OCR Fitness Club/Competition?

Steben

All you need for planches is an open piece of floor. If you want to try planche push-ups, you'll need a set of parallets, but you can build those yourself with <$15 worth of PVC pipes. Here's a site with instructions on how to build them.

For front and back levers, you just need a chinup bar. If there's a playground near where you live, odds are it's got something that will work fine.

If you can get access to a set of rings, the first excercize I'd reccomend to work the stabilizers is a simple support. Arms locked straight, rings turned out. You'll be amazed at how hard this is at first, but you'll also be surprised how quickly you'll get the hang of it. From there you can start working dips, muscle ups, etc.

One thing that is REALLY important when working gymnastics-type strength skills; MAKE SURE YOU WORK YOUR ROTATOR CUFFS. It's common for gymnasts (especially those working with a less experienced coach) to develop shoulder and back problems due to unbalanced strength. Crosses, planches, presses, and even just supports will tend to pull the shoulders forward, putting strain on the upper back. You have to make sure you work your upper back and rotator cuffs to avoid this. Bes excercise for this is to take a stretch band, tie it to something, stand to the side, and rotate your arm outwards with your elbow tucked in to your side, so you're pulling the band outward. I'll see if I can get pics to demonstrate this if necessary.

Huh. I actually just started doing a similar exercise routine today. I only did pushups, and instead of 8 sets of 20 sec/10 sec, I did 4 sets of 1 min/4 min. I didn't even know about tabatas until you mentioned it, so I guess I'll be changing up my routine. Thanks =)

How often should we be doing these? The same four exercises everyday? #days-a-weeks? Every other day?

Sorry for the late response...I'm usually only on here at work, and yesterday I was stuck downtown all day.

In recently starting to train a couple friends who aren't yet ready for something like Crossfit, I was asked this same question - "How often should I be doing this excercise?" My response has been just try starting with any one workout one workout day a week, but continue to mix different things in. Once it becomes routine, the benefits are slowly lost. In the case of tabatas, I'd say once a week is good when you're doing different things on those other days you work out. Another good combination for tabatas you might wanna try is rowing machine, push press, sumo deadlight high pull, and box jumps. If you don't have a rowing machine in proximity, you could try medicine ball cleans or burpees instead. Hope that helps.

For me, as a Crossfitter, I don't do the same workout very often, in fact it's rare for a single workout to appear twice in a 2-month period (though I can recall of one instance where we got a WOD appear twice within 2 weeks of each other). It's almost counterintuitive (and this is where the average gym junkie will get lost when it comes to CF), but by doing different excercises instead of a routine, when you come back to any given excercise you will inevitably be able to complete it faster and/or with a heavier load.

The transition on a muscle up is the real killer.

Gymnasticbodies has some good articles on the forums about how to train them. Best way to train the transition, in my opinion, is to try to go a little high on each pull-up (ie start the bottom half of the transition), and a little low on the bottom of each dip (ie start the top part of the transition). Eventually, you can get both to the halfway point, and in putting them together go all the way through the transition.

Whenever I go into the gym for a strength workout, first thing I do is a set of 10 muscle-ups.

Yeah, that's what I hear. As far as dips go, I'm probably as close to that transition point as I can get on bars (I go down to the point where I start running into my own body, so I'm physically unable to get lower), but I'll start utilizing a higher range of motion on strict pullups (bar to chest). Awesome advice, btw, thanks again! I'm also ordering my rings after work today, can't wait! :D

All you need for planches is an open piece of floor. If you want to try planche push-ups, you'll need a set of parallets, but you can build those yourself with <$15 worth of PVC pipes. Here's a site with instructions on how to build them.

For front and back levers, you just need a chinup bar. If there's a playground near where you live, odds are it's got something that will work fine.

If you can get access to a set of rings, the first excercize I'd reccomend to work the stabilizers is a simple support. Arms locked straight, rings turned out. You'll be amazed at how hard this is at first, but you'll also be surprised how quickly you'll get the hang of it. From there you can start working dips, muscle ups, etc.

One thing that is REALLY important when working gymnastics-type strength skills; MAKE SURE YOU WORK YOUR ROTATOR CUFFS. It's common for gymnasts (especially those working with a less experienced coach) to develop shoulder and back problems due to unbalanced strength. Crosses, planches, presses, and even just supports will tend to pull the shoulders forward, putting strain on the upper back. You have to make sure you work your upper back and rotator cuffs to avoid this. Bes excercise for this is to take a stretch band, tie it to something, stand to the side, and rotate your arm outwards with your elbow tucked in to your side, so you're pulling the band outward. I'll see if I can get pics to demonstrate this if necessary.

Speaking of demonstration, didn't you post some videos of yourself at one point? I know this would be a lot of extra time on you, but if you had said time (and a large amount of generosity) it would be AMAZING if you could put together some short easy videos for instruction, for those of us who are interested in starting gymnastics style strength exercises. And we'd all love you and send you pie.

I'll see what I can do.

Actually, once my new ring grips come in (hopefully within the next 2 weeks), I'm planning on doing a bunch of filming. I'll film a few other exercises when I do that.

Don't forget some sexy stretches. You know people will be looking for those too. ;)

Okay, I'm in, though not until may 16th (end of semester).

When I first moved to hawaii I would go everywhere on foot and lived in off-campus student housing, which means every weekend there would be some sort of beach activity. I'd get to the beach with friends about four times a week. I also did judo and was in wicked good shape at the time.

As of now, I haven't been to the beach (san francisco doesn't count) since August. I sleep 4 days a week and pretty much live at school (apparently one can make a bed out of 4 office chairs, a blanket, and a backpack). As for judo, I do it 2 hours a week at school, so no judo really.

Currently 5'8" and 195lbs, though I have a considerable amount of muscle. The fat is definitely there, though.

Will start reporting in regularly after finals.

Neat, I also live on campus at UHM.

I've also been looking to lose some weight myself. I'm currently about 185~ at a height of 5'10 3/4, but I'd like to trim down a bit. I'm actually fairly active (I play basketball regularly), but it's really my diet that's destroying me. The college diet can be pretty killer, calorie-wise. Here's to more fresh veggies and fruits and less fast food!

Rings arrived today :D:D:D:D (thanks again Geoffrey Taucer for the link!!). It was perfect timing, since today's WOD prescribed ring dips. First time in my adult life I've been on rings, and at least as far as dips were concerned it wasn't nearly as taxing as I've been lead to believe. Subbing 2 bar dips for 1 ring dip seems a little...excessive now that I've experienced it.

Anyway...bad news is that I don't have a place at the gym to hang them far enough off the ground to do a muscle up without risking smacking my head on a bar. At the highest point I could only hang them about as far off the ground as when I had a grip on them my arms would make a 90 degree angle, which meant in order to hang off them full extention I had to fully tuck my legs and I still barely hovered above the floor. I found that in this configuration at least, I can't do a muscle-up (also meaning I can't do a strict muscle-up yet). I'm fairly certain I could do a kipping, but I don't have a spot yet where I can test the theory. Jumping muscle-ups, for whatever that's worth, I can do with relative ease. I tried lessening the jump, in order to target that transition point between the pullup and dip components, and maybe I kept aiming just a little high but often found myself at least a little below a low dip and was able to press to full extention. Did 30 in total after the WOD, but broken them up quite a lot.

So, this brings me to my point. Geoffrey Taucer, when you do muscle-ups, do you usually do them with pretty strict form? My second question might tough to answer, but I'm still trying to wrap my mine around the form/hand position...could I ask you to explain a little bit about the false grip? I guess I'm still tring to figure out what the aim of it is as well. Thanks again, man.

Also saw a youtube of planche pushups for the first time and I have to say, how on earth does someone even start training for those?? Totally crazy, but oh so cool.

EDIT: Awesome sig, Steben. Would you mind if I borrowed that? :)

Hey all, can someone maybe post a few good exercises or stretches that can be done at home using only the body? Looking to start a daily routine that be done in the morning before class.

A few ideas: pushups, situps, squats, burpees, box jumps (if you have a bench or something that you can use that would be stable to jump on and off), pullups (if you have something on which you can do them...if you've got a bar, then there's lots more things you can do, but probably not), lunges, running...all great stuff you can do with little to no equipment. I feel compelled to say, though, try to mix up what you do so you're not doing the exact same thing every day ;) I'll also refer you to a previous post I made regarding tabats.

Stretches I'm not well versed in (though I've been thinking getting into some yoga after the STP this year), so I can't give great advice there beyond just general joint mobility, or stretches specific to aikido :P.

Cool, thanks for the reply. My daily routine for the past 6 months or so has mostly included pushups, crunches, jumping jacks, a few leg exercises (calf raises, vertical leap jumping), and basic stretching to increase flexibility. I'm planning on picking up a bar sometime so I can do pull-ups also, but as always I'm always looking for new things to try. Like Penfold mentioned, a little variety.

Rings arrived today :D:D:D:D (thanks again Geoffrey Taucer for the link!!). It was perfect timing, since today's WOD prescribed ring dips. First time in my adult life I've been on rings, and at least as far as dips were concerned it wasn't nearly as taxing as I've been lead to believe. Subbing 2 bar dips for 1 ring dip seems a little...excessive now that I've experienced it.

If you're finding them to be this easy, then you already have fairly strong stabilizer muscles :nicework:

To get the most possible out of a ring workout, make sure that whenever you hit a support (ie at the top of every dip), you have your arms locked straight and the rings turned out.

Geoffrey Taucer, when you do muscle-ups, do you usually do them with pretty strict form?

I start off all my workouts with 10 muscle ups. I tend to start piking them a bit around number 5, and kipping them a bit around number seven or eight.

My second question might tough to answer, but I'm still trying to wrap my mine around the form/hand position...could I ask you to explain a little bit about the false grip? I guess I'm still tring to figure out what the aim of it is as well.

The idea of a false grip is to have your wrists on top of the rings rather than under them. The best way I can describe it is that it's the grip you have if you put your hands through the rings so your wrists are wresting on them, then pull just your thumb back through to grip the ring. I'll see if I can post a video explanation sometime next week.

Also saw a youtube of planche pushups for the first time and I have to say, how on earth does someone even start training for those?? Totally crazy, but oh so cool.

Just do the planche progressions.

I usually do planche push-ups tucked; I can do maybe two or three in a straddle planche, perhaps five on a good day.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the GymnasticBodies website; while he is indeed a genius when it comes to strength and conditioning, he really downplays just how much strength work his kids do. His kids spend SEVERAL HOURS EACH DAY just on conditioning, according to a friend of mine who used to be coached by Sommers. So yes, he gives some great exercises, but don't feel bad if you can't do them as well as the kids in his videos; even most high-level gymnasts aren't as strong as some of those kids.

Awesome, thanks man! So, by having the rings turned out, does that mean at a support your hand are on the inside of the rings with thumb side forward (that's how I would find myself)? As a side note, I'm thinking I have my elbows out too far or something, based on the nice bruises just above my elbows I woke up to this morning :P. Either that or I just have to get used to that contact with the webbing.

When I do the WOD at lunch today, I'll definitely try playing with the false grip...probably do false grip pullups during my warmup or something. I also wanna try playing with some other stuff on rings (I had seen some pushup variations that look like fun), but time might be a little short today. I'll also definitely be looking at the planche progressions, since I'd really like to start working up to those.

Awesome, thanks man! So, by having the rings turned out, does that mean at a support your hand are on the inside of the rings with thumb side forward (that's how I would find myself)?
Yes, if I understand you correctly. They probably won't turn all the way out, but you want them angled outward, because that forces you to lock your arms straight.
As a side note, I'm thinking I have my elbows out too far or something, based on the nice bruises just above my elbows I woke up to this morning :P. Either that or I just have to get used to that contact with the webbing.

Nah, the bruising happens. Just gotta get used to it. As you get stronger, you'll probably find yourself holding the rings slightly wider on your supports, which takes some of the pressure off that spot, though.

EDIT: here's a video of a few of my favorite exercises:

Yes, if I understand you correctly. They probably won't turn all the way out, but you want them angled outward, because that forces you to lock your arms straight.

Nah, the bruising happens. Just gotta get used to it. As you get stronger, you'll probably find yourself holding the rings slightly wider on your supports, which takes some of the pressure off that spot, though.

EDIT: here's a video of a few of my favorite exercises:

Cool, good to know the bruising didn't happen because of a terrible flaw in my form or something :P. Thanks!

The video is awesome, btw. You may have already answered this, but how long have you been doing gymnastics for? Seeing those sorts of things makes me wish I had been involved in gymnastics in my youth, though I'm definitely glad I can at least start incorporating those elements into workouts now.

I've been doing gymnastics for about sixteen years now.

However, I've only recently started doing high-level strength work (aside from planches -- I've been able to do those since I was about 10). Starting when I was at the upper-mid levels, I only competed floor and vault, which don't have the strength requirements of the other events. About a year and a half ago, after being retired from competition for two years, I decided to start training again and putting a bit more emphasis on strength, because I was considering returning to competition on all six events (I've since decided just to compete floor, vault, and rings)

I never even started working on iron crosses until a little less than a year ago.

• 1 month later...

Okay, totally forgot about this thread...

Didn't forget about exercising, though :P

Currently I'm going to the gym 5 days a week, doing Judo 2 days a week, and trying to take my bike instead of driving whenever possible. I'm not sure how much of a difference it has made, but I'm constantly sore and tired so it's probably working!

In terms of food, I'm currently in the habit of eating a large breakfast, a small lunch, and a slightly bigger dinner.

Yay for updates!

• 2 years later...

I'm back into the p90x again, I'm making time for it in the mornings now.

Today I had one hell of a workout, but i only lasted 30 mins of the full hour. Being the fact I was extremely tired going into the workout today, woke up at 5:30am and couldn't get back to sleep.

is it bad if I cut a workout short? Or just can't finish it? other p90x workouts I can finish, plyometrics kicks my ass though.

is it bad if I cut a workout short? Or just can't finish it? other p90x workouts I can finish, plyometrics kicks my ass though.

If you're going at it with everything you have then there's no real harm if you really can't keep going. As long as you're pushing yourself you will adapt and eventually you'll be able to handle more of the workout and the whole thing someday. Just stick with it.

I've been working pretty hard on tuning myself up after letting myself go pretty bad over the winter. In the last 7 months I've regained 7lbs while staying in single digit (9%, but that's still single digit :P ) body fat percentage.

I've switched to 6 small meals a day and work out 3 times a week, each day with a different area of focus, and 25 min of cardio everyday. I have before pics, and at 12 months I'll take some after ones, but already it's pretty ridiculous the change.

Thanks OCR fit club! :D

edit: also, halt, the key is just keep doing what you can and don't let up from the day-to-day. You might do 30 min this time, and 35 next time, but if you do it consistently, the time you can handle goes up. PX90 can be intense, so as long as you don't skip days, you'll start to see results. :-)

• 1 year later...