but maybe you'll hit paydirt with other colors.

Designating them 1-10 with 1-5 being the top row and 6-10 being the bottom:

I'd take 3, 7, 8 & 9 as is, definitely. They look awesome. 1 and 5, I'd take with a different background color than that brown shade. 2, 4, 5 & 10 are the clearly the toughest to really hit a solid BG color for, as you've already found out. Sorry for taking so long in my reply, Coop. Thanks for the effort on these so far!

Revisions:

sakaki2.gif Sakaki

kyon2.gif Kyon

LT: What are the source images for these anime pics?

Sakaki is from Azumanga Daioh (source for the original art piece) and Kyon is from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (ripped from the credit sequences).

Here's Tankman, v3 (one of them's a mouth and teeth adjustment):

tankman3.giftankman4.gif

LT: Kyon is the better looking of the two anime ones, but I'd still rather have direct resizes of those.

As for Tankman, Arek & Dhsu voted for the "with teeth" edit in #ocremix, so the edited version is the winner. Being really anal, I would actually slightly gray up the solid black line forming the top of the mouth in order to make the edit blend in a bit more naturally with the rest of the image, but it still looks pretty good. Danke.

Hey, I'd like to see some Dark Link action going on, and I've got just the two sprite images to do it. They are from Oracle of Ages, when you fight the last boss.

Veran_DarkLinkSide.gif

Veran_DarkLinkFront.gif

I don't remember if they ever swing swords at you or just walk around like idiots (I think it was the latter), so those are as interesting as those get.

LT: Too small, plus you can't really see them well anyway, since the linework blends into the overall dark color. Gotta pass, sorry.

So it's not entirely clear, but can I make my own Dark Link avatar if I base it off the originals? I mean, if those are too dark, and I can make a cool one that is either lighter or looks cooler can I do that?

LT: I mean, if it looks cooler sure, you can make your own, but I'm generally low on images made from scratch, because they tend not to look that good. I'd say base it off the original sprite and lighten it or whatever you need to do in Photoshop, but yeah, you could manipulate the original image.

SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium - Nakoruru and Leona:

matchofthemillennium_nakoruru.gifmatchofthemillennium_leona.gif

Rockin' Kats - Willy:

rockinkats_willy1.gifrockinkats_willy2.gif

LT: Took the 2nd Willy sprite. This group is good to go.

Cave Story - Sue as a human (portrait, unused):

cavestory_sue_human_portrait.gif

Samurai Shodown - Tam Tam:

ss_tamtam.gif

Fire Emblem 6 - Demon Dragon:

fireemblem6_demon_dragon.gif

Fire Emblem 8 - Manakete:

fireemblem8_manakete.gif

LT: Demon Dragon is a no-go; got no idea what it's supposed to be just looking at it, so that's a pass. The rest are a go!

Most of the Guilty Gear Petit lineup (two games for the Wonderswan Color):

ggp_faces.png

(1st game)

Ky Kiske

May

Millia Rage

Potemkin

Sol Badguy

(2nd game)

Anji Mito

Axl Low

Chipp Zanuff

Jam Kuradoberi*

Johnny

Testament

Zato-1

* This is already "gg_jam.gif" in the Games: Misc. gallery, but now she has a background like the others.

LT: Thanks for mentioning Jam; I recognized it right away, but always genuinely appreciate the attention to detail. The addition of this group has facilitated the "Games: Sammy" category. Nice work!

Alrighty. #s 3, 7, 8, and 9 as they were, and #s 1 and 6 with non-brown BG colors...

http://www.geocities.com/arforfaborb/Bob1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/arforfaborb/Bub1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/arforfaborb/Mighta1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/arforfaborb/Monsta1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/arforfaborb/UnknownCat1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/arforfaborb/WillyWhistle1.gif

And here's a few color experiments with the other four. They've been trimmed to 30x30 or less...

FinalFour1.gif

Thoughts?

LT: The already approved are awesome; good to go!

You're gonna hit me over the head with a plank of wood, but for the other ones, I'm definitely not feeling those BG colors. The contrast is always odd. I blame Taito! I dunno, they may be a lost cause. :'-(

Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack before the Yoshi's Island character influx):

pdp_chars_6_36.png

Favorites can be grabbed from here.

LT: Added the series, thanks! Fixed some mistakes in the character names. http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/ta_pdp.shtml#char

Excellent stuff. Along with the Tetris Attack avatars, these are now in a new category called Nintendo ~ Puzzle League!

North and South:

north_and_south_peeps.png

The top row shows player-controlled ranks (hence the flag backgrounds); bottom row is computer-controlled ("com" in the game). Wasn't sure which backgrounds worked better.

Individuals are located here.

LT: Kinda ugly sprites, but they have their charm. I added all 6 with the Player backgrounds, since I liked those backgrounds better than the Com ones. Cool game choice!

Kunio from Downtown (the Japanese version of River City Ransom):

downtown_kunio1.gifdowntown_kunio2.gif

LT: Bueno.

The Cheetahmen (Action 52 appearances):

cheetahmen_apollo.gifcheetahmen_aries.gifcheetahmen_hercules.gif

LT: Ha, about the only way I'd ever add ugly sprites like these is if they were the Cheetahmanz!

The Kid from I Wanna Be The Guy:

iwbtg_thekid.gif

LT: Bueno. Interesting Wiki article.