OCR02349 - Wild Arms "Fireflight"

djpretzel

Jordan does a great job here, giving this song a jungle-ish feel to it. It is one of his more striking electronic works with the different approach he took here with its arrangement, showing of some of the great versatility he has musically. The progression he put into the song clearly illustrates that he has grown greatly as a musician over the years and has become something else entirely, and I mean that in a great way :) . Stellar job by Jordan on his Wild ARMS tracks, and they really make you take notice of him as a songwriter/composer on a high level.

This song meanders a lot and I don't think it reflects the best of Blind in either a production or arrangement standpoint. Having said that, I think it is definitely a darker journey of sorts than what you'd usually hear from him. I'm not a fan of the consistency of the bass drum, which includes the volume and lack of tone variation on it. It seems louder or stronger than the rest of the song and it really throws me off. I think a more laid back, less rigid 4/4 beat would have really done wonders for this track. I like the atmospheric parts where there is no kick drum, but surely some kind of ongoing fusion of beats rather than binary 4/4 beats on or off would have been great to have.

I don't mean to sound all negative about this and I really appreciate what you have done here and I think this is a great direction for you.. also totally appreciative of the increased file size limitations. I don't know if it was your song that ushered that in but at any rate, I totally tip my hat to you, good sir.

I've had this particular song in my collection for quite a while, and while I'd agree that it's perhaps not in the same league as, say, "A Ring and a Promise," it's still a darn good deep trance track. As a trance track goes, you really can't ask for much more. The song stays very true to the production values (super-clean, and that kick drum is perfectly prominent) and arrangement sensibilities of trance, and I'm an admitted trance-maniac. Two thumbs up from me on this number! :nicework:

Yeah, looking at the 10MB size I was all "what happened, is this an exception to the 8MB rule?" and then realised that there was indeed a size modification again. What a way to trigger it though with one of bLiNd's trance works, and a very fitting one at that to capture a certain change in life too.

Arrangement-wise, it manages to capture the source's minimalist nature remarkably well and does well to refer to the theme, though in a rather safe trance structure. That's definitely not a bad thing as it gives bLiNd a lot of headroom to work with in regards to his production skills - I believe some of these elements like the side-chaning air effects and swelling bass being somewhat leftover components from his SDB track "Dodge This Sakura" - and classy echo/ambience work brought on some of the higher synths to give in more of a dreamy edge towards it.

While I can understand his life connection towards it, the main beef I have towards the track though is that the breakdown in the middle, while reflective, does tend to stick around for a bit too long, and when the beat comes back in the soundscape still feels somewhat subdued. For some it may not be a bad thing as it kind of reminds me of Chicane's discography with that method, but it should still be something to keep in mind if looking for trance arrangements on the site - be wary of the direction.

All in all, a very solid arrangement, and one I can sense that has had a lot of heart put into it. Jordan, make sure you keep Jennifer safe for us; you've managed to find a great spouse to pour your feelings into your music with, and it shows. And I am definitely game to see how far your arrangement capabilities will go from here, so here's to the future :)

I want to expand a little on my writeup here and explain what I meant by the end of an era for bLiNd...

Trance is going to be less and less from me and I am going to explore who I really am as an electronic artist from now on. I have my own sound I believe, that isn't genre specific... This track is actually progressive house, not really trance, which is just a combination of trance elements and house rhythm/bass which is exactly what got me to start and finish it in 3 days. When I do something that isn't normal, or is somewhat fresh to my ears, I can't stop working on it!

I have had day dreams about what "my sound" sounds like and it borrows from wherever it wants but can't truly be labeled as a specific genre. The new era of bLiNd is one of no limits and I will no longer be known as a remixer or artist who does "trance" music only.

This track, may be minimal, but that I believe that is the beauty behind it. I said it best represents the sound I have developed at OCR because it represents the emotional feel of the music I try to portray to everyone. This track, though just a remix and borrowed from an original composition, is something I really tried to make my own and it shows in the breakdown the most. 2:45-3:45 is the ORIGINAL chord progression from the source and is very dark actually. 4:15 and on is my own chord progression with a spin on the old melody and the feel behind this part I developed is what is my own and represents who bLiNd is. Music is meant to be felt and sometimes it is best to just let music speak for itself. If there is no emotion behind it, I tend to shy away...

Thanks for all the feedback <3

This is beautiful, and I mean that in the way that the trance genre can just lift you up and send you somewhere else if you lie back and relax. It never seems to get repetitive and it's always changing, which is splendid. The production sounded sweet and I hear nothing wrong here. The idea and story behind the arrangement is chilling and it's so cool how you can combine that with parts of the source material. I've got so much respect for what the album and the artists have accomplished here. Overall, this is a very impressive ReMix. Great work, bLiNd!

bLiNd,

This is another great track and I really love hearing about your dedication to God and using music to express those emotions. It definitely gives me a different perspective to the piece and the thoughts behind it.

The emotion you put into your music is great, I always look forward to your every release!

God Bless!

Well, I think it's always a good sign when the listener feels something before even reading the remixer's notes. Beautiful work. I can listen to this over and over. I love the rhythm in the very beginning. It's a great lead into the song. I couldn't keep myself from moving with it.

bLiNd does a great job here with a very minimalist source. I was skeptical at first how much could really be done with the source given this song length, but I think he does a great job exploring many different facets. The song never really feels like it's getting repetitive or stale, like some trance does, so that's a big plus for me. Great job!

Very thoughtful, transporting track. I enjoyed the different sections and I can recognize the emotions behind them. I'm digging the dark-yet-hopeful-feel, although I think the song meanders somewhat. It's always evolving but I feel like it could be a little shorter and more focused in places

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02349 - Wild Arms "Fireflight"