Artist Appreciation Competition 2015

shadow24

Mike, I think the bell / gong pad type instrument is clipping. That is probably the culprit. Solo it to see and try EQing / gain adjustment. At say (0:15 to 0:17) and (0:23 to 0:25) the reverberations from it are easy to hear going over.

The song you sent me is on the loudness level of say Garpocalypse's entry.

I don't know what DAW you use but if its FL Studio 10 this may help out.

. At least the concepts will definately apply to other DAWs.

Some music players automatically detect clipping and lower the volume of the track to compensate for it.

Edited by shadow24

these arrangements of Erik Satie's music (downloads to the left) - they have a cool hybrid synth/mellotron instrumentation, and the same hybrid style is going here.

ohh wow, thx for showing me this link. listened (and downloaded) a lot of his songs so far and i can totally see the resemblence ur talking about.

Mike, I think the bell / gong pad type instrument is clipping. That is probably the culprit. Solo it to see and try EQing / gain adjustment. At say (0:15 to 0:17) and (0:23 to 0:25) the reverberations from it are easy to hear going over.

I don't know what DAW you use but if its FL Studio 10 this may help out.

. At least the concepts will definately apply to other DAWs.

Some music players automatically detect clipping and lower the volume of the track to compensate for it.

That actually makes me happy to hear that the song is clipping.lol. I actually gave u the amplified version anticipating that the emails would do the reduced volume. (secret tests FTW! 8-))

Ohh and I don't know why I was trying to make it sound like a freakin secret to all u guys by constantly saying DAW, but ya I have Fl studios.lol.my bad.

also, thx for sharing that link, I'm going to do another test and see if that solution would resolve all my troubles.

(I mean of course I know clipping and going above the 0 DB on the master track is bad and never aim to be close that limit. but I I'll just set my DB's lower than my usual preference for this test and hopefully get a positive result.)

The orchestra sucks.

I need to buy better samples. Edirol is so eughwinegon

I would think you could improve the current samples a lot with attention to timing, attack of the instruments and EQ (and maybe layering for thicker textures). Not sure if there's a orchestral sample library especially built to be combined with rock anyway. ;) Not that I knew what I was talking about here though, since I haven't tried combining these sorts of instrumentations myself.

ohh wow, thx for showing me this link. listened (and downloaded) a lot of his songs so far and i can totally see the resemblence ur talking about.

I'm glad to hear that you checked them out & liked them! I think that music is very good and I'm happy to hear it gets appreciated.

goodnewseveryone.png

Shit has been fixed!

Turns out it was several small things that combined into one big issue. some of the issues being technical while others were just my fault for forgetting or overlooking the little things.

Either way, I'm hella juiced that things are back to normal and I just want to thank u guys again for ur support and feedback as its been a freakin roller coaster ride for me this past week.lol

Hooray! I didn't realize this was going on! And the bracket is confusing so I can't even tell when I'm supposed to go! :-D

edit: My first round was on the 19th? Yeaaaah... I wouldn't have made that anyway, that was the day I wrecked my car and I was in pain that whole time, wouldn't have finished a song. But I'll try next time!

Edited by Brandon Strader

I would think you could improve the current samples a lot with attention to timing, attack of the instruments and EQ (and maybe layering for thicker textures). Not sure if there's a orchestral sample library especially built to be combined with rock anyway. ;) Not that I knew what I was talking about here though, since I haven't tried combining these sorts of instrumentations myself.

I'm glad to hear that you checked them out & liked them! I think that music is very good and I'm happy to hear it gets appreciated.

I honestly amped up the attack of these things as much as I could like I squeezed everything out of the particular samples that I have, there's a reason Edirol Orchestral isn't supported anymore.

My options were slight and while there was some weird chords there I was trying to... evoke some more of the harmony? Looks like I failed in that regard though lol. I just need some samples that I don't feel like I need to hide really.

Remixes where I use SSD can't be pushed as loud due to the sharp transients of the kick and snare. The result should be extremely punchy drums but they almost never turn out that way. There must be something i'm missing production wise and i'm not sure what it is.

Remixes where I use SSD can't be pushed as loud due to the sharp transients of the kick and snare. The result should be extremely punchy drums but they almost never turn out that way. There must be something i'm missing production wise and i'm not sure what it is.

You saying you can't go loud with slate drums? You're slating wrong 8)

Uploading my entry now! Thoughts on the last round:

MushroomSword - Pretty nice. :<

Ghetto Lee Lewis - Strong production and arrangement here. The vocal pitch is a bit off the mark, though, which is really distracting for me.

Jonathan! - Some great ideas mixed with weaker execution. 2:02 is kind of an awkward transition into a pretty well-written section at 2:07. Something could be done to help the drums fit in better--not sure if it's the volume, samples, timing, or some combination.

Reviews!

Ghetto Lee Lewis: I love this track. It's outside of my normal genres to listen to but it is so damn catchy (I spent an entire day at work with in my head). The production is pretty fantastic, really enjoyed the intro and the little piano sketch at the end. Out of interest, is 0:33 an intentional reference to Eminem's Lose Yourself?

MushroomSword I also really enjoyed listening to this one. It has a very nintendo-ish quality to me, I can envisage Yoshi jumping over some clouds as I listen to it. It is well written, has a great arrangement and has some very solid performances in it.

---------------------------

If anyone is planning on reviewing my track, would it be possible to use the version in the link below instead of the submitted version please? I have tried to mix it (tried being a very important word here ;D) and I rerecorded the guitar after having tuned it! (all the material in my submission was just my initial ideas from when I was arranging it and I never had the time to rerecord any of it)

Thanks!

(link to newer version : https://www.dropbox.com/s/jb1hwjy488hdv3w/Jonathan%21%20-%20Breathless%20Scavenger%20%28FTL%20Advanced%20Edition%20-%20Lanius%29%202.mp3?dl=0 )

Charlie round one voting is closed.

Alpha round two mixes are up. (If there are issues with links or anything let me know)

Bravo round two can start mixing this week.

No rush reminders

-----------------

Cosmic Sounds - Provide Money Order Info

Garpocalypse - Accept Payment On Paypal

-----------------

You guys are awfully quiet.... No smack talk or anything. Feels like a library

Edited by shadow24

You guys are awfully quiet.... No smack talk or anything. Feels like a library

I work in a library. Silence is in my blood.

Gario - What, didn't get the memo about this being a La-Mulana round? Shameful. Despite this egregious mistake, it's a very solid, very Gario track (if I said that about the last one, I'm saying it more about this one). 1:00-1:10 is my favorite bit of arrangement.

supercoolmike - I think you did a better job hitting the tone you were going for this time compared to your first entry. The production and writing are working together more. It takes some careful listening to recognize the source; there's a lot of it there, but it's altered a bit more than I like in a remix.

I'd hoped we would see more entrants. Oh well. Podium placings for all! :< Looks like rwickline11 made an account, signed up for the competition, and hasn't so much as logged in since.

When life gives you lemons...

Make awesome chiptunes cuz you know... Hylian...

or in Haiku...

When life gives Lemon

Hylian be there to mix

Cuz eye squirtage wrong

Host ever so bored

Might make haiku of Strader

Bacon eludes me

Five syllables here

Another seven right here

Are you happy now?

Edited by shadow24

Get a flippin' job!