Stratovarius Split.. :(

Rom Tom

First of all, if you don't like Stratovarius, then you are wasting your time reading this.

But anyways...

The message was for those Stratovarius fans who didn't know they split. Well, more precisely, the soul and the composer of Stratovarius, Timo Tolkki, quit from the rest of the band due to many, many business related events taking place which I will not describe. Its pretty damn upsetting and sad to fans, like myself. If you want it in detail, check out their website, but make sure to look at Timo Tolkki's Website too for his side of the story.

Stratovarius official website: www.strato.jens.org

Tolkki's Website: www.timotolkki.com

For those who don't know about Stratovarius.. well, basically, they are a progressive/power metal band from Finland. They've been around for 22 years, until now, basically. Tolkki is making a new band called Revolution Renaissance. The other four members are still around, and do have plans for making more Strato. But it is unknown whether they will go by that name or not. The singer of Stratovarius, Timo Kotipelto, has his own band..: 'Kotipelto.'

Kotipelto's Official website: www.kotipelto.com

For those who want a basic description of Stratovarius metal: positive, overwhelmingly(?) awesome uplifting metal! You heard me, POSITIVE metal. No negative stuff!

I'm not saying that heavy death metal/screamo/gothic metal is crap... but I personally don't listen to that stuff.:tomatoface: Accually, in the very beginning, I despised all forms of guitar related music.. (except for Gerudo Valley).. but when I heard Stratovarius and their 'positive' and 'powerful' songs.. BOOM they became my fav band.. and thems still is my fav band to this day. Sorry to bore you with that 'testimonial'.. but yeah.. at least you might see why it sucks to hear the news of the main composer and the origin of Stratovarius, Timo Tolkki, split off from the band. :<

Anyways, simply put, I'm not trying to promote Stratovarius because "there's soo much more than this.. a million ways to live.. unlock the door.. to the universe with love.. free your soul" -Infinity

Goodnight, everyone.8)

-RomTom

I too like Stratovarius. I thought the split up was coming as I had followed a bunch of Stratovarius news back in the day and noticed the increasing harsh problems popping up. Breaks my heart, too. I still never heard the Elements Part 2. I need to get listen to that. I like how there are lots of love songs by Stratovarius. They sound totally different from love songs in the Pop genre. In particular, A Million Light Years Away.

That sucks, but they had a long good run, you have to admit.

And what the hell is up with the 'x and x is a better band than Stratovarius' comments? Were we talking about other bands? No.

It's relevant because invariably with a band breakup, there are thoughts of its legacy on its genre (possibly beyond as well). The main inane comment in the thread is this because he clearly shows he missed why the comment was made:

Sounds like you haven't heard many other ______ bands...there are plenty better than ______. :S

It's relevant because invariably with a band breakup, there are thoughts of its legacy on its genre (possibly beyond as well). The main inane comment in the thread is this because he clearly shows he missed why the comment was made:

Ah, sorry about that, I agree I must have missed it [no sarcasm]. I mostly posted that comment because it gets a little tiring seeing threads begin with immediately putting down a person and then claiming "ho ho ho, there are plenty ______ better than ______, HMPHHHH." At the time I just felt like it's already perfectly obvious to most people with a sound brain that that is the case with typically anything, so to say "Sounds like you haven't heard many other ______ bands...there are plenty better than ______" seemed just a tad superfluous (and arguably irrelevant).

So yeah, no harm meant.

Ah, sorry about that, I agree I must have missed it [no sarcasm]. I mostly posted that comment because it gets a little tiring seeing threads begin with immediately putting down a person and then claiming "ho ho ho, there are plenty ______ better than ______, HMPHHHH." At the time I just felt like it's already perfectly obvious to most people with a sound brain that that is the case with typically anything, so to say "Sounds like you haven't heard many other ______ bands...there are plenty better than ______" seemed just a tad superfluous (and arguably irrelevant).

So yeah, no harm meant.

No harm done, I knew why you responded that way. :smile:

Looks like they will be hunting high and low for a replacement. I bet they will find one faster than the speed of light.

Also, Stratovarius was/is a rockin' band. I love uplifting power metal, and I've always liked their straightforward rhythm section and catchy choruses.

Sounds like you haven't heard many other power metal bands...there are plenty better than Strato.

I understand this has been discussed already. But I'm just gonna add, irrelevantly, that I have, indeed, heard many other (power) metal bands (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, and Thunderstone.. Nightwish being the second favourite) Stratovarius just happens to be my favourite:-P. Does anyone know any other 'uplifting' power metal bands?

Stratovarius is/was a good band despite the greatness of the genre today. No, they aren't the most techincical proficient or unique band, but they have so many good, solid songs.

Sure, bands like Dragonland and Nightwish are awesome and take metal in a new direction, but Stratovarius is one of the bands that helped define the genre and I still feel the need for their straighforward approach to power metal.

I understand this has been discussed already. But I'm just gonna add, irrelevantly, that I have, indeed, heard many other (power) metal bands (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, and Thunderstone.. Nightwish being the second favourite) Stratovarius just happens to be my favourite:-P. Does anyone know any other 'uplifting' power metal bands?

My personal favorite is post-Matos Angra - being a Stratovarius fan, you might also like their earlier stuff as well, although their more recent stuff Rebirth and on has been consistently good. Blind Guardian has been mentioned, one of the classic power metal bands, and big pioneers. Helloween and Gamma Ray are also musts for enthusiasts of the genre - they're both famous for their work in pushing the genre forward early on. HammerFall has some good songs, but they seem to have a problem making a mostly good album. Edguy is a fun band, especially live, and might be up your alley.

Here are a few songs for listening:

Angra - Nova Era (from the Rebirth album):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd-i6bCG5-M

Helloween - Eagle Fly Free (this version is sung by the current singer, but you probably will prefer the original version):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pnrSaXW9eA

Edguy - Lavatory Love Machine (if the name didn't give it away, it's one of their less serious songs):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SYjvmYkbPA

HammerFall - Hearts on Fire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1M8uDnFSj4

Blind Guardian - The Last Candle:

Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland (this is a shortened version, probably a radio edit, but enough to give a feel for it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyvra-xOf_k