Raptor Call Of The Shadows 'Eclipse'

Lep666

Ugh. 56 views and no responses. That's rough.

Strings sound a bit muddled right before the part where they take center stage... the notes run into each other. Maybe take off about 1/16 beat of each note on that beginning part Also, they sort of start and stop abruptly, taking away from the illusion that they're real. I'm working on something right now using string ensembles, and I know they're really hard. Guitars about 2/3 through sound very General-MIDI-ish, and about 5/6 through the acoustic guitars sort of sound like they clash. I love that string ending.

Basically, from the arrangement perspective, I think you're almost done. You just need to un-clutter the notes on the guitars and strings occasionally. Maybe dig up the original midi, listen to the entire song again, and when you hear something that just sounds wrong, play around with it and fix it.

You're gonna need someone else's advice on the production, though. I just recently moved away from MIDI.

First, I like the guitar. The drums are pretty cool too, and I like how you're blending orchestral with guitars, drums, and bass.

The strings are a little too paddy. Pads, no individuality. It coul be style choice, but then you shouldn't have given it so much orcestral feel with the trumpet and all. It works as it is, but I recommend finding better samples. At 0:27 two sections meet a little too head-on. You need to work on bridging them more gracefully.

The bass is a little too mechanical, when it's in the background, it's no big deal, but in the 0:52-1:07 area breaks, it's really annoying. Also, see if you can EQ it to have more bass. Add an amp simulator on it just to kill some sequencing sounds. Tweak velocities slightly and note lengths a bit too, for more individuality and hence, more life.

Panning works, tho the drums seem to cover the extremes. Reverb on strings should extend beyond the drums.

I'm no production expert, but these things should get you closer to finished. Try out the #ocrwip channel too, for more instant feedback... When anyone's actually active there. Good luck with this, it's already pretty good, but still needs some slight fixes.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I think this is a pretty good mix as it stands. There are a few parts where it could use a little tweaking - for example, the part where the second set of hrns comes in around 2:35 - but overall it's a very nice mix.

(And I'm glad to see that SOMEONE's doing more Raptor mixes! This game deserves remixage.)

Only one other quibble about the mix, really - are you sure that you're using just the Wave 6 music?

I swear I can hear fragments from another piece in there (it sounds to me like the stuff from Wave 1 - either that or the "you've been shot down, game over" music).

• 1 month later...

It's good to see this game getting some love (and I love this remix too ^_^), but I thought I might mentioned that this isn't really just Wave 6.

Wave 2 and Wave 6 of the Bravo and Tango Sectors (can't remember the Outer Regions) play the exact same music, but even though there are bits of it here and there, it isn't the melody near the beginning of the piece. In fact, the main melody for the first two minutes or so is actually Bravo Sector - Wave 4 (which also happens to be one of the few unique-to-level tunes in the game, FYI). It doesn't really hit Waves 2 & 6 as a genuine part of the main melody until about 2:14 and then it just runs with it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The midi file had the number 6, but this number does not resemle any level. Many songs were used many times. For example the song of the first level in the first sector has number 7...

So your remix has first song 6 and then song 1 remixed. Your remix shows that you have understood the source songs.

I think the song feels a little bit like a western and has a hispanic touch sometimes. I don't like that you change the simple electronic game style of the song to something that sounds like film music. The drums make it sound like a pop song. Sometimes the song destroys the dignity of the powerful Raptor music, although you try to make a serious and good song.

You must make your song more important to be a good raptor song. It does not convince me until now. You must make the song strong and powerful to stand besides the music of raptor. It is not in the least powerful yet. You must fix that. If you think that my last paragraph of "hints" is too vague, you will never create a good raptor song.

To start I love any song with ascending progressions, so you're already off to a good start with me. That aside, the horn/string patch beginning at 2:14 needs some "epic" boost. Try a 500 Ms delay and see if that adds some body to it. I love the acoustic guitars. Well done. I can tell you recorded a measure at a time and looped, but it sounds right (I only know because I do the same thing). The bass sounds a little off at times. I love the strings at 1:33. They sound great and I wish I could steal that patch from you. The distorted guitar at 2:04 needs to go away or be changed. Way too fake. If you can't record electric, I can help you. Send me a PM. Other than that, nice work.

Rozo said it before, but I'll pipe in and say again this is a dead thread. The OP hasn't been on OCR for over 2 years, so it's a waste of time to share any opinions on here. Posting in here makes it look like the remix is currently being worked on, so it has an adverse affect on the WIP forum by creating a mess of dead threads.

May this be the last post in here.