A Final Fantasy VI Album?

darkknight

I'm afraid there is no mention of a FFVI album, as of yet. Whether or not that means there is no FFVI album in the works, who knows - as they've shown with Morse's albums and this recent Zelda album, it's a possibility - but OCR hasn't made any announcements of the sort, as of yet.

Something as big as FFVI would more than likely be announced and not one of Morse's secret surprise album projects.

I'm not sure, did OCR lift the project freeze from last year? I want to say Bahamut announced he was trying to start a FFVI project with the other 9 he was trying to get into just before he shipped out, but projects around here get so messy its really hard to tell.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the project freeze is gone, but the criteria for projects has definitely changed. Now projects need to be authorized for official status through OCR.. The biggest projects are all done (dkc3, MR, WA, Kirby, Badass) and others like ff9 and Vroom are planning to end in Jan/Feb... so it might not hurt to slap a couple new'ns in there. But they'd have to pass the authorization to be official. Anyone can start an unofficial project at any time. :-P

OCR would gladly take a good FF6 album if someone wanted to do one and sub it I have to believe.

I have wanted to do an FF6 album for a long time - perhaps I might still do something in the future, although that's still up in the air because big albums are sure draining and I have a lot of other things to worry about. Everyone and their mother wants to do an FF6 album it seems. I'd be willing to help people though, assuming there is good organization & decision making going on.

If everybody and their mother wants to do one (which is the case, I agree) then I think it'd be awesome of it was more of a site-run thing rather than trying to put the weight on one guy's shoulders such as yourself Baha. It might be confusing to figure out at first but maybe they could recruit for it by letting someone claim it, then that person submits their song to the panel for judgment. It *could* work, don't know if it *would* work. I think these bigger-game albums that everyone wants to do, like ff6, would be better that way from both a recruiting and quality perspective.. maybe.

Edit: no I would not like a purely techno album, nor an exclusive / secret one. Secret albums are cool but they go against the idea of community imo.

Edit: no I would not like a purely techno album, nor an exclusive / secret one. Secret albums are cool but they go against the idea of community imo.

Well there's a difference between secretive and surprise. votl was kept between the remixers involved for a long time, and was fairly effective at building up excitement as a result of carefully revealed information over time. It had 40-ish mixers involved, you can hardly say that's not a community effort.

Well there's a difference between secretive and surprise. votl was kept between the remixers involved for a long time, and was fairly effective at building up excitement as a result of carefully revealed information over time. It had 40-ish mixers involved, you can hardly say that's not a community effort.

While I see your argument, I think I can understand what Brandon was saying. Since FF7 was kept so secretive, when the information was announced there were several other remixers that DIDN'T have involvement prior to the announcement that really, REALLY wanted to be involved in a project as big as this. I think between this and zircon's selective decisions, there have been people that have seen the exact opposite effect as what you're implying.

Otherwise, the rest of the guys have it covered. If you want to do something with FF6, then give it a shot, though it all comes down to motives and guts to push it all the way through to a finished release. That's how many of these projects managed to pull through in the end :)

While I see your argument, I think I can understand what Brandon was saying. Since FF7 was kept so secretive, when the information was announced there were several other remixers that DIDN'T have involvement prior to the announcement that really, REALLY wanted to be involved in a project as big as this. I think between this and zircon's selective decisions, there have been people that have seen the exact opposite effect as what you're implying.

That's not entirely true though. I was very new at the time, and I really wanted to be on it. Once the thread appeared I asked (got an indifferent answer) and started working on a free track anyway and kept sending him it and eventually got on. This before I had anything posted or even accepted.

I can see your point too, and I don't think either is the right way to do it necessarily. But if someone wants to drop a surprise album with carefully picked remixers I don't think that can be viewed as unfair to the community.

There is always room for multiple projects. That's why my planned Faerie Solitaire project is okay because I'm sure someone else here is planning one in secret. I mean, seriously, who can't keep their hands off that game OR its music?! Right?

Right?

Wtf? You're joking right? Man you keep remixing everything on my to-do list. I guess I'll cancel my Faerie Solitaire album now too. >:\

Voices of the Lifestream did have open community involvement. I hosted a contest where anyone could submit remixes for tracks that had not yet been taken. The community voted and not only did several tracks from here make it on, but I had also invited others who entered (but weren't necessarily in the top 3) to participate as I was impressed with their stuff.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4987

So, everyone had the opportunity to be involved with the project, provided their skills at the time were up to the quality bar that I had set (which was no higher than OCR's normal submission standard at the time.) Not unreasonable, IMO.

I wasn't actually on OCR while FF7 was in production but I remember talking to you on AIM... too late too, I think you were finishing up the album at the time. I wasn't talking about ff7 at any point though, honestly. I was just saying that making a secret ff6 album that would be "all techno" would be bad I think. I don't know how the conversation got switched over to ff7. It certainly wasn't "all techno".

Neblix, I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make. You want quality over having a lot of people.. so you would be against letting people join the album based on if their songs passed the panel and were up to OCR standards? Wouldn't that mean you did not prefer quality? Very confusing statement. :|