EVE's recent updated accidentally kills XP PCs

Schwaltzvald

from /.

CCP's latest major patch to the EVE-Online client, Trinity, comes with an optional DX9-enhanced graphics patch that dramatically improves the visual quality of the in-game graphics through remade models, textures, and HDR. It also has an unfortunate bug: the incredibly stupid choice of boot.ini as a game configuration file, coupled with an errant extra backslash in the installer configuration. The result is that anyone who installs the enhanced graphics patch overwrites the windows XP c:\boot.ini file with the EVE client configuration file, bricking the machine on the next boot. Discussion in a couple of forums threads is becoming understandably heated

Here's a fix for those that have not rebooted their PC's yet and still play EVE...

here is a normal boot.ini file:

Create a text document in the root directory.

Rename it boot.ini (Make sure to have extentions turned on)

Put this in the file, and then save it. (make sure its at x:\ (where x:\ is where your operating system, for example: c:\boot.ini)):

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

How to edit the BOOT.INI file from M$ Corp

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

IMO one of the biggest epic fails I've ever seen.

Edit* I realized I didn't post links to info about this issue directly :<

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=651679

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/12/06/1312254.shtml

I actually still play on and off, and the update patch in fact was launched last night. I haven't reboot my pc after the update because I was running utorrent. I'm lucky so I'm just gonna see once I get back from work if I can repair my PC; assuming it's affected. Luckily I built my pc so I still have my Windows XP Pro OS disk if I need it.

In the event that you've already rebooted before being aware of this epic fail... I'm searching for answers.

edited

Well, I'll at least throw another confirmation that doing a clean install with all the premium content (the 1GB+ install) doesn't cause this issue.

Still, a bonehead blemish on such a fairly good update. (Except for what's been done to frickin' salvaging.)

Okay finally they officially posted fixes to the problem. I will be editing my earlier posts so the official answers are focused on

Some users may have been inadvertently affected by an error in the install scripts for the Premium Graphics Upgrade process for the new Trinity Expansion.

Only those who meet ALL of the following criteria need to take further steps:

* You started downloading the upgrade from Trinity Classic Graphics Content to Premium Graphics Content BEFORE 04:00 GMT on Dec 6

* You must be using a version of Windows other than Vista.

* You must have Windows installed not on the primary partition.

or

You must have at least 2 hard disks and the OS must be installed NOT on the primary, but the secondary hard disk.

If all these apply, you MAY be affected by a known problem with the Graphics Update system. All other users are unaffected by this issue. The Trinity update (including Premium Graphics Content) is now available for all users and this error has been corrected.

If you think you MAY be affected by this issue, please take the following steps:

Step 1: Verify if you are missing your boot.ini

* Click the "Start" button

* Click "Run..."

* In the input box next to Open: type CMD (click OK)

* At the C: type bootcfg <ENTER> If you are missing your boot.ini you will see the following error: ERROR: ACCESS DENIED. Proceed to the options below.

* If you receive something with Boot Loader Settings with information under it, you are not affected.

Option A: Checking for existing backup files

* Click "Start"

* Select the "Run" option

* Enter "c:\windows\pss" and click "OK"

* If you receive an error file the directory does not exist and you should attempt one of the two other options.

* If the directory opens, you should have a backup copy of the boot.ini file.

* Copy it to the root directory (usually c:\ ) and remove the .backup from the filename so that the filename is boot.ini

* Then retry Step 1

Option B: You have NOT rebooted your system and you have System Restore active (default)

* Click Start

* Click All Programs

* Click Accessories

* Click System Tools

* Click System Restore

* Click the option Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next

* Choose an available date prior to the install date of the program. (you will not loose any documents you have created)

* Click Next

* Click Next again when it confirms you restore date

* Windows will then log you off and the System Restore Window Box will come up.

* The system will then reboot itself once or twice and then Windows will then restart Once Windows starts up ok, then the system restore screen will appear. Verify this and click OK Windows will finish starting up. Please go back to Step 1 and verify that your boot.ini is OK

Option C: You have a Windows OS CD available

* Place the Windows CD into the CD drive and turn on or reboot the machine

* When you get the message Press any key to boot from cd.... (press any key)

* Windows Setup screen will start and it will start to load needed files

* Once the Welcome to Setup screen appears, choose R to Repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console

* On the Recovery console you will be prompted with the Windows installation you would like to use. Use the correct number for your install and press <ENTER>

* Under Type the Administrator password enter the password and press <ENTER>

* You will then be at a command prompt C:\Windows> type bootcfg /rebuild and press <ENTER>

* You will then be prompted for some information by the machine itself. Please answer the questions presented.

o Some common questions will be: *** The answers below are recommended, but may not fit your situation *** Add installation to boot list? Y (recommended)

o Enter Load Identifier: Example: Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

o Enter OS Load Options: /fastdetect (this option will automatically detect and options that are available)

Once all questions have been answered, type exit and press <ENTER> to reboot and Windows should start normally. If you have an option for which OS to start, the choose the OS that you typed in above and choose Enter.

For those of you who need further assistance please file a petition by sending an email to support@eve-online.com or call one of the temporary special call-in help lines that we have set up:

US (Atlanta): + 404 292 1819 Ext 241 - Open 1400-2200 GMT

US (Atlanta): Toll free number available soon.

German/English language: +49 211 505 7720 (Local) Open 0600-1500 GMT

French language +49 211 505 7 721 (Local) Open 0600-1500 GMT

Russian language +49 211 505 7 722 (Local) Open 0600-1500 GMT

Iceland toll free number is being set up, will be announced on www.eve-online.com

Please note that these special help lines can only assist with this particular issue.

Schwaltzvald, redownload the content and you'll be fine -- it's worth it to see all of the DX9 graphics. My roommates ships looks phenomenal now (not to mention the space station itself!)

Glad to hear it's fixed now, though I've been keeping my mind entertained with Front Mission DS. (Got to have me some Wanzers) :)!!