OCR TF2: New Server forthcoming - new server IPs and other stuff

Bahamut

Updated!! RAR!! AGAIN!!

This is the current list of Patch recipients. If your name isn't on there and you want one, they are free, and I need to know because once the 50 are gone, no more patch forever.

If you want one, just post in the thread and ask for one.

48/50 are already gone! Once they are gone, they are gone from forever!!

This. Can I have one? =o if there are any left that is.

Yeah, that's not actually Portal 2, it's the Portal + HL2: Episode 2 beta for the Novint Falcon, a special 3D force feedback controller. Confused me too when I first saw it (I thought "Novint Falcon" was the subtitle for Portal 2), but I'm glad I checked it out because it's a pretty cool controller. Even kinda looks like a Portal gun. :P

But yeah, they added TF2 into the beta a little while ago even though they didn't change the name, so it'll affect that too.

Yeah, that's not actually Portal 2, it's the Portal + HL2: Episode 2 beta for the Novint Falcon, a special 3D force feedback controller. Confused me too when I first saw it (I thought "Novint Falcon" was the subtitle for Portal 2), but I'm glad I checked it out because it's a pretty cool controller. Even kinda looks like a Portal gun. :P

But yeah, they added TF2 into the beta a little while ago even though they didn't change the name, so it'll affect that too.

If thats what this is i will update valve asap I hope you are right. This has been giving me fits!

New TF2 Blog post today:

First things first, there's a Bonus Sniper vs. Spy update page.

"In the first few hours after the release yesterday, we had some issues that prevented the system from working properly, so that timeframe was not indicative of the system as it's designed."

Presumably, that's what the patch last night was to fix.

Here are upcoming features:

- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

- Giving players a method to influence the system so they can work directly toward getting specific items.

- Adding more rare items like the hats.

Here are upcoming features:

- Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

- Giving players a method to influence the system so they can work directly toward getting specific items.

- Adding more rare items like the hats.

oh hey so they replaced the system that worked just fine but was inherently dumb with a system that is half-finished buggy and still inherently dumb

gg valve gg

oh hey so they replaced the system that worked just fine but was inherently dumb with a system that is half-finished buggy and still inherently dumb

gg valve gg

And to top off the combo, they implement it, THEN explain it days later. kthxbai

The negativity in the world today astounds me. I mean, really; is your life so miserable that you have to invest yourself in complaining about every little misstep a developer makes?

I also feel obligated to point out that if this were any other company, we'd be shafted for at least another two months before these issues were addressed.

On-topic, Pipeline seems to have been very favorably received. That got me thinking back to Goldrush and Dustbowl, oddly enough; and a theory regarding the popularity of those maps came to me.

Simply put, they were first.

Not first as in stock, obviously, but the first of their type. 2fort fits into that as well with ctf, and even Hydro to an extent; 5-point cp breaks the mold on account of having two maps at release, and as such it seems to be less popular than the other modes.

I could be wrong, I'm only speculating. But the reasoning strikes me as solid.

The negativity in the world today astounds me. I mean, really; is your life so miserable that you have to invest yourself in complaining about every little misstep a developer makes?

yes

and you repeatedly and annoyingly pointing out that people are complaining about something that needs to be complained about isn't doing anything but making you more annoying

yes

and you repeatedly and annoyingly pointing out that people are complaining about something that needs to be complained about isn't doing anything but making you more annoying

Explain to me with a straight face why this needs to be complained about.

They know the problem exists. They keep tabs on their product like any diligent company would.

Also, get another hobby. Gardening, maybe. I'd bet good money on you feeling like less of an asshole after planting some flowers and watching them grow.

Yeah, you guys are no better than the people at the l4d forums. Patch could be out 10 minutes, but people act like its the end of the gaming world if a few things are not perfect. Seriously, there's other games to play, and if you don't get to play the game exactly how you want to this weekend I'm sure Valve is not gonna close up shop and shut down servers so you can never play again. I myself am going to play FFXI, so there. :D

Explain to me with a straight face why this needs to be complained about.

it doesn't need to be complained about

that doesn't mean I'm going to refrain from doing it

alternatively, you don't really need to ask me why I think it needs to be complained about, so why are you doing it???

Yeah, you guys are no better than the people at the l4d forums. Patch could be out 10 minutes, but people act like its the end of the gaming world if a few things are not perfect.

yeah because surely valve will know what exploits to fix when nobody complains about them

So I'm at a hosting dilemma for the new server. I got linked to a hosting company that looks to be excellent, and the ideal option would be $95 a month for a 25 slot server. I could go cheaper ($38 or so being the cheapest) for a 24 or 25 slot server, but the quality probably won't be much different from Gameservers.

For reference, on a test server for this new hosting location, I get 10-15 or so ping less than the Chicago location one with our current server.

Yet another option Pyrion suggested would be to have someone build a server and get a powerful enough dedicated connection (perhaps would have to go with some specialized business option) to host one, and have everyone chip in. We would be able to host at the least 2 TF2 servers and 1 L4D one simultaneously, as well as other stuff, but it probably would be pricey to have everyone chip in. On the flip side, we would have all of the power to do what we want with this option. Again, this requires quite a monetary committment from multiple people though, especially the one hosting.

Thoughts?

Mind you guys, the colo option costs a lot up-front to build the actual rig, but the bandwidth and site rental costs are piddly when you compare just how much you can run (basically the limits of the rig you build and the bandwidth available on-site) to paying for each server separately.

For the sake of comparison, what my clan does now would cost well over $300 a month that, after the cost of building the box is concerned, is about $80 a month. Two TF2 servers (one pub, one private), one L4D server, Ventrilo and Mumble servers (I think those are separate, so that's where a good chunk of the monthly cost goes anyways). I'd have to check with my clanmates responsible for this as to where they got their colo and how much it costs for that option per month, but it can't be more than about $50 a month after the cost of building the box.

Course, you basically do your own tech support, so someone would have to be fluent in remote administration.

yeah because surely valve will know what exploits to fix when nobody complains about them

Thats why theres a report bug thread in their forums. But when you have 50 posts on first 2 pages of their forums saying "ZOMG ITEMS BROKE FIX NOW" then followed by a 1 paragraph 50 sentence line of bad grammar and spelling saying that they couldn't get it to work, that's not reporting, that's just average internet "I demand perfection" that is very annoying. I'd like to know exactly where and at what point the gaming community shifted from accepting that PC games needed patching and updates to fix things, and that it took a little time, to a "gimme gimmie" demand that is so ridiciulously over the top that I can't help to shake my head at it.

Thank god I'm still not on any mod teams or I'd go crazy from idiots by now.

I'd like to know exactly where and at what point the gaming community shifted from accepting that PC games needed patching and updates to fix things, and that it took a little time, to a "gimme gimmie" demand that is so ridiciulously over the top that I can't help to shake my head at it.

CheaterStrike.

I'm not kidding.