OCR00705 - Lufia & The Fortress of Doom "The Final Reunion"

Saunders

As Legion mentioned, this mix could use some mastering. The volume levels are just too low. Besides that, Sonic Blade uses excellent panning in this mix. Nice, beautiful orchestral intro. Something I sure do like. At 1:38, drums come in... Okay, this is something I'm going to have to bitch about. I dislike the drums. I personally think they ruined the majority of the ReMix. The drums are way too over-accentuated. Technically, the samples used are pretty damn nice. Though, at times, they sound fake in how they're used. Particulary the open hi-hat when it does it's triplet thing. And, the only crash cymbal used is panned hard left. That just makes the right channel dull/less exciting. The drums should have been a more laid back.. They take the stage and strings are buried. Sonic Blade shows a lot of potential here. Nice job with the strings.

Sweet, symphonic, orchestration is what I'm hearing in this well formed Lufia mix. If there is one thing that just really stands out in this piece, its definatly the strings. If there is one thing that is... well... lacking, its definatly the horns. So, a touch of brass couldn't hurt, but it's very nice all the same. The drums could use a little work also. But regardless, good work Sonic Blade.

I liked the skill used with the orchastral simulation. Very nicely done.

About the drums. There is nothing wrong with the drums. its the reverb, echo, whatever effects that is causing them not to mix with the rest of the tune.

It does sound like someone playing live drums, and less recorded in a studio. Is that a problem? For such a respectable remix, I dont think so.

Oh and about the unrealistic arrangement of the drums, I think it would have been fine if it sounded less live. We all know techno beats are unrealistic ;).

• 2 years later...

When I feel the urge to listen to this piece, I love it. But, one thing I've noticed is...I swear, I've heard some of it before, in one of the Zelda games...I think it would be on the N64....ending music or something. Anyways, this is a great mix when you're in the mood for it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't think it's as bad as OA's making out, but without even playing the game I recognize this song, and can't hear too much original going on. I would have liked to see more arrangement. Overall, I'm not totally crazy about the drums, but they serve their purpose here and there. I feel the same could have been done with orchestral percussion, however. Overall, not really feeling this one.

• 3 months later...

I don't really care for this one.

It's trying to combine classical with pop ballad, or something weird like that.

The drums really pull this mix in an opposite direction than where it originally was heading. I think it would have been better without the drums. Also, the introduction and ending were lackluster at best.

I guess it's an all right mix if you like that kind of style, but otherwise, not so much.

• 1 month later...

not sure what the synth was supposed to be around 0:22, maybe a violin? sounds kind of weird, maybe a better synth could have been used. kind of feel like the drums drown out everything else midway through. I like the song and the arrangement, but some different choices could have been made in synth selection to really improve this. good effort!

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00705 - Lufia & The Fortress of Doom "The Final Reunion"
  • 6 years later...
I appreciated the concept here. Slowing down the original a bit and giving it an orchestral sound was a great idea. The drumwork that came in around 1:41 was a mistake, kind of like putting a hat on a hat; it wasn't necessary and didn't make sense with the initial arrangement concept. More subdued percussion could have achieved something more intriguing and complimentary with the orchestration.

• Liontamer changed the title to Lufia