Windows Vista

weggy

Now, someone mentioned networking, and said it was a pain in the ass. Well, not in my experience. I've had to transfer some files to/from my XP laptop, and the only problems I ever had were on the laptop. One thing to note: vista defaults to using WORKGROUP as the network name, instead of MSHOME, which may confuse some. But I'd say the networking is the biggest improvement over XP so far, and I have no idea what kind of problems you might have with it.

windows xp professional i thought defaulted to WORKGROUP too...it seems like anyone with networking problems seems to be running xp home edition...

anyway, cool read pylon. though i can agree with others here that my system isn't requiring or desperately needing me to go out and pay $300 to overtax it beyond its specs (my comp's barely compatible). granted if i buy a new computer in the next few years that'll run it, sure i'll buy it with the machine. i do think that waiting a little while to see how it runs on the market would do some good too. i remember when xp first came out and my dad was so pissed cause things like printer drivers didn't install and other things didn't work correctly right outta the box. but now the thing runs perfect. i don't expect this OS to be perfect right away, but hopefully it will prove to be sufficient when they work the first few bugs out. i look forward to using it, whenever i get a machine that'll run it.

windows xp professional i thought defaulted to WORKGROUP too...it seems like anyone with networking problems seems to be running xp home edition...

That would make sense. I've used XP Pro, but only through slipstreamed discs, and I think they defaulted to MSHOME. Hmm.

anyway, cool read pylon. though i can agree with others here that my system isn't requiring or desperately needing me to go out and pay $300 to overtax it beyond its specs (my comp's barely compatible). granted if i buy a new computer in the next few years that'll run it, sure i'll buy it with the machine. i do think that waiting a little while to see how it runs on the market would do some good too. i remember when xp first came out and my dad was so pissed cause things like printer drivers didn't install and other things didn't work correctly right outta the box. but now the thing runs perfect. i don't expect this OS to be perfect right away, but hopefully it will prove to be sufficient when they work the first few bugs out. i look forward to using it, whenever i get a machine that'll run it.

Vista does have some compatibility with XP drivers, though. For example, I'm using the XP driver for a printer that's on the network. The only XP driver I haven't gotten working is the one for my Radioshack PS2-USB gamepad adapter, but I don't really need the driver at all unless I want rumble (which I don't for the most part).

Plus, I think the Vista Upgrade Advisor can tell you whether or not a device you have is compatible.

PS - what are your specs?

Edit: Here's a desktop screenshot, linked to prevent page-stretching.

Later on I'll provide screenshots of some other stuff if you guys want.

Aye, I seem to remember the default workgroup always being workgroup. But I could be incorrect.

I don't very much care for the new start menu. The mind numbingly long list in a tiny space makes it quite annoying to find the program you want. Aside from the size, its nothing new - you can make the Start Menu scroll since 98. I much prefer XPs "new" start menu (though im a Win2000 guy myself)

I found one thing about Vista that really blew me away - Inkball! Its this awesome new game that comes preloaded, and reminds me of that Mario-on-the-trampoline minigame in the New Super Mario Bros.

I found one thing about Vista that really blew me away - Inkball! Its this awesome new game that comes preloaded, and reminds me of that Mario-on-the-trampoline minigame in the New Super Mario Bros.

Yeah, I've definitely had my share of fun with InkBall. And Mahjonng too, come to think of it.

We need some of those old Entertainment Pack games, though.

In an interview, Gabe Newell (co-founder of Valve) said he was extremely disappointed with Vista, and even suggests that if users want a better experience than XP, they should look for Mac OS X, not Vista. He says, "If you're an XP user, you're going to be more comfortable upgrading to Apple than Vista...Other than gaming, which is Apple's Achilles heel, almost everything else works better on a Mac."

This is coming from a man whose own company depends on the success of Windows.

EDIT: Linkage-- http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200701/N07.0116.1324.31632.htm

As a current Mac user, I have to say this - if you want a Mac and you don't want to do many intricate things, a Mac is a nice option. However, some programs are fairly buggy or take a long time to load with this transition to Intel CPUs. I'd still take a computer with Windows over a Mac any day, but for laptop purposes a Mac is fine.

I like MacOS being based on Unix, and it is the prettiest OS out there. On the other hand, nothing supports it, and it can be very annoying to work with.

Hows about everyone just drops support for Windows all at once and moves to Linux.

The lack of support for ASIO drivers in Vista will make it impossible to use for most musicians. I don't think there will be much of a choice in switching to another system for many. Unless you don't mind it shutting down your sound card every time you try to record something. Of course, this may be remedied, or I may have misinterpreted the information in that lengthy article detailing Vista's problems.

Hows about everyone just drops support for Windows all at once and moves to Linux.

Exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately, they're waiting 3 years for everyone to get all settled in before the real fun begins. By then, too many people will have upgraded to Vista to justify a full-blown switch to Linux.

Pretty sick.

Well whatever. In any case, I'm going to switch.

it seems like anyone with networking problems seems to be running xp home edition...

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Windows XP Home sucks ass with networking to systems that don't run XP for some reason.

Also, XP faced similar issues and complaints when it came out. Not much drivers, buggy new features, and too different for a lot of people. Hell, it took me about a year to switch to it. It's matured pretty decently though, and Vista should do the same.

As a man with 7.2 FULL DAYS worth of music on his hard drive (some from CDs, some from random files, others from other computers), you won't see me go near Vista anytime soon. If I were to copy a file Vista didn't like and it decided to disallow playback in a few years, I would not be happy.

For me, this is all that matters.

No one's brought up anything that's considered an "improvement" that has been relevant to me. I'm just an average Joe Blow with an above-average music collection.

PS - what are your specs?

Intel P4 2.52GHz

1 Gig RAM

Radeon 9800 Pro-Wannabe

I'm pretty sure i have the specs, but i think its just barely. i probably meet the minimum and not the recommended. i usually prefer to have the recommended or better when it comes to running programs, but i can't control things like processor speed/power without having to go out and practically buy a new computer. from what crucial.com tells me, my system tops off at a gig of ram, so i'm not sure if i can put any more into it. its a dell, it was built to be a working computer, which it does very well. i'm happy with it, but later on when i'm rich and famous, i'll look into getting something a little newer when the time calls for it.

"So pretty....like extra flowers...."

Wonderful, adding security that will mess up everything you do. (you realize you can't even ReWire Reason without going through gazillions of configs do you?). I think it's scary how Vista will probably lead to extreme surveillance of the users. I think it's equally scary how it will lead to a big boost to pirated material since now pirated material is the only thing that will let you bypass the security that's going to hold you in a headlock otherwise. way to go :D

If security's that important get a mac already. OS X is the safest OS ever, and it works. enter reality :)

and btw, "nothing supports mac" is b-shit :) The only thing I know that doesnt work with mac that I suffer from is playing PSF2 files. and that's pretty much it, even DC++ is being sexily emulated by ShakesPeer. Go mac, you won't go back.

now I'm not a grumpy mac user, I use PC to.. I just hate it. XD

If security's that important get a mac already. OS X is the safest OS ever, and it works. enter reality :)

and btw, "nothing supports mac" is b-shit :)

Arguably the reason OS X is so safe is no one bothers to attack it.

As far as "nothing supports mac" being b-shit.

MacAd.gif

Before someone says I'm a fanboy I have a Mac and a PC that dual-boots XP and Ubuntu.

When the time comes for me to buy a new computer, I think I'll get a wireless card that's more compatible with Linux and pretty much just use Linux from then on. I still don't like Macs, anyway. The fact that Vista is actually making Mac look good is something I find pretty funny. XD It's not that I have a problem with Mac's functionality, I just find the interface to be... Awkward at best. Plus, I like being able to right-click. =P

being able to rightclick? Buy a mouse with two buttons and you're there ;P that's how easy it is XD

Merk: I agree that there is almost no games on mac ('cept blizzard games and civilization.. and that's good enough for me :D) but in all other compartments I find it superior.

"Arguably the reason OS X is so safe is no one bothers to attack it." you make it sound so bad.

No one bothers to attack it because it's so safe. OH NOES WE'RE STUCK IN A CIRCLE.

Btw, the interface kicks ass ;P

being able to rightclick? Buy a mouse with two buttons and you're there ;P that's how easy it is XD

And don't forget that all Apple desktops come with the Mighty Mouse, which doesn't only rightclick, but also has a fancy scrollball.

Not like OSX ever requires you to right-click though.

CAUTION!!!

I would suggest you read this and this and this before considering upgrading to Vista.

For greater certainty, the terms and conditions remove any doubt about who is in control by providing that "this agreement only gives you some rights to use the software. Microsoft reserves all other rights." For those users frustrated by the software's limitations, Microsoft cautions that "you may not work around any technical limitations in the software."
And apparently the built-in virus protection is set up to automatically delete programs that it deems as "unwanted" without even asking.

I wouldn't even DREAM of buying Vista until after SP1 has been released. And I am 99% positive that I will never buy a Microsoft OS again. Basically the only things that either isn't supported or doesn't have a replacement on Linux are games (and I'm not a gamer) and some professional-quality media production tools. Since I'm not interested in either, it's the trash can for Vista.

Besides, if enough people dislike Vista enough to make the switch, we may see major companies porting to Linux. Judging by the express lack of hype surrounding Vista - hype that was in place during the release of XP - there may be a chance of alternative operating systems gaining significant ground due to Vista's release. Just my opinion, though.

"Arguably the reason OS X is so safe is no one bothers to attack it." you make it sound so bad.

No one bothers to attack it because it's so safe. OH NOES WE'RE STUCK IN A CIRCLE.

If Mac became the most-used OS around, then it would have it's fair share of viruses and spyware, too, you know. :/ It's not that no one bothers to hack it because it's so safe, it's because not many people use it yet. Hackers typically make viruses that target the majority of the computer users.