Has any one heard of the new live action dbz movie?

cfG-21

http://kotaku.com/5008666/first-official-dragonball-movie-promo-image

This will suck horribly, horribly i say! as martial artist i will be disappointed by lack of loyalty to the original source(the manga and cartoon uses kenpo) and they will try to put flashy martial hollywood esque martial arts. The rule of thumb goes :usually, good martial artists are horrible actors and good actors are horrible martial artists. story wise they will butcher, it Americanize it taking away all original content (whether you are a fan or not)

Pure cheeze, horrible acting and probably a horrible pot.

over9000hb2.jpg

I don't mind Goku being a white dude, because Goku's an alien (and who are we to say what aliens look like?), but isn't he a bit on the skinny side? Well, this movie is probably going to turn out bad, but I bet it will still be enjoyable either way. I love crappy movies.

I don't mind Goku being a white dude, because Goku's an alien (and who are we to say what aliens look like?), but isn't he a bit on the skinny side? Well, this movie is probably going to turn out bad, but I bet it will still be enjoyable either way. I love crappy movies.

heh i know a friend that enjoys watching really bad movies on purpose.

Just in case you guys missed some of the character pics...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6051/roadshow3iw0.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9007/roadshow4ej3.jpg

And... DragonBall was pure cheese from the beginning in it's animated form wasn't it? haha. It had a style of its own, which is silly upon reflection, but I kind of miss it because of nostalgia. I think this movie is going to be ridiculous and over the top stupid (possibly, probably terrible), but... I'd be lying if I told you I didn't want to see what's gonna go down. No matter how crappy this movie is I will show up some time in the first week of its release to see it just because it's a freakin' DragonBall movie.

Chow Yun Fat clinches it for me. And that guy from Buffy.

Is anyone actually expecting this to be good?

It's one of those things you have to go see just to see how bad it is...

In all honesty... the only thing this movie needs to do is to be 2 hours of people getting the royal snot beat out of them in extremely unrealistic, yet totally awesome, ways. That's really all I'm asking for...

I never really was into the anime itself, but I want to see this.

Sounds to me like the OP is being a bit nit-picky and *too serious*. Most of his post is conjecture about the perceived quality of the movie. I think the movie should take place in New York and Goku should get a gun that is powered by Dragonball energy. Be glad I have nothing to do with the movie. :P

It has Chow Yun Fat and 2 super hunnies I haven't heard of before. Even with that atrocious topknot they gave the Bulma actress, she's still hot. Sounds like a win to me.

Just in case you guys missed some of the character pics...

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6051/roadshow3iw0.jpg

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9007/roadshow4ej3.jpg

And... DragonBall was pure cheese from the beginning in it's animated form wasn't it? haha. It had a style of its own, which is silly upon reflection, but I kind of miss it because of nostalgia. I think this movie is going to be ridiculous and over the top stupid (possibly, probably terrible), but... I'd be lying if I told you I didn't want to see what's gonna go down. No matter how crappy this movie is I will show up some time in the first week of its release to see it just because it's a freakin' DragonBall movie.

Chow Yun Fat clinches it for me. And that guy from Buffy.

Is anyone actually expecting this to be good?

the purpose of dragon ball is that it was supposed to be silly at times like the fight between the purple ninja and the stick. The whole series was light hearted. dbz took a more serious turn though.

It has Chow Yun Fat and 2 super hunnies I haven't heard of before. Even with that atrocious topknot they gave the Bulma actress, she's still hot. Sounds like a win to me.

Rossum was the lead in the film adaptation of Phantom of the Opera and starred opposite Jake Gylenhall in Day After Tomorrow; she's all the hotter in my book because she really CAN sing. Everyone else in Phantom was a stretch for me, but she carried it.

If you're "into martial arts" or whatever, I don't see how that sort of purism can be applied to a world where people change hair color and destroy entire planets and fight strangely phallic pink aliens... if however you're concerned that they won't respect the source material, that's a whole other story. How can you, really, if you're doing live action? It's a totally different medium, and imo liberties SHOULD be taken to account for this.

It may in fact suck, BUT I'll be cautiously optimistic and say that, at the very least, the casting is looking solid.

Rossum was the lead in the film adaptation of Phantom of the Opera and starred opposite Jake Gylenhall in Day After Tomorrow; she's all the hotter in my book because she really CAN sing. Everyone else in Phantom was a stretch for me, but she carried it.

If you're "into martial arts" or whatever, I don't see how that sort of purism can be applied to a world where people change hair color and destroy entire planets and fight strangely phallic pink aliens... if however you're concerned that they won't respect the source material, that's a whole other story. How can you, really, if you're doing live action? It's a totally different medium, and imo liberties SHOULD be taken to account for this.

It may in fact suck, BUT I'll be cautiously optimistic and say that, at the very least, the casting is looking solid.

heh, i feel honored to have mr. pretzel respond in my thread.It will be based on dragon ball. I've only seen the anime so i don't know much about the manga but goku clearly states that he practices kenpo and many of his postures and some movements are kenpo like. When he went back into the past and met mutenroshi's teacher the sensei remarked what type of kenpo goku practices. Though dragon ball is loosely based on journey to the west they used what japanese interpretation of chinese martial arts is like ,ken po (chinese fist).i've even noticed kenpo movments in dbz but i wasn't speaking for other but my personal opinion as a martial artist.

There are many things in dragon ball related to martial arts that are not noticeable by non martial artists.This leads me to believe that akira did research on such things and used them as a basis for his story...albeit with a lot of exaggeration for story purposes and sometimes poking fun at martial arts (ranma is famous for the latter).

For example, the enlarging of muscles when concentrating ki/chi/chakra. Mutenroshi was the first to show this. That can be lead to the chinese exercise of chi kung (cultivation of chi). i have heard weird stories of people seeing a chi kung masters specific muscle enlarging abnormally when concentrating their chi to a specific location on their body.

Shooting of energy: this is an exaggeration of the martial principle of driving a persons chi (in this case will) past your own body into another person to cause damage or heal.

tao pai pai killing general blue with his tounge:a comical exaggeration of hard ci kung stilyst that can do incredible feats :i.e. poking through bricks with one finger.

vegeta's first fight with one of the androids: when it seemed that vegeta was beating #18 piccoro mentioned if they looked closely she was moving him with her stance. In chinese martial arts this is called bik ma which means to force/enforce the stance or chasing stance. It is a term used in which you put yourself in an advantageous position forcing the opponent to move out of harms way.

There are many subtleties in dragon ball that most martial artist will pick up but like i said i was just expressing the opinion for myself.

The funny thing is that a friend of mine told me about this like 4 years ago... I dunno if he was pulling my leg, or if he just heard some made up rumor, but as he told me originally Brad Pitt was going to play Vegeta (yea right). But anyway, it's nice to have some concrete proof that a real live action movie of DBZ is being made, I was a big DBZ fan many years ago and watched the show pretty much religiously.

The funny thing is that a friend of mine told me about this like 4 years ago... I dunno if he was pulling my leg, or if he just heard some made up rumor, but as he told me originally Brad Pitt was going to play Vegeta (yea right). But anyway, it's nice to have some concrete proof that a real live action movie of DBZ is being made, I was a big DBZ fan many years ago and watched the show pretty much religiously.

No vegeta, this is DB not DBZ

The first movie is based on DB, and the other two will be based on DBZ. I read that the bad guy from the first movie is going to be piccolo, and Goku dies in the beginning of the second movie.

So, guess where we're starting and where we heading? Piccolo -> Saiyan -> Frieza.

The first movie is based on DB, and the other two will be based on DBZ. I read that the bad guy from the first movie is going to be piccolo, and Goku dies in the beginning of the second movie.

Where is this stated, exactly?

The cheesier the movie, in this case, the better. I loved DB as kid, and I loved DBZ as a teen (no, I have no idea why, I just did). I think this movie will make me a happy guy, no matter how bad it is. Just like Speed Racer (though I'm not saying that was a bad movie). I'm not worried about plot or anything on this one. I mean, really, Dragon Ball was a glorified "Fighting Fighters" story with a giant monkey and a green dude, and Dragon Ball Z was about MARTIAL ARTS ALIENS BATTLING FOR GALACTIC SUPREMACY! To be honest, I don't know how the plot could get any worse from a critical stand point =D. But that don't stop me from loving it. And since this just supposed to be a Dragon Ball movie (not Z), if it has kung-fu fights, super moves, and some evil green guy, I'm down.

Also, Chow Yun-Fat FTW. He can't fail as Roshi.

DJ Metal