OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

yeah it's so bad now I mean we should go back to vanilla tf2 and just have team red demomen vs team blu demomen

the demo was nerfed before we even started playing

and i dont mean those early changes that balanced the game, i mean all the freaking updates which introduced a few new mechanics and made the game a little stupider every time

One team had five Engineers on Turbine holding down the center area yesterday.

So, yes, it was a problem.

I reject your assertion that a team of five engineers is a problem. It's wholly doable and often fun. Do you also have problems with matches that are all heavy, sniper, or spy? Cause we've had some pretty epic matches of just that. How about hide and seek spy/pyro, or melee only?

It's a rare thing to hear a team complain that they have too many engineers, so I'm going to ask you to illustrate why having five engineers is a problem. Usually, it's a bunch of guys having fun. Are you against having fun? :D

I reject your assertion that a team of five engineers is a problem. It's wholly doable and often fun. Do you also have problems with matches that are all heavy, sniper, or spy? Cause we've had some pretty epic matches of just that. How about hide and seek spy/pyro, or melee only?

It's a rare thing to hear a team complain that they have too many engineers, so I'm going to ask you to illustrate why having five engineers is a problem. Usually, it's a bunch of guys having fun. Are you against having fun? :D

When your fun affects other peoples fun, then yes.

I don't know. If a team can work together and mass up ubers + demos or even pyros, then it's completely productive. When they get all pissy about the sentry wall and attempt to take it down by themselves of course they're going to fail miserably. Then we're allowed to laugh at them.

When your fun affects other peoples fun, then yes.

This has a lot less to do with engineers than it does with one team being much better than another. I hate getting rolled too, but that's why you have your "auto-scramble" stuff. If you're getting crushed by 5 engies, then you'll only have to worry about it for a round.

I don't know. If a team can work together and mass up ubers + demos or even pyros, then it's completely productive. When they get all pissy about the sentry wall and attempt to take it down by themselves of course they're going to fail miserably.

This is the problem 9 times out of 10.

So...a two engineer class limit...

...can't we just take them outta the game yet? No one really WANTS to play engy, they just get stuck with it.

:-D

Not true. I like playing engy on goldrush and dustbowl, because holding your stuff (especially teleports) actually matters.

Anyways, valve has the best writing for their blog thing ever.

So I downloaded an FTP client because I banned Trianine by accident when I meant to ban someone who was trolling...so if he's still somehow banned, could someone look into it asap?

Also, I added D-Lux onto the admins list on recommendation by garian & some of my own thought. He's on a fair amount late at night according to garian, so I figure it's a good solution over having me log on my laptop and take 5 minutes loading.

I also removed the scramble plugin after I had a complaint about Ele being on defense 3 times in a row and pav being on offense 5 times in a row.

Man this server stuff cost me an hour of sleep :-(

The scramble plugin would be awesome if it didn't suck so much. Changes to the parameters might make it work better, but I think it's best for the players to decide when a scramble is necessary.

The server is also noticeably full of demo/soldier most of the time. It sucks. If you're going to impose an Engineer class limit on Turbine, then you might as well put a limit those classes, and then on every class while you're at it.

I'm an admin now. You're all screwed.

I hereby petition to force all players to be on random teams and pick a random class every time they spawn. That way, if steamrolls happen, you can blame Valve's RNG.

The server is also noticeably full of demo/soldier most of the time. It sucks. If you're going to impose an Engineer class limit on Turbine, then you might as well put a limit those classes, and then on every class while you're at it.

I disagree. Both demo and soldier are classes that can be played well on offense or defense. Plus both are viable uber candidates. The reason we have imposed limits on engie, spy, and sniper in the past are due to these being classes that are only effective in certain situations.

Personally, I'm not a fan of class caps. Sure, it can be annoying when your team of 4 snipers and 2 spies gets steamrolled, but it's just as fun rocking out of the gate in steel with nothing but scouts. I'd argue that the more we limit classes, the more "serious" we make the server, and hence the less fun it gets.

I disagree. Both demo and soldier are classes that can be played well on offense or defense. Plus both are viable uber candidates. The reason we have imposed limits on engie, spy, and sniper in the past are due to these being classes that are only effective in certain situations.

Personally, I'm not a fan of class caps. Sure, it can be annoying when your team of 4 snipers and 2 spies gets steamrolled, but it's just as fun rocking out of the gate in steel with nothing but scouts. I'd argue that the more we limit classes, the more "serious" we make the server, and hence the less fun it gets.

Well, any limit I had put before was only meant to be temporary, and to prevent achievement whorers & people from whoring one class to the point of hurting the fun of everyone else, such as when the spy & sniper update came out.

When I was checking the cfg files, I didn't see any class limit enabled though, or even a ctf_turbine.cfg.