OCR-linked knowledgebase + hosting

I've had the domain SoundTempest.net for a few years, but it really has been just sitting there and not doing anything. I have a good deal of space and bandwidth available on the account. My question is this: how many people would peruse the site if I set it up to be a knowledgebase mirroring what's available here at the forums? Relevant threads, posts, discussions, tutorials, and reviews could be compiled and posted there to be preserved with relative ease. Useful soundfonts, programs, or samples could be exchanged without having to worry about going through services like rapidshare. I'd be willing to host songs, clips, and WIPs as well.

The idea wouldn't be to replace the forums here, obviously, but to supplement them. Even with vBulletin coming up I think that these forums are best used for discussion.. over time we've had such a massive buildup of stickied threads and informative posts that I think it's becoming a little overwhelming for people. Organizing that static information into an all-in-one resource seems logical.

Thoughts?

Do it. OCR is so much to so many people and yet it could be so much more. The forum is a forum - doing what you're suggesting would really turn this into a community, in my opinion. Expand your empire. I don't know what you're planning on in terms of logins and such, but it'd be cool if the forum logins could somehow be synchronized with that of whatever you're planning on making, in case having usernames and such is of relevance there. One thing I'd like to see is a more organized list of requests - that forum is a mess and it would be much better if there was a list that included all current requests and perhaps a voting system so that people could see what game/song is most requested, in case they're interested, similar to this.

the Coop's OCR quirks could go there too, if he wants it to. There could also have some kind of OCR history there, telling the newbies about the great flamewars, without having to worry about assholes editing wiki entries and such. I think that that would be an interesting read, but maybe it's best if the new site only comprises sound/music related thingies, I don't know. Hey, how about OCReMix music videos? Hahah :) I'm not saying any of this should be done right now, but it could be eventually. I'm looking forward to this happening.

it's a kind gesture but i don't know what the value of it would be.

the remixing forum works well for sharing advice, techniques, methodologies and answering questions with somewhat of a community-feel.. but as a resource it is inadequate.

i don't think this forum offers enough helpful and accurate information to function as a knowledgebase. there are already resources out there that take on this task quite well.

all we really need here are just a few stickies that answer the most frequently asked questions and some informed participating members to handle the rest.

but in the end i don't know, maybe it would be a big hit -- if you think you can make it work then go for it.

cheers.

it's a kind gesture but i don't know what the value of it would be.

the remixing forum works well for sharing advice, techniques, methodologies and answering questions with somewhat of a community-feel.. but as a resource it is inadequate.

i don't think this forum offers enough helpful and accurate information to function as a knowledgebase. there are already resources out there that take on this task quite well.

all we really need here are just a few stickies that answer the most frequently asked questions and some informed participating members to handle the rest.

but in the end i don't know, maybe it would be a big hit -- if you think you can make it work then go for it.

cheers.

You bring up some salient points. Other suggestions for what I could do with this webspace - community related, of course - would be appreciated.

Like I suggested before, some sort of live performers database, or even a general collaborators database, would be great; the live performers thread is alright, but the first post is out of date and one really has to wade through the whole thread to see what's available. A more organized, updated database could be extremely useful.

But that would probably take up only a small amount of space.

I do think this community would benefit from having a central knowledge base-type place.

You bring up some salient points. Other suggestions for what I could do with this webspace - community related, of course - would be appreciated.

right, i wish i wasn't criticizing without offering better ideas, but i'm really drawing a blank.

it may be a solution in search of a problem.

i have always felt the best thing for the remixing forum would be to get more remixers involved.

it would be a great thing if this forum was more about sharing remixing techniques and ideas rather than feeding information to novices -- not that there's anything wrong with that.

some sort of live performers database, or even a general collaborators database, would be great; the live performers thread is alright, but the first post is out of date and one really has to wade through the whole thread to see what's available. A more organized, updated database could be extremely useful.

it's likely that you would run into the same problem with the database as you were with the thread: no one maintaining it properly. i don't think a technical solution is the answer.

if you feel the current performers thread is not being maintained properly, the most helpful (and commendable) thing you could do is extract all the useful information from it, organize it yourself, and create a new thread and do a good job of maintaining it. take initiative.

cheers.

if you feel the current performers thread is not being maintained properly, the most helpful (and commendable) thing you could do is extract all the useful information from it, organize it yourself, and create a new thread and do a good job of maintaining it.

That had not even occurred to me. Perhaps I will.

when I'm feeling less lazy than I am now.

Or you could do a wiki....
feeding information to novices

I shudder at the thought that a completely clueless 11-year old with a hacked copy of FL Studio is going to tell me stuff about synthesizers and how 3xosc > Minimoog.

The idea behind a domain is simple:

- get rid of all the bloody stickies nobody bothers to read anyway

- get rid of all the excess information in all those stickies that make 'm so hard to read.

You'd definitely need a keyword search of sorts; and while a Wiki provides this I'd only hand out accounts to a few people.

Everynow and then there is a thread that comes up that has a bunch of really good techniques. For example, there was one a while back about how to program for guitar on the piano roll. It stayed up the top for a week or so, then disapered under a mass of nooby threads. Its probably deleted now.

Anyways, my point is that even if this did nothing but mirror those most excellent threads, it would be worth its weight in gold. So I say, go crazy.