Deadpigeon

Fl studio

28 posts in this topic

Heya ill start off by saying ive never really produced my own music before and im not entirly sure what to do or technical terms and all, But im extreamly interested to learn and wanted to ask about fl studio as im considering saving up to buy the producer edition. 

is fl studio a good all rounder for recording and mixing as well as making electonic music? Definatly wanna experiment heaps and try my hand at trap, phytrance etc,  but i would still love to port the drumkit and guitars into the program and do some of my old hardcore tunes from my band days.

Would it be worth the money? Appologies i just dont know alot about these kinds of programs but cheers for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Deadpigeon said:

is fl studio a good all rounder for recording and mixing as well as making electonic music?

No. Small disclaimer, it's been several years since I've touched it:

It's fantastic for electronic music given its pattern-based system (which is unique to it), its piano roll, and it has some pretty great built-in effects for that kind of music, but I would not say it's a good all-rounder.

Why? For starters, you're looking to record as well. I can confirm that recording audio in it is a real pain. You have to choose where you're saving each of your takes, select exactly what track on the mixer will be recording (god help you if you start recording with the wrong one selected), you have to choose a particular option each time you record any take, you can't properly overdub takes. It's a freakin' mess, dude.

Next, you cannot change time signatures. A simple, standard feature in every DAW. I hope all your songs from band days are in 4/4 all the way through.

If you're looking for a good, affordable all-rounder, look no further than Reaper by Cockos. Suitable for all kinds of music, super-easy to record with and use in general, it handles MIDI very well, has tons of great community made mods and enhancements, is regularly updated, and its "trial version" is fully functional and the trial never ends. However, if you want to get rid of the nag screen and just do the right thing, it costs like 60 bucks to buy a personal/small business license if you make less than six figures on your music. Cheaper than literally everyone else.

No bullshit, you can not go wrong with Reaper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah thanks heaps! I honestly really want to make electronic music but i want the freedom to be able to experiment and mix my instrumentals and electo together, And not having to use 3 different types of programs would be a plus too. Thanks heaps ill check reaper out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2018 at 12:31 AM, AngelCityOutlaw said:

No. Small disclaimer, it's been several years since I've touched it:

It's fantastic for electronic music given its pattern-based system (which is unique to it), its piano roll, and it has some pretty great built-in effects for that kind of music, but I would not say it's a good all-rounder.

Why? For starters, you're looking to record as well. I can confirm that recording audio in it is a real pain. You have to choose where you're saving each of your takes, select exactly what track on the mixer will be recording (god help you if you start recording with the wrong one selected), you have to choose a particular option each time you record any take, you can't properly overdub takes. It's a freakin' mess, dude.

Next, you cannot change time signatures. A simple, standard feature in every DAW. I hope all your songs from band days are in 4/4 all the way through.

If you're looking for a good, affordable all-rounder, look no further than Reaper by Cockos. Suitable for all kinds of music, super-easy to record with and use in general, it handles MIDI very well, has tons of great community made mods and enhancements, is regularly updated, and its "trial version" is fully functional and the trial never ends. However, if you want to get rid of the nag screen and just do the right thing, it costs like 60 bucks to buy a personal/small business license if you make less than six figures on your music. Cheaper than literally everyone else.

No bullshit, you can not go wrong with Reaper.

 

Actually, you can change time signatures. You go to settings, project, and then it gives you a number for beats per bar and steps per beat. Change the number to whatever time signature you want and presto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FLStudio is also finally adding time signature changing in-song with FLStudio 20 (the next version coming out this year), I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

FLStudio is also finally adding time signature changing in-song with FLStudio 20 (the next version coming out this year), I believe.

Nope. You can do it right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you change the time signature of a playlist mid-song? Pretty sure that's something they teased for the next version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, MAP3Music said:

Actually, you can change time signatures. You go to settings, project, and then it gives you a number for beats per bar and steps per beat. Change the number to whatever time signature you want and presto.

You can't do it mid song and as I recall, you only get X / 4 time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MAP3Music said:

Your first link is condescending.  Your second one says it's not possible, and the workaround is just to write in triplets (or whatever) and ignore the time signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry about that, I thought I had linked a video and not a search result. Here is the video I was trying to link

And no, it doesn't seem like you can actually change the time signature mid song. I apologize if I came off as condescending or rude, that was definitely not my intent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Years in or something close to that if counting TIME. I PERSONALLY like Fl Studio as a DAW i am using for my stuff, but it is really about more of personal WORKFLOW, as in if you feel like making your stuff better in something else, you should use it. It is totally all about the workflow as in whenever YOU MAGNIFICENT FUCK get used to something and know how to do it, then do it you fuck. As long as you feel comfortable doing it !! I'm just sayin'

All DAWs are basically the same, as long as you have your way of workflow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

Are you okay? @ShadowRaz

For Shizzle My Brizzle. Why ya asking? Do I seem odd or something? I mean in my opinion the message about Fl Studio is quite accurate as in personally i like the workflow of it and i recommend it if you like the workflow of it too. For example when composing, the piano roll is really awesome and quite easy to use, and the playlist really brings the whole project structure design together in a clean way which you can personalize too. But truth be told i am drunk currently as i have been for few days now even though haven't been at all for a long time. Makes me somehow more social and hence i got back to this forum too and i'm swearing and also have some American gangsta influence running through my style of translation writing as i have been heavy watcher of tv-shows and movies. I mean i speak with slang on my mother language too but it is different thing all together obviously as in it has more to do something with the location of the parts of Finland where you have learned to speak, rather than some gangsta "friend group" movements or something like that. Laughing out loud man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of FL is it true Rewire can downgrade the quality of other DAWs? Down the track I wanna get Cubase, Vocaloid and Super Audio Kart and use them with FL, but not if it will downgrade the sound quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a reason why it would and it's the first I've heard of it. FL also has a VST plugin if you want to use it in another DAW.


Also curious why you want to use Cubase with FL? Rewire was mostly a workaround for the limitations of programs like Reason, for modern DAWs it seems to me that they're all capable enough where using them simultaneously isn't that worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ringworm128 said:

On the subject of FL is it true Rewire can downgrade the quality of other DAWs? Down the track I wanna get Cubase, Vocaloid and Super Audio Kart and use them with FL, but not if it will downgrade the sound quality. 

No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 've never really been a fan of Fruity Loops or FL Studio.

Compared to other DAWs it doesn't seem have that great performance (seems to use a lot of hardware power - even on mid or high-end PC systems).
It might contain some good synthesizers - but the VSTIs (software instruments) in the FL Studio repertoire seem to be not that realistic/useful.
It's even lacking in some really useful metering systems which nearly every good DAW contains - even in its standard version.

And they still seem to not have managed to remove that crappy pattern system as they promised.
Compared to the normal track system the pattern system has no additional use and it's just annoying not to get straight to the track if you are a newcomer.

Inconvenient, less intuitive software interface for beginners to get in, lacking in some higher quality VSTI stuff and in many points totally overrated - that 's FL Studio in my opinion, compared to ther DAWs.

There are much better DAWs out there for the price of the FL studio All Plugins Bundle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there are several highlights about FL Studio, most of which I don't see in other DAWs...

  • The parametric EQ 2 plugin is by far the most useful that I have ever used. Its visual representation of frequencies is absolutely critical to my workflow, personally, because I can simply look for what frequencies are clashing, even if I can't quite locate it by listening. If I didn't have that, my workflow would probably be at least twice as slow.
     
  • The pattern system is actually useful for workflow... it's meant to assist in writing electronic music, which will have repeating elements. They can be copy/pasted, and Make Unique helps in making quick variations. It may take some getting used to, but if Image-Line removed that, I'm sure most users would complain at this point since they're used to using it. Who ever said that they "promised to remove it"...?
     
  • The piano roll is filled with useful workflow features, like the following:
    • Ghost notes, for complex harmony writing.
    • Resize groups of notes by holding right-Shift and resizing from the right. Good for writing polyrhythms, triplets, etc., without changing the grid snap.
    • Copy/paste groups of notes or patterns into the next bar (Ctrl+B), good for writing, e.g. bass or hi hat ostinatos.
    • Mini-playlist preview right above it, good if the pattern is long and you want to see where you are.
    • Change the time-signature within the piano roll pattern, separately from within the playlist (say, if you wanted to write a 15/8 bar in the playlist that was 4/4 + 7/8 in the pattern).
    • and so on.
       
  • TOOLS > "Dump score log to selected pattern" allows you to paste what you have been playing on your MIDI keyboard for up to the last 2, 5, 10, 20, or 30 minutes, if you realize you played something cool by accident but you don't remember what you played.
     
  • Free lifetime updates! Need I say more?

Have you tried it first, before judging...?

-----

In regards to the OP, @Deadpigeon, FL20 is now much improved in recording capabilities, and I can sincerely recommend it for both writing electronic music and recording band instruments, after the new update! Of course, you can try the trial version for as long as you like, before deciding (the only drawback is you can't re-open a project file you saved in the trial mode using the trial mode).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, timaeus222 said:

Well, there are several highlights about FL Studio, most of which I don't see in other DAWs...

  • The parametric EQ 2 plugin is by far the most useful that I have ever used. Its visual representation of frequencies is absolutely critical to my workflow, personally, because I can simply look for what frequencies are clashing, even if I can't quite locate it by listening. If I didn't have that, my workflow would probably be at least twice as slow.
     
  • The pattern system is actually useful for workflow... it's meant to assist in writing electronic music, which will have repeating elements. They can be copy/pasted, and Make Unique helps in making quick variations. It may take some getting used to, but if Image-Line removed that, I'm sure most users would complain at this point since they're used to using it. Who ever said that they "promised to remove it"...?
     
  • The piano roll is filled with useful workflow features, like the following:
    • Ghost notes, for complex harmony writing.
    • Resize groups of notes by holding right-Shift and resizing from the right. Good for writing polyrhythms, triplets, etc., without changing the grid snap.
    • Copy/paste groups of notes or patterns into the next bar (Ctrl+B), good for writing, e.g. bass or hi hat ostinatos.
    • Mini-playlist preview right above it, good if the pattern is long and you want to see where you are.
    • Change the time-signature within the piano roll pattern, separately from within the playlist (say, if you wanted to write a 15/8 bar in the playlist that was 4/4 + 7/8 in the pattern).
    • and so on.
       
  • TOOLS > "Dump score log to selected pattern" allows you to paste what you have been playing on your MIDI keyboard for up to the last 2, 5, 10, 20, or 30 minutes, if you realize you played something cool by accident but you don't remember what you played.
     
  • Free lifetime updates! Need I say more?

Have you tried it first, before judging...?

-----

In regards to the OP, @Deadpigeon, FL20 is now much improved in recording capabilities, and I can sincerely recommend it for both writing electronic music and recording band instruments, after the new update! Of course, you can try the trial version for as long as you like, before deciding (the only drawback is you can't re-open a project file you saved in the trial mode using the trial mode).

 

  • Most DAW's have parametric EQ's with visualizers.
  • Patterns are nice but constricting when they're the only option; S1's implementation of patterns are better because they're optional. (the rest of this point is just an opinion, can skip) Patterns only work for all types of music after a few years of learning how to work around them to write what you want (in other words, not outright prohibitive, but an annoying philosophical hindrance). They also leave 0 parity with the arrangement view. In other DAW's, when you create a MIDI clip in the timeline, it exists there in the timeline; when you automate CC in the piano roll, it's the same automation displayed in the timeline. In the piano roll you can just see everything on the track across the timeline, not just the clip you have selected. This allows for a more comprehensive and holistic view of your music instead of thinking of it as a complex combination of independent objects, which rarely works unless you're writing electronic music. When working with patterns, you're constantly doing mental bookkeeping to remember how the pattern object fits into the rest of the music, because the piano roll sure as hell isn't going to tell you. The little mini-preview they added helps, but it's still a flawed design.
  • Every single DAW has a piano roll.
    • Couple other DAWs' ghost note implementations are vastly superior to FL in that they don't require you to funnel all your part-writing into a single pattern object (making it useless for arrangement view, since it's just a single-track jambled mess). Additionally, a DAW like S1 actually lets you edit the multiple midi channels at the same time, instead of only being able to view them. This is pretty crucial when transposing or altering chords across several patches at once.
    • Literally every DAW has a duplicate bar function. In S1 you just highlight notes and hit D.
    • DAW's like Reason also have mini playlist views.
    • FL is like the last DAW to have allowed good time sig changes.

Am just responding to "most of which I don't see in other DAW's", it's more like the other way around, most DAW's have most of these things except some key differences like lifetime free updates, and then patterns, which I don't think is really advantageous at all to anyone except people who have it as their first music production experience. And even then, not so much, did it for 8 years and then switched off and never miss it. There's nothing patterns can do that other DAW's can't.

There's other stuff I don't miss about FL, like the amount of clicks it takes to do stuff. Setting up multi-midi channel samplers is freaking horrifying. In S1 it takes about 4 or 5 seconds to get 16 Kontakt MIDI channels and 16 corresponding mixer outputs. Also, lack of native MIDI support in that area, having to link your controller's knobs to manually configured CC knobs inside the MIDI out channel just to get stuff like modwheel and sustain pedal? Ridiculous.

Also, applying FX to audio clips is something lightyears faster in S1, you can just put FX on the clip itself, and then print in place (good for sound design electro segments). In FL you have to assign the audio clip a mixer channel.

There's also that horrid behavior where you can slice stuff but they're still part of that one "clip" object instead of splitting into independent data. Audio editing in general is bad in FL because everything is abstracted into clip containers, and doing simple volume crossfades between two overlapping clips is a whole ordeal instead of hitting something like "X" in other DAW's. Don't even get me started on "automation clips".

It just seems like everything I'd want to do in a DAW takes extra effort to pull off in FL Studio.

I get that people really like it and are comfortable with it, but you can work with anything to create great music. The usage and the users are not a testament to good design or learning curve. So I'll never recommend FL to anyone, but I'd never be bothered if I had to work with someone who used it, since I'd trust them to know how to coerce the spaghetti to get a good result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PRYZM said:

Couple other DAWs' ghost note implementations are vastly superior to FL in that they don't require you to funnel all your part-writing into a single pattern object (making it useless for arrangement view, since it's just a single-track jambled mess). Additionally, a DAW like S1 actually lets you edit the multiple midi channels at the same time, instead of only being able to view them. This is pretty crucial when transposing or altering chords across several patches at once.

Yeah, this one is also a big one for me. Reaper allows you to edit multiple MIDI channels and see ghost notes, turn them on/off, etc. with no hassle.

As for the piano roll thing, most DAWs have good piano rolls and most people who use FL's piano roll as a selling point tend to not play piano very well and just click notes in.

Not that I'm saying that can't work, but it's all very much an electronic music viewpoint. For things like orchestral music, live rock bands etc., the setup of FL Studio just isn't very advantageous to composing that kind of music within a DAW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AngelCityOutlaw said:

most people who use FL's piano roll as a selling point tend to not play piano very well and just click notes in.

I think it's more like they have a good point that MS Paint style left-to-pencil-right-to-erase is a pretty good way to do it, but having lived on both sides for a good amount of years, and having been evangelical specifically about FL's piano roll, it's really not the dealbreaker they make it out to be. I think people in general underestimate their own ability to adjust to different workflows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now