Sign in to follow this  
Joyzilla

Forum Avatars - RIP

I guess this is where I would ask...

Can we get a new StarCraft icon so I don't need this medic one? A Protoss one would be preferable, but I'd settle for any cooler male character.

Thanks,

jacfalcon

All of the Starcraft faces would do nicely... I think. I don't know how big they are though, or if cropping them is a good idea.

EDIT: If these don't need too much work, I can make more... I have a feeling you won't like the brightness (or lack thereof) in these, but they're faithful screenshots from the game. In case you don't recognize them, they're from warcraft II.

war2grunt.gifwar2troll.gifwar2footman.gifwar2archer.gif

Grunt, Troll Axethrower, Footman, Elven Archer.

Give them all the same level of brightness + contrast to keep them looking like they belong in a group. One way to do it is to put them all in the same .png file (no transparency) and then experiment with the variables until they all look just right.

Good idea. I'll try that.

Ok, I just noticed that in this game, the images I've been making here apparently take different colors depending on what team you're playing... *sigh*, and so, some of them are blue and some are red. Not good. I'll redo those that need redoing (Humans should be blue, Orcs red, based on the campaign game settings). Meanwhile, I'd like some input on the ones below (if any is good enough, please don't add any of them yet, since I need to redo some of them...). I did as Polo suggested and came up with this. I increased contrast and brightness as well as added some saturation (otherwise they got a little grayish and dead). So... thoughts?

EDIT: They're all fixed now.

war2.gif

So, from left to right, top to bottom... (O = Orc, H = Human)

Grunt (O), Troll (O), Footman (H), Elven Archer (H), Knight (H),

Peon (O), Peasant (H), Ogre (O), Gnomish Flying Machine (H), Knight (H) (alternate, I prefer the first one),

Berserker (O), Elven Ranger (H), Gryphon Rider (H) (I spelled it wrong last time), Death Knight (O), Critter (Seal),

Paladin (H), Mage (H), Ogre-Mage (O), Goblin Zeppelin (O).

Also, here are some that I didn't manage to crop with any good results... feel free to try. They have been brightened the same way as the ones above.

war2cropme.gif

Dwarven Demolision Squad (H), Dragon (O), Goblin Sappers (O).

Bonus: Orc Cursor! war2orccursor.gif Same effects applied here.

LT: Nice work on the brightness fixes. Thanks to Polo for his advice, you definitely took it and ran with it well. Lemme know when you're set on the proper colors and then I'll see what makes it in.

Also, here are some that I didn't manage to crop with any good results... feel free to try. They have been brightened the same way as the ones above.

war2cropme.gif

Sure, why not. Been ages since I played this game.

wc2_dds.gifwc2_dragon.gifwc2_gs.gif

LT: See, you have the mindset for it. You definitely picked the best crops here, nice work. I'll wait until David is set, then add what I'm taking into the database.

I edited my post above, but it seems you missed the edit - I'm all done with the colors. Add the ones you want and tell me if there's anything I can do about the ones you don't.

Split 'em up again, now that LT approves the brightness level. If you want, you can list the urls in one post to save space.

Also, I noticed even more groups in the avatar gallery: Nintendo ~ F-Zero, Nintendo ~ Mother, and Studio Pixel. :nicework: Larry!

Dear Liontamer,

It appears my current avatar is gone. If I change it, is it gone forever?

Love,

Doug

Dear DrumUltimA,

No. It's only gone because you have it currently selected. Once you change it, the new one will vanish from your list, and the old one will reappear.

Backwards Pantless Hugs™ and Hershey's Kisses,

The Coop

...3. Clarifying 3, the only way you can get a custom avatar is to have some sort of standing in the community to me. Then you'd have to make it and have me approve it.

Don't wanna sound whinny or anything but that's kinda unfair, but I have no say in the matter.:?

Don't wanna sound whinny or anything but that's kinda unfair

How? Pretty much everyone else in the community has a pre-existing avatar.

(I ripped my current avatar myself and got it approved, btw)

I think he was referring to what LT said - only those who have some sort of standing in the community can expect to have the avatars they suggest in the project thread added to the avatar gallery. I agree that's fair. Your standing in the community shouldn't affect whether you can contribute or not. If you post good-looking, relevant avatars, your post count (or whatever else LT was referring to) shouldn't affect whether they are added or not.

This is of course unless by "custom" avatar you mean one that no one else can use... or unless I misunderstood the whole argument.

...The only way you can get a custom avatar is to have some sort of standing in the community to me. Then you'd have to make it and have me approve it.

I interpreted Liontamer's post like this:"If I don't think you deserve a custom avatar because you are insignificant to the community then your not getting custom avatar" or something around those lines but I doubt that was what he meant.:|

Edit:

This is of course unless by "custom" avatar you mean one that no one else can use...

I didn't mean that at all.

I think he was referring to what LT said - only those who have some sort of standing in the community can expect to have the avatars they suggest in the project thread added to the avatar gallery. I agree that's fair. Your standing in the community shouldn't affect whether you can contribute or not. If you post good-looking, relevant avatars, your post count (or whatever else LT was referring to) shouldn't affect whether they are added or not.

This is of course unless by "custom" avatar you mean one that no one else can use... or unless I misunderstood the whole argument.

Nah, to clarify, anyone can submit avatars to be added. Doesn't matter who you are. But if you want a custom avatar that only you can use, you need to been established in the community from my point of view.

Guys like F4T4L, Dhsu, and The Orichalcon all have custom avatars because they've all contributed to OCR with their ReMixes, and they all made their avatars themselves. No offense, but why am I going to let someone have their own exclusive avatar, if I don't know that they're gonna stick around in the community or give back something in the way of music?

It should be noted though that with so many avatars, if you have a pretty rare/esoteric one added, the odds that it will be used by a lot of people are low.

Nah, to clarify, anyone can submit avatars to be added. Doesn't matter who you are. But if you want a custom avatar that only you can use, you need to been established in the community from my point of view.

Guys like F4T4L, Dhsu, and The Orichalcon all have custom avatars because they've all contributed to OCR with their ReMixes, and they all made their avatars themselves. No offense, but why am I going to let someone have their own exclusive avatar, if I don't know that they're gonna stick around in the community or give back something in the way of music?

It should be noted though that with so many avatars, if you have a pretty rare/esoteric one added, the odds that it will be used by a lot of people are low.

I didn't realize Dhsu or the others had a custom avatar! Interesting. I misunderstood the meaning of "custom" avatar. I agree with your reasoning here. So, these custom avatars - couldn't these people have done what e.g. I do and posted them in the thread? Were they too ugly to be accepted? Or was it just really important to them to have one that no one else had?

I didn't realize Dhsu or the others had a custom avatar! Interesting. I misunderstood the meaning of "custom" avatar. I agree with your reasoning here. So, these custom avatars - couldn't these people have done what e.g. I do and posted them in the thread? Were they too ugly to be accepted? Or was it just really important to them to have one that no one else had?

Why would allow anything I thought was too ugly? Nah, they wanted them exclusively for themselves. If you ever want one, you've done some major heavy lifting on the avatar project (and mascots project); I'd have no problem giving you one. I haven't asked, because I've noticed you switch around a lot.

Why would allow anything I thought was too ugly? Nah, they wanted them exclusively for themselves. If you ever want one, you've done some major heavy lifting on the avatar project (and mascots project); I'd have no problem giving you one. I haven't asked, because I've noticed you switch around a lot.

Heh, thanks. No, you're right, I do switch around a lot. If I ever find something I think I can stick with, I'll let you know :wink: Besides, I think I'm alone using the one I have now... haha.

Thanks for moving this conversation to the appropriate thread, btw. It was getting a little long for the one it was in. While I'm at it, I was wondering: Are there ever going to be animated avatars, even custom ones? And do the custom avatars need to be relevant (i.e. game related)?

Suzu, your current avatar is a part of you. If you change it now, after - what - years (?), it'll be like getting facial plastic surgery irl. :-D I don't see why LT would deny you one though...

Anyway, I still haven't seen any comments on my last warcraft2 avatar post on the previous page.