OCR03003 - Mirror's Edge 'Clear Reflections'

Liontamer

Awesome, finally a Mirror's Edge remix! I'm probably one of the few people who really enjoyed the game, especially the musical ambiance. I know Still Alive isn't one of the main background tracks but still, it fits the mood well. This is a really great mix.

Like the panel said, I like how you instrumentalized the vocal elements, esp the "I've learned to lose/I've learned to win" section. Some of that reminds me a bit of some of the echoes of that section in Solar Fields' "Introduction" on the score.

I know I'm rambling a bit (tired and too much work lately XD) but the song really flows and soars. Which is important if you know anything about the technical ideas behind PK/FR.

*edit*

Oh I also wanted to say it'd be neat if you tackled some of Solar Fields' songs. Especially loved the lonely ambiance from the puzzle sections of "Kate" and "The Shard."

Edited by Karrde

Aaahhh, yeeeesssss!! Still Alive is one of my favorite game credits themes ever. At least in the top ten for me. And I haven't even had the pleasure of playing this game yet (I really need to get a PS3 some day). The fact that I didn't even really miss the lyrics, which helped the original, is a testament to how strongly I like this mix, because the melody filtered through the trance was still recognizable and enjoyable enough to get the same feeling I got from the original. Very well done, loved it.

Yay, some PRC love! Gotta echo the cheers for Bundeslang for keeping the compo running. Overall this is a pleasant, energetic and suitably moody electronic trance mix. It is definitely evocative of the 90s trance that was on MTV Europe all the time it seems.

The piano certainly doesn't sit well in the mix, especially in the intro and outro. My impression is that the pianos in the genre aren't ever all that humanized, but it's more a problem of tone and just plain sticking out of the mix. It sounds all right in the middle part of the song.

There's some harmony stuff that doesn't gel well: 2:18 there's a transition from chord to another that sounds off, and the bassline sticking to that particular note at 3:00-3:08 and 3:12-3:15 doesn't sound right.

Other than these, good work on making a working instrumental & genre adaptation of the original song!

• 3 weeks later...

I had to make an account just to say what an incredible remix this is. I can certainly hear "Still Alive"s influence when I listen to it but this is good enough to stand on it's own. The song is so fast and energetic and is altogether harmonious, angelic and serene. Everything about this track is perfect even the piano part. I only downloaded the song over four hours ago and have already listened to it 46 times.

I am sure this will fit in nicely with my music collection and will make a perfect driving/summer song. This is the best remix I have ever heard on OC Remix and is like an aural orgasm in my ear, in eargasm, if you will. If I could choose one song to be the last song I ever hear before I die, I want it to be this song. I just wish I could take the energy from this song and make a world out of it and live in that world.

....But WTF is up with the pathetic 192kbps bit rate? :sad:...:x...:banghead: That makes me so mad, I could kick a puppy... A song this amazing needs to be heard in at least 16bit quality but preferably 24bit.

Also, an extended version would be awesome!!!

Edited by AppleSucks

• 1 year later...

Agh, more reverb on the piano intro please. Definitely stiff. However, the rest sounds spot-on. I like the acid-like bass, some nice texture there. The whistle synth also sounds great. The energetic sound really fits the source even though it's more of a ballad; good work there. Very good EDM mix overall.

• 7 years later...

I think this is an enjoyable electronica piece without having to know anything about the source material. An all-around solid arrangement that sounds exhilarating and joyful, like flying through a haze of bright colours in a really happy dream. The layers of different instruments playing at different speeds gives it a remarkable richness which feels immersive rather than just busy, and conjures images of the beauty of space.

Edited by Slither2Unknown