A favor to ask

The Pezman

So you can all tell by my sig that I'm an editor on the Chrono Trigger Novel Project. We've been making a lot of strides forward and will be doing something pretty monumental before the end of the year.

Those of you at MAGFest last year may remember me and Wayne, the project author and coordinator, working at a booth. We made friends with Liontamer, Taucer and a few others. Afterwards I became a community member here.

Wayne may not be returning (though I've encouraged him to) but I definitely will be, and hopefully we'll have one of the other editors coming in Wayne's place. I want to have a full event this time, and have already cleared permission for that from Mr. MAGFest. I could use your help:

I want to have a dramatic reading of select sections from the novel, and will follow that up with a Q&A session and, finally, entreat the crowd for petition signatures. Since you know (and like) this project, I was hoping I could use Chrono Trigger remixes as background music, Chrono Symphonic mixes included. In addition, when Brendan asked what time I'd like the panel to be, I answered that I'd like it right before or after OCRemix's. He even suggested the possibility of integration, though I don't think that last suggestion is in the cards.

Anyways, I'm here now asking for permission from the different remix artists if I can use their tracks. We don't have all the novel written (we're a bit past the halfway point, at Zeal) but we still have more than enough for a dramatic reading.

While I'm here discussing this, I also want to bring up something I brought up to Larry last time. I don't know if there's an official affiliation that can be formed between these two organizations, but I think it would be beneficial. Our novel is seeking official publication. Square knows about us and we have NOT been C&D'ed. So it's not like we're some crackpot group of fanfictionists with delusions of grandeur.

But I digress. The purpose of this thread is to talk about panels. Any remixers with CT mixes, let me know if I can use your stuff as background music. And anyone let me know if I can have OCR's official support in this endeavor.

Man I didn't even know there was a novel in the works. I've seen the name here and there, but the 'Novel' just didn't kick in.

Wish I'd made a Chrono Trigger mix before now >.<

I'll be watching to see when it comes out, I'll definitely give it a good readin'. I hope you guys get this out in bookstores, that would kick so much ass.

If like some hardcore CT guys like Claddou Shou and maybe DarkeSword loved the novel, maybe there'd be more of a chance.

Yeah, Claddou Shou is gone, along with any ambitions of that script of his. I don't know if Darkesword would like to read what we've got. We're in the process of undergoing major revision (since Wayne wrote a lot of it some time ago) so if he were to read some of our newer stuff... hell, that'd be cool with us.

I'd hesitate about 'officially' endorsing this project with any of my own CT remixes, personally, because I am incredibly skeptical as to the quality of the project. I can count the number of authors who I think produce well-written fantasy works on one hand. And yes, that means I'm discarding a whole lot of popular authors, too.

Yeah, just for clarification, you can use my mixes as they're part of the CS project, etc., but I'm not really officially endorsing this project in any way. I'll probably never read it, as I rarely read adaptations of other media if I can't get anything new out of them, and even if you guys are adding new insight into the story and stuff, it's not really canon now, is it? So yeah. Enjoy the music, but don't look for anything beyond that.

I'd hesitate about 'officially' endorsing this project with any of my own CT remixes, personally, because I am incredibly skeptical as to the quality of the project. I can count the number of authors who I think produce well-written fantasy works on one hand. And yes, that means I'm discarding a whole lot of popular authors, too.

Here's a perfect example. I believe Dhsu is correct in that all of OCRemix's tracks are fair game for external use so long as credit is granted, but Andy doesn't like it I won't put him in the compromising position of having music associated with something he doesn't personally endorse.

That said, I hope to sway Andy, Darkesword, and any other skeptics. As far as quality is concerned, I'm not sure what to tell you except that we're doing our best. This is something Wayne has been working on for over a decade and all of us have been running through the chapters with a fine-toothed comb. I'm a creative writing minor, so I've been providing him with excerpts on craft that I've been assigned to read.

So what does quality mean to you? Is our faithfulness to the game a concern? I can tell you now that pretty much all changes (i.e. Crono talking) are functions meant to abstract the story out of a game environment and make them accessible to CT novices and veterans alike. We've taken the original translation to task as well, making use of Kwhazit's translation as we rework the dialogue to try and mix accuracy with cultural relevance (you won't find Soy Sauce, Mayonnaise or Vinegar in our novel).

I obviously cannot promise that it will live up to your standards, since I know we won't be able to please everyone. But whether you like it or not, know that none of us are doing anything half-assed.

Gah, stupid simultaneous posting.

Yeah, just for clarification, you can use my mixes as they're part of the CS project, etc., but I'm not really officially endorsing this project in any way. I'll probably never read it, as I rarely read adaptations of other media if I can't get anything new out of them, and even if you guys are adding new insight into the story and stuff, it's not really canon now, is it? So yeah. Enjoy the music, but don't look for anything beyond that.

For one, in order to gain official publication, we'll need Square's approval. They know about us and we haven't been C&D'ed, so that shows they're interested in what we're up to. IMO, there are few ways it could be considered more canon than official publication with Square's endorsement. Wayne had the idea of aligning with Chrono Crisis, but I pointed out that could damage our intentions of maintaining our scope to the plot which Square has already given us.

I don't really see what the harm in reading just a chapter would be. Again, we're not adding anything outrageous, but we are putting in enough new stuff in order to appeal to veterans of the game.

Relax, Pezman. I think Zircon is just picky about style when it comes to Fantasy writers. Besides, he said himself that he counts out a lot of popular writers.

Anyway, don't worry so much about the endorsement, thing. The remixers are willing to let you use their music as BGM, and that's all you want right? GO FOR IT!

When I say it's not canon, I'm not talking about official sanction from Square Enix; if they let you publish it, that doesn't make it canon. I'm talking about the fact that it's not coming from the scenario writers of the game itself (guys like Masato Kato); you're not in their heads, and you can never fully understand every single intricacy that's gone into the world-building. No author ever gets the chance to put everything they come up with "to paper," and its the same case for a game writer. All of the extra things you guys are adding, no matter how well it's written, doesn't come from that. It won't be canon.

So you'll have to excuse me if I have no desire to read a fan-written Chrono Trigger novel adaptation. I think the game tells the story spectacularly. Hell I only read the scenes I had to mix for when I worked on CS.

All that said, good luck with your project.

Hey everyone! I'm that "Wayne" guy that Pez keeps talking about.

This is a pretty exciting time for the project. Right now, we're gearing up for a large presentation packet to Square as our first attempt to "officially" bring this to the table. We will also be making our second public appearance this month (November) at the Wizard World conference in Arlington, TX. Committee and Editorial Team member Jacob Kuntzman will be there to represent the project. (I, unfortunately, cannot be.)

As for MAGFest, I'm excited about Pezman's planned event, which is something that he actually came up with and volunteered for himself. I'd like to go this coming year, but I am not yet sure if I'll be able to swing it. Either way, I'm sure it'll be a blast!

DarkeSword brought up a valid point for any true fan of the Chrono series. Despite how confident I am in the novel's accurate and enhanced retelling of this tremendous story, assumptions that some underlying, untold aspect will be missed are bound to occur.

I can only offer these points as consolation: 1) remember that it will be by Square's approval that the novel gets published, meaning that they will have approved of its content and 2) as we're taking great measures to ensure quality and consistency (hence an Editorial Team), I encourage anyone not to allow such concerns to be a stumbling block, as it will be as good as any Chrono Trigger novel could possibly be (unless, with some room for argument, it were put together by the original writers themselves).

Those points may or may not be good enough for someone like DarkeSword, but I would encourage anyone of that mindset to check it out anyway. You might be surprised at the depth.

All of that aside, thanks to everyone who will openly allow us to use their mixes, and I appreciate the support that so many of you have shown.

Take care!

~Wayne