Jump to content

PRC419 - The 17th Anniversary Of PRC (Free Round)


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, HoboKa said:

So I mulled over this little back and forth and I gotta be the stuffy rule-meister and say, save the qualitative comments until after voting period.  Something like this might make people think TheVideoGamer's entry isn't viable.  Let your votes make that call.   >_> Bruh!!  For DINNER.

There will be a lot of choice words to say about my entrant.....

Can't wait until it's over lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The People's Remix Competition 419 PRCv17-17 Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Time to end 2020 with a free round. No source limitations (non VG sources an

It's results time. It's a bit confusing with the multiple entries, but here are the results: HoboKa did not one, but two bonus mixes. AxLR did a good song which deserved more, but it g

Grats TVQ, good work here all.

Posted Images

@Bundeslang

The blurb for my Halcyon Hare Stage seems to have disappeared from the PRC submission...? O.o;

Guess it kind of went a bit funky cause they all seem to be under my name now, solely, without 1 or 2 behind them.

In case it messed up somehow I'll just post it here rather than re-submit the song:

This is a bit of a showcase piece to go along with 'The Rain Won't Stop the Beat'. Aesthetically, it is practically a sister-tune to it (insofar as a more Eastern / Japanese beat). But practically in every other way, it's far different, in tone and tempo. It's like...the Yin to Rainy Turtloid's groovy Yang.

Since we could turn in up to 3 songs, I decided to post this one too, as a kind of hmm, "celebration" of sorts of me coming out of my proverbial shell again and striding out for new horizons with my artistic stuff. This is actually the 3rd song I've ever produced, after a remix of Metal Gear Solid 3's 'Snake Eater' and NieR's 'Song of the Ancients', and it is my first ever original song. I try to be real proud of it, considering I had 0 clue about anything to do with DAWs, loops, VSTs, LFOs, SFXs, samples, midis, etc, and literally jumped into the deep-end of the pool with no life preserver. I just went on the internet, spun a wheel with which MM series I should do and the 'type of stage' (is the Robot Master a fire-type, or water-type, etc), got pinned with MMX & Wood/Forest Maverick, and here we are.

It's also the first of a series of things I was going to do in my spare time, sort of 'What Ifs...' scenarios where if I made a song for a game / franchise, how would it go? So to go along with the kinda weird Mega Man (X / Zero) theme, I present this. :)

Welcome to the Stage of Halcyon Hare - Buried Angkor Wat.

Hope you enjoy. ♥

Link to post
Share on other sites

BONUS 2...if you got time to add it in last minute @Bundeslang.  So @evktalo*, might wanna make that 13 entries, though both of mine are bonuses.

"My remix of the Mini Boss theme in Secret of Evermore, almost complete.  Has some cool ideas, lacks that final polish, but hey, that's my usual remix these days."

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mbzjp6ij7ja5mda/secret_of_evermore_mini_boss_remix_verA7.mp3/file

 

Edited by HoboKa
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HoboKa said:

BONUS 2...if you got time to add it in last minute @Bundeslang.  So @evktalo*, might wanna make that 13 entries, though both of mine are bonuses.

"My remix of the Mini Boss theme in Secret of Evermore, almost complete.  Has some cool ideas, lacks that final polish, but hey, that's my usual remix these days."

https://www.mediafire.com/file/mbzjp6ij7ja5mda/secret_of_evermore_mini_boss_remix_verA7.mp3/file

 

Uploaded the song as a bonus.

 

2 hours ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

@Bundeslang

The blurb for my Halcyon Hare Stage seems to have disappeared from the PRC submission...? O.o;

Guess it kind of went a bit funky cause they all seem to be under my name now, solely, without 1 or 2 behind them.

In case it messed up somehow I'll just post it here rather than re-submit the song:

This is a bit of a showcase piece to go along with 'The Rain Won't Stop the Beat'. Aesthetically, it is practically a sister-tune to it (insofar as a more Eastern / Japanese beat). But practically in every other way, it's far different, in tone and tempo. It's like...the Yin to Rainy Turtloid's groovy Yang.

Since we could turn in up to 3 songs, I decided to post this one too, as a kind of hmm, "celebration" of sorts of me coming out of my proverbial shell again and striding out for new horizons with my artistic stuff. This is actually the 3rd song I've ever produced, after a remix of Metal Gear Solid 3's 'Snake Eater' and NieR's 'Song of the Ancients', and it is my first ever original song. I try to be real proud of it, considering I had 0 clue about anything to do with DAWs, loops, VSTs, LFOs, SFXs, samples, midis, etc, and literally jumped into the deep-end of the pool with no life preserver. I just went on the internet, spun a wheel with which MM series I should do and the 'type of stage' (is the Robot Master a fire-type, or water-type, etc), got pinned with MMX & Wood/Forest Maverick, and here we are.

It's also the first of a series of things I was going to do in my spare time, sort of 'What Ifs...' scenarios where if I made a song for a game / franchise, how would it go? So to go along with the kinda weird Mega Man (X / Zero) theme, I present this. :)

Welcome to the Stage of Halcyon Hare - Buried Angkor Wat.

Hope you enjoy. ♥

I updated the discription.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the voting stage

The mixing stage is over. This round has 13 songs and 2 bonus mixes by HoboKa. The following people compete against each other:

AxLR

Trism

Bundeslang (3 songs)

TheVodouQueen (3 songs)

TheVideoGamer

Wassup Thunder and Souperion (collaboration)

Evktalo

Silverpool64

Brainstar

 

A great number of songs, probably the most in my PRC host carreer, but the biggest round is still PRC26 (Mega Man 7 - Shade Man)

 

To vote, do the following:

Visit http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC419 and listen to all the entries (the length of the songs together is 1 hour 22 minutes and 29 seconds) .

Scroll to the form at the bottom of the screen or click PM.

Fill in the entries from first to third in the ThaSauce form or fill in your top 3. It is allowed to vote for multiple songs by the same remixer (so it's allowed to vote 3x Bundeslang or TheVodouQueen or a combination. It's not allowed to vote for HoboKa's bonus mixes.

State a reasoning for it.

Participants are encouraged to vote and leave feedback. However, they may not vote for themselve, They get a 3 point bonus for all the songs (so it's very interesting to vote.

Always look in this thread to find out who's the winner of the round after the voting stage instead of only looking at ThaSauce for the results.

 

You have until Monday January 18th 2021 10:59 AM ThaSauce time (11:00 UTC, 12:00 GMT) to vote. This is longer as normal to give everyone time to listen to all the songs.

If you vote by PM make sure that your top 3 is clear. I prefer something like this:

(To)

(Subject)

PRC ### Vote

(Message):

1: (remixer A )

2: (remixer B )

3: (remixer C )

 

(reasoning)

 

I will post the feedback given in the PM’s and the votes in this thread. The winner may choose the source tune for PRC421 (TheVideoGamer also picks a source for this round as winner of PRC418, I didn't recieve the source yet (was originally for PRC420) so I just let it be a source for PRC421 as well instead of PRC420). I'll start PRC420 now with the source picked by Souperion.

Edited by Bundeslang
Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW,

This is some additionals to my blurb for my Aquarius remix song, if anyone wants to know and is informative as food for thought. Not necessary to look at for voting, just thought it might be helpful and interesting to know :) :

Spoiler
  1. 'Catamitus Exultant Lusibus' loosely translates from Latin to mean: "Ganymede Dance". Ganymede is a Trojan prince mythos from Greek mythology about the handsome boy Zeus took up to Olympus to become his personal cup-bearer for water and wine, because of how much Zeus was enthralled by his beauty. The story of Ganymede is also by which the astrologan star-sign 'Aquarius' came from.
  2. This was done as part of a self-imposed '24-hr or Less Production' challenge I did. Hence why I only spent up to < 20 hrs to complete the song fully, including mixing and mastering. It was to challenge myself to see if I could even do it, which (thankfully) I managed to.
  3. For those who might be able to hear the intent (or not know), the motif of influence for this song comes from the PS2-era Castlevania games that had a more techno-bend to their soundtrack rather than the usual heavy rock-bend, namely Lament of Innocence (2003) and Curse of Darkness (2005). Also, some of the artifacts present in some of the loops / samples I found are very similar in texture to the sound-feel from the 15-bit style of the Game Boy Advance when I played with them on the 7-band equalizer. I thought the resulting effect was a perfect combination with the PS2-genre style, and a cool way to express Aquarius with an interesting take that wasn't heavily sounding like the Circle of the Moon version of it, nor the revamped version of it made for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Examples that were derivative of how I thought to make the remix:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

(Unfortunately I just realized that I have no access to my "Brainstar" account anymore. Haven't been to OCRemix for the last 11 years and switched to a new mail address 10 years ago. Do you know if there is any chance of getting access back even though I mostly use this nickname nowadays?)

Wow! Great quality from everyone, absolutely stunning! I'm nearly a bit ashamed of my own entry now. Listened through every song a couple of times and tried to give a few thoughts on every remix but for some songs I just couldn't figure out more than a few words. Sorry about that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, anachromium said:

(Unfortunately I just realized that I have no access to my "Brainstar" account anymore. Haven't been to OCRemix for the last 11 years and switched to a new mail address 10 years ago. Do you know if there is any chance of getting access back even though I mostly use this nickname nowadays?)

Wow! Great quality from everyone, absolutely stunning! I'm nearly a bit ashamed of my own entry now. Listened through every song a couple of times and tried to give a few thoughts on every remix but for some songs I just couldn't figure out more than a few words. Sorry about that.

Let them know in Site Issues and Feedback maybe. https://ocremix.org/community/forum/26-site-issues-feedback/

Edited by HoboKa
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, anachromium said:

(Unfortunately I just realized that I have no access to my "Brainstar" account anymore. Haven't been to OCRemix for the last 11 years and switched to a new mail address 10 years ago. Do you know if there is any chance of getting access back even though I mostly use this nickname nowadays?)

Wow! Great quality from everyone, absolutely stunning! I'm nearly a bit ashamed of my own entry now. Listened through every song a couple of times and tried to give a few thoughts on every remix but for some songs I just couldn't figure out more than a few words. Sorry about that.

No worries, sometimes i can't say anything at all, especially if it's too good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's results time.

It's a bit confusing with the multiple entries, but here are the results:

HoboKa did not one, but two bonus mixes.

AxLR did a good song which deserved more, but it got the last place wooden spoon

Several songs ended with 3 points and eight place, some by voting, some by score: Bundeslang - Nirvana - Sifting, Bundeslang - Quitting At Level 8, Silverpool64, Trism and TheVodouQueen - Halycyon Hare Stage.

TheVodouQueen - Catamitus Exultant Lusibus and Evktalo tie for sixth place with 4 points.

Bundeslang - Snakemania got 5 points and fifth place.

Brainstar got 7 points and fourth place.

TheVideoGamer did a long one, it got 11 points and third place

Wassup Thunder and Souperion were close, their song received 15 points and the second place

And the winner of PRC419 is with TheVodouQueen - The Rain Won't Stop The Beat (Japan Disco-Funk Mix) with 17 points.

 

Hopefully I didn't make any calculation errors, but since I only needed to add the voting bonus, I'm pretty sure it's correct. TheVodouQueen wins the round and gets the right to select a source for PRC421. 

Send the source to me (with a MID/MP3 file, otherwise send a second source with a MID file) by PM, other options are PM me @ ThaSauce or by e-mailing to bambombim@gmail.com (I prefer a PM @Ocremix). Send your sources as fast as you can, but before next Wednesday (27 January 2021), 11:00 AM ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT).

You may select any source from any game, but not a source with an OverClocked remix or a source which has been used in PRC before. An overview of the past PRC's can be found in the following links (I recently updated this site):

http://sites.google.com/site/bambombim/prc

http://bambombim.googlepages.com/PRCRemixList.doc (also downloadable via the link above).

 

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC419 for the votes and comments.

 

TheVideoGamer, you still may pick a source as well, as winner of PRC418.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, anachromium said:

(Unfortunately I just realized that I have no access to my "Brainstar" account anymore. Haven't been to OCRemix for the last 11 years and switched to a new mail address 10 years ago. Do you know if there is any chance of getting access back even though I mostly use this nickname nowadays?)

Wow! Great quality from everyone, absolutely stunning! I'm nearly a bit ashamed of my own entry now. Listened through every song a couple of times and tried to give a few thoughts on every remix but for some songs I just couldn't figure out more than a few words. Sorry about that.

If you are ashamed, what should I be. I tried with 3 songs, and none of them could beat yours. My three songs together got 11 points, which is the same amount as the score from the number 3 (well, I'm actually honoured that one of my songs even got points, since there are so many entries).

I suggest to try HoboKa's tip, or contact an admin.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Congratulations TheVodouQueen, well deserved! Also congratulations to all other entries, what an impressive round!

Massive thanks for all the nice feedback! I might add, now, that the voting is over, that this was really a last minute thing. I recorded all tenor trombone & euphonium parts myself 6h before the deadline, because I did a spontaneous covid-safe orchestral recording (so: 1-on-1 sessions for all parts) including video cut the 72 hours before, which completely smashed my Zelda schedule. I nearly forgot about adding the drum takes (also live recorded by a friend of mine) at the end. 8O As the covid restrictions are getting tighter I'll probably do a re-arrangement and re-record most of it for a video (including the original ATTP footage). ;)

I might also shortly answer to evktalo's feedback about the farty sounds, just to save the honour of my bass trombone colleague: I think, what you find farty is the absolutely incredible contra bass trombone, which I unfortunately had to reduce about 15dB(!) in relation to his other bass trombone takes, because I didn't had any more time to get the upper voices in balance by adding a couple of voices I had in mind at the beginning. It was a real bass trombone slaughter the first time I listened to it after recording. :D

 

25 minutes ago, Bundeslang said:

If you are ashamed, what should I be. I tried with 3 songs, and none of them could beat yours. My three songs together got 11 points, which is the same amount as the score from the number 3 (well, I'm actually honoured that one of my songs even got points, since there are so many entries).

Nah, wasn't ment that way! I was just a little abashed by the quality of all of your mixdowns! ;) Still got a lot to learn about recording and mixing.

 

18 hours ago, HoboKa said:

Let them know in Site Issues and Feedback maybe. https://ocremix.org/community/forum/26-site-issues-feedback/

2 minutes ago, Bundeslang said:

I suggest to try HoboKa's tip, or contact an admin.

Thank you for the advice! I'll try!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...