OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

If pipes couldn't do direct hits Demoman would lose too much. That's his defense against incoming scouts and other close range hooligans. Even now nailing a good scout in the face with the nade launcher while he's in close range is easier said than done. Demo doesn't have the typical hitscan shotgun to defend himself, he has two projectile weapons and a bottle. No, if you really want to nerf him (unnecessary imo but...) you'd have to do something else.

That's his defense against incoming scouts and other close range hooligans.

yeah what I'm saying is he shouldn't have that defense

what you're saying now would, logically, mean that the sniper should have some kind of uh I don't know some kind of super gun that kills all close range attackers just in case he doesn't snipe them

yeah what I'm saying is he shouldn't have that defense

He shouldn't have a non-melee weapon that let's him directly hit an enemy? What exactly is a Demo supposed to do if an opponent gets close in? Stickies are trap weapons, not one-on-one fighting weapons.

What the hell would you use the pipebombs for if they didn't hit anyone? Just rolling them around on the floor? That's incredibly unreliable.

He shouldn't have a non-melee weapon that let's him directly hit an enemy? What exactly is a Demo supposed to do if an opponent gets close in?

uh maybe not just OHKO them

Just rolling them around on the floor? That's incredibly unreliable.

what like SMG level unreliable because yeah that's the idea

uh maybe not just OHKO them

what like SMG level unreliable because yeah that's the idea

It can only OHKO them with random damage on. It can sometimes do a little more than 125dmg, but it can also do as little as around 70dmg. How is THAT reliable? For whatever reason, that multiplier is the silliest of any. Without random damage, a direct rocket and a direct pipe do approximately 100 each.

At medium to close range, no-scoping is very effective. At point blank the smg does over 80dps. The sniper is more than capable of defending himself...

Oh. And snipers don't injure themselves in an attempt to kill thing's in close proximity.

it can also do as little as around 70dmg. How is THAT reliable?

'as little as 70'

so a gun that does at the very least half of your opponents health if it connects is unreliable

rooofl

At point blank the smg does over 80dps.

if he manages to connect for a full second yeah as opposed to one projectile

no its because what you said doesnt make any sense you dope

you were i guess implying that you dont wanna use stickies to kill people but if youre a demoman that primarily relies on stickies to get kills you are a TERRIBLE demoman

Look at anyone in the OCR Top 50 who plays demo with some regularity. Not a single one has more pipe kills than sticky kills, and the percentage even goes up to 70%+ for sticky kills vs. 30% pipe kills.

Where's your argument again?

@ FireSlash: I don't think anyone's expecting anything to be done about it...we're just enjoying some debate.

I must admit, though, the debate would be more interesting if people kept it at least seemingly civil and actually replied instead of laughing or yawning. Meh.

'as little as 70'

so a gun that does at the very least half of your opponents health if it connects is unreliable

rooofl

if he manages to connect for a full second yeah as opposed to one projectile

... do you think it's easy to land pipes or something? Headshots do 150 damage at the very least. Both require precision aiming. I think one headshot is a lot easier to land than 2 consecutive pipes. Two rockets are also easier to land, and will also kill.

If the pipes don't make a direct hit, you're screwed. The demoman's close-range game is one of the hardest. Skilled demomen stand out because they're better at this. It's still hard.

... do you think it's easy to land pipes or something? Headshots do 150 damage at the very least. Both require precision aiming. I think one headshot is a lot easier to land than 2 consecutive pipes. Two rockets are also easier to land, and will also kill.

If the pipes don't make a direct hit, you're screwed. The demoman has one of the hardest close range games.

rambo I think the problem here is you're assuming that 'easy to play' and 'overpowered' are the same thing

I have repeatedly said that a good demoman is overpowered; a demoman that can't hit you with anything will, like any other class, die very easily

rambo I think the problem here is you're assuming that 'easy to play' and 'overpowered' are the same thing

Not so.

I have repeatedly said that a good demoman is overpowered; a demoman that can't hit you with anything will, like any other class, die very easily

Okay. I'll concede that a good demoman is overpowered against a pub full of noobs. You win.

Look at anyone in the OCR Top 50 who plays demo with some regularity. Not a single one has more pipe kills than sticky kills, and the percentage even goes up to 70%+ for sticky kills vs. 30% pipe kills.

Where's your argument again?

on pubs when youre playing with mostly idiots (any pub) youll get plenty of kills with traps and most horrible demomen will rely on that to get ALL their kills

play against any GOOD demo and the pipes are really what will kill you most of the time (unless you are in the category of morons on pubs which i guess you are in which case the sticky traps will get you every time because youre a dope)

im not gonna write up a thing on how to play demoman but really though if you think thats telling that you need to use stickies to get all your kills you really are thick

and a good anything is overpowered against a pub full of idiots rambo

This entire discussion is retarded. None of the admins here are going to alter or limit the Demo in any way on the OCR server. If you want to whine about a class being OP, try steampowered.

Why does everyone have to take debate the wrong way? I don't think anybody said anything about server-imposed Demoman limitations on OCR. If somebody did, sorry, I just missed it.

OP was a bad choice of word. I never meant it too negatively, like "OMG demo is so broken nerf now". If you really are tired of getting owned by Demomanz just wait for the Demoman update. Then 70% of all pubbers will use crappy unlock weapons and will be easy to take down. On a similar note, I cannot wait for the Soldier update. Here's to an inferior alternative to the shotgun that will make my Pyro-ing much, much easier!

OP was a bad choice of word. I never meant it too negatively, like "OMG demo is so broken nerf now". If you really are tired of getting owned by Demomanz just wait for the Demoman update. Then 70% of all pubbers will use crappy unlock weapons and will be easy to take down. On a similar note, I cannot wait for the Soldier update. Here's to an inferior alternative to the shotgun that will make my Pyro-ing much, much easier!

Starting with the Spy/Sniper update, it's not guaranteed for any specific weapon slot to be changed.

As far as we know, there will be two new rocket launcher replacements and a replacement for the shovel that can bounce projectiles (including rockets) or something.

As far as we know, there will be two new rocket launcher replacements and a replacement for the shovel that can bounce projectiles (including rockets) or something.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

EDIT: Also, you told me I was added to the reserved slot thing on the server but I'm still getting turned away with the reserved slot message. It is sad day.

hey guys! i'm new here, can't believe i haven't found this place before. i really like the server =]

i hope i'm not overstepping my bounds as a new member saying this, but it's something i've noticed before i even read this thread: bleck, i'm sure you're a nice guy but you really ruin the atmosphere of the server sometimes with your passive-aggressive 'oh another demoman kill' stuff, and you like to take it out on everyone including new people like me. am i supposed to just switch classes when i'm still learning? i don't think it warrants such bitterness. we're all here just to have fun and play casually - can you tone it down please, or just limit it to the forums? please please!!

i wish i was good enough to weigh in on this balance discussion, though. maybe someday! see you kids on the server

hey guys! i'm new here, can't believe i haven't found this place before. i really like the server =]

i hope i'm not overstepping my bounds as a new member saying this, but it's something i've noticed before i even read this thread: bleck, i'm sure you're a nice guy but you really ruin the atmosphere of the server sometimes with your passive-aggressive 'oh another demoman kill' stuff, and you like to take it out on everyone including new people like me. am i supposed to just switch classes when i'm still learning? i don't think it warrants such bitterness. we're all here just to have fun and play casually - can you tone it down please, or just limit it to the forums? please please!!

i wish i was good enough to weigh in on this balance discussion, though. maybe someday! see you kids on the server

not trolling

i really like your username

Welcome,

Meh, just mute or ignore people that don't make it fun for you. Also be forewarned, I'm an asshole sometimes too :b

What I've never understood is how people can have so little time in some classes. There is no way you can be good at this game without learning each class.