OCR03419 - Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3 "The Ballad of Bowser's Balls"

Liontamer

I certainly did smile at this!  

After I turned my volume down, anyway--this is seriously loud, and the compression pumping is a bit much for my taste, even after the adjustments Gario asked for.  Heavy but appropriate use of SFX, but most importantly, the fun Kris had in making this clearly shines through.  Good stuff!

God Bless America, if you wanted SFX you are going to get it right in the face. Truly, and I know this sounds odd, I'm glad the Remixer went the whole way. Any less would have been an annoying amount of SFX; by going whole hog, it truly transforms to an arrangement that knows what it is and delivers in its own kooky way. Also props for the pacing and adjustments as it continues. Bonus props for the ending, which made me laugh. Well-delivered!

Very nice take on the well-trodden themes! It's creative, but kind of not in-your-face. For instance, I was appreciating the subtle melody alteration of the SMB1 main theme once I saw it pointed out by DaMonz but I didn't notice it casually. Similarly, the fireball sound usage is fantastic! It's like a ska/reggae guitar chord on the upbeat. But if Sir_NutS hadn't pointed it out in the judging, I probably wouldn't have noticed right now. The mastering is a bit loud for my tastes, and I felt the arrangement was a bit on the short side actually. Perhaps I also agree with the nutty one about SFX usage in the sense that a little reprieve from it before the final bits would've been nice at one point or another, but I thought the musical integration was really well done, even the "it's-a-me" at the beginning with the rhythmic stuttering done to it. I thought the choice of the beat was good as well, it was an element that transformed the sources on its own as well. Good job!

• 7 years later...