OCR02149 - Final Fantasy V "Little Black Book"

djpretzel

The title reminds me of the lyrics to "Nobody Home" by Pink Floyd.

Anyway, this song is great. It's nice and entracing. The piano and pad really compliment the mood set by the rest of the piece. My only real complaint is that I think the hi-hat should have been been 1/4 notes instead of 1/8. But whatever, nice song :-)

This song definitely shows Darkesword's versatility with his sounds and still have it sound like "a Darkesword song". The song has sublime melting pads and the majority of samples chosen sound great, though I will admit that when that high metallic 16th note percussion sample is used and not muffled it does grate on my ears a bit. It also gets a tad repetitive near the end, but this song by design isn't about brazen dynamic changes. The percussion switches, in particular, are great and precisely executed.

It fit very well into the flow of the project, and is quite a standout mix itself. Nice one, Shar.

• 11 months later...

Given that the original was already kind of creepy and room-like, it might be an expectation to look towards it when seeing the words "gothic lounge" in the mix description. When hearing the mix though I managed to sense something a little more frantic and exotic in nature - definitely not a bad thing given the gentle articulations going across the track.

I got to say I love the syncopated piano writing at 1:05 and later on at 3:08; tends to give it more of a latin jazz kind of feel to the already lounge-like soundscape. And even with the choice of instruments it manages to fit appropriately with the nature of the source while still maintaining that laid back touch that we often expect with DarkeSword's modern-day writing style.

Solid work all around, and let's see you keep up the pushing for volume 2 :wink:

Definitely has the Darkesword trademark all over it, and in a very good way; it has the perfect amount of darkness in tone without making it sound like a bad guy's theme, fitting the theme for a Black Mage just right. It does skirt close to being repetitive at one or two points, but doesn't go over the line by a long shot. Great use of the piano, too.

I will admit, this one actually took some listening for me, because at first I felt sort of "meh" toward it, but it really grew on me and has become one of my favorites from the album. Great stuff, as always.

I can almost picture a dark corridor of a castle light by touches in the beginning (which I guess is my way of saying I agree with the gothic lounge idea). The latin sounding piano bits were interesting and it's kinda nice to hear something dark with some upbeat undertones. I can see where some would see this getting repetitive, but I think it was close and didn't see a problem with it. I wasn't fond of the ending, cause it just seemed to trail off, which I understand is what it was supposed to do considering the direction of the ReMix, but it just wasn't for me. That little thing aside, nice dark ReMix.

• 3 weeks later...

This mix... no wait... this entire ALBUM fills me with joy.

The hi-hat in the back slowly becomes the sound of white noise which is important.

It makes the Black Mage's portrayal seem even more demented than it is.

This mix becomes a portrayal of a stereotype. A mysterious "dark" individual.

When the hi-hat stops to allow the horns to play, you feel let into the Black Mage's world.

It's only for a brief instant however... as the hi-hat comes back in very quickly.

All in all. This mix is so good that I spent that long raging about a hi-hat.

AWWWW YEAH

• 7 months later...

The drums & beat make this a lighter song than the original, and maybe a bit of an ethnic feel to it even. A part of the melody itself reminds me of Sephiroth from FF7, strangely - perhaps Uematsu chose to reuse it or I could be imagining a similarity. Anyhow, the song is a tad on the repetitive side for me, but it is a nifty slightly less dark take on the original.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02149 - Final Fantasy V "Little Black Book"