OCR00907 - Final Fantasy VII "Acoustic Fireworks"

djpretzel

Very nice. It reminds me of Pink Floyd for some reason, not that it's incredibly similar, just a little bit (listen at about 1:10, then compare to Brain Damage). I'm not fond of the structure (seems to just repeat and fade away), the EQ is a bit funky, and the effects are dripping. But the song is beautiful, a term which I wouldn't apply to many OCRs, even my favorites. The instruments complement each other well, and the percussion is a welcome break from typical OCR fare. This song also brings back memories from FF7... good memories.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This song reminds me of something you'd hear at some 1960's school dance...Like, as in the last song of the evening, the one you grab your chick and slow dance to.

Agrees totally.

If Aeris and Cloud weren´t in that elevator-thingie(forgot what it´s called) and instead was in a hall full of people dancing to some sweet band-music, this song would surely be the one they´re hearing.

Great stuff, EgM.

• 2 weeks later...

Agrees totally.

If Aeris and Cloud weren´t in that elevator-thingie(forgot what it´s called) and instead was in a hall full of people dancing to some sweet band-music, this song would surely be the one they´re hearing.

Great stuff, EgM.

mmm, i SO agree... it's the kind of music that you hear in the background of your most romantic daydreams... *sighs happily* This song is amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
Bummerdude wrote:

Agrees totally.

Great stuff, EgM.

But sometimes Aeris isnt with Cloud and Tifa is or even to be told that Barret can go on a date with you.

But i think this is one of my all time faveriots the acoustic sounds great, But mehs wonder what it sounds like in electric/lead

• 3 years later...

Great stuff, EgM.

it's the kind of music that you hear in the background of your most romantic daydreams

I honestly can't say it any better. This is an incredibly well produced and genuinely great track. Great job. :nicework:

• 10 months later...

I enjoy the arrangement a lot, especially the orchestral embellishments. It feels fairly emotive and personal, but honestly I have a problem with the guitar tone... I don't really know what word to use to describe what I'm hearing, but especially when compared to Pot Hocket's rendition I have a hard time enjoying this one due to the sound of the guitar :-( Sorry to say it, becuase there's a lot going for this mix but that one aspect makes it a lot less listenable for me.

• 6 years later...

The original song is a little bit of a turn off for my ears - some instruments just plain didn't agree with me, a couple instruments were a little too loud, and although I listen to video game music from time to time on it's own, I never listened to this one outside of the game, classifying it as "video game only" music.

This remix completely clears up whatever my ears don't like about the original.  Excellent attention to detail on this one!  There are some guitar noises that may bother some people (as mentioned), but nothing that really bothered me.  Usually I prefer an actual ending to fading out, but once again, it doesn't really bother me this time around.  Great dynamics as well!  I'll be listening to this again!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00907 - Final Fantasy VII "Acoustic Fireworks"
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

WOW, I love reading these comments 15 years later!!! :)

Perspective from 2018 to 2003:

• The acoustic guitar I used in this was a very cheap B.C. Rich acoustic guitar from the mid 90s that couldn't keep tune, had a weak neck and had .10 electric guitars strings on.  It wasn't mine and at the time I had never played acoustic guitar!  I mostly played Testament / Megadeth / Metallica / Tesla on electrics.
  • That guitar sucked, intonation was super bad, anything above the 5th fret was sharp, so most of you got it right :)
  • The reverb was dreadful, I think I used whatever Cakewalk had at the time and as Kaijin and Dale said, I sucked (still do?) at reverbs :)
  • I suck at arranging, or at least, endings, fade outs suck and I agree!
  • Surprisingly, the rhythm guitar part was cut in five parts while I did the entire melody/solo part in two takes.  The whole idea while doing this song was playing it like it would've been played in an old 60s last slow in a club.  (Glad so many of you caught that feeling!)  I had no intentions of making this super tight or perfect.
  • There is not one pitch bend in this whole song!  There are portamento(i?), and TONS of them!!! - I slide from one note to the other with so much vibrato that even Alex Skolnick (My hero) would cringe!
  • The midi part was not copy / pasted, those strings are so easy and rewarding to play.
  • This guitar was mic'ed with an SM58 with ball off about 1.5ft away.  (Cheapo 57)
  • The SM58 was ran from a preamp that I built myself running off about 8 components on a 9v battery :)
  • No fx processing, lol.
  • I remade this song in 2012 but never bothered posting it anywhere.

Ahhh, I miss those simple times! :D