Suggestions on the PS3

Schwaltzvald

After a long, long looooooooooooong time of deliberating between the PS3 and 360, I decided to settle upon getting the PS3.

Any suggestions on what games to take a look..?

I've already considered Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea 3 (strategy junkie). I'm open to any and most suggestions except FPS; over the shoulder's fine considering RE5 caught my interest.

The PC already fills the FPS niche quite nicely already though.

After a long, long looooooooooooong time of deliberating between the PS3 and 360, I decided to settle upon getting the PS3.

Any suggestions on what games to take a look..?

I've already considered Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea 3 (strategy junkie). I'm open to any and most suggestions except FPS; over the shoulder's fine considering RE5 caught my interest.

The PC already fills the FPS niche quite nicely already though.

Unfortunately, the PS3 has become the defacto FPS console of this generation (mostly at Sony's behest).

If you're looking for RPGs (VC, Disgaea notwithstanding), the 360 was the system to choose.

Unfortunately, the PS3 has become the defacto FPS console of this generation (mostly at Sony's behest).

If you're looking for RPGs (VC, Disgaea notwithstanding), the 360 was the system to choose.

I haven't bought it yet, I'm trying to gather as much info as I can through various means.

Oddly enough though I can't... seem to get into what rpgs exist on the 360. It's the damndest thing and I can't figure out why. Neither of the Fable titles (rented them on his oldxbox/360) held my interest. Mass effect didn't hold my interest, nor did blue odyssey. Most just seem easily forgotten to me.

I don't count games like Oblivion/Bioshock/FO3 as they exist on the PC and have borrowed from friends and bought (mainly F03 for PC)

I may just go with a rental for Dead-Space (assuming I get the PS3) and simply enjoy the option of Blueray Discs for now and just mooch off my friend's 360; which luckily he doesn't seem to mind for now.

Man... aside from a few sleeper hits and good titles, the whoie console spectrum seems more underwhelming than Nintendo's prizes for registering games... I don't know whether to laugh or sigh hard...

At least the PS2's chugging along fine... :lol:

Any more thoughts are welcomed.

Just for fun I went to both IGN's PS3 and 360 sites, filtered all reviews by RPGs, and this is what I got:

Last Remnant, The RPG 5.3 Nov 24, 2008

Infinite Undiscovery RPG 7.1 Aug 27, 2008

Tales of Vesperia RPG 8.2 Aug 22, 2008

Spectral Force 3 RPG 4.9 Aug 4, 2008

Lost Odyssey RPG 8.2 Feb 6, 2008

Mass Effect RPG 9.4 Nov 19, 2007

Eternal Sonata RPG 8.3 Sep 13, 2007

Two Worlds RPG 6.8 Sep 7, 2007

Blue Dragon RPG 7.9 Aug 15, 2007

Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles, The RPG 8.3 Mar 27, 2007

Phantasy Star Universe RPG 6.4 Nov 6, 2006

Enchanted Arms RPG 7.6 Aug 30, 2006

Final Fantasy XI RPG 6.9 May 3, 2006

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The

PS3:

Eternal Sonata RPG 8.7 Oct 24, 2008

Enchanted Arms RPG 6.5 Apr 3, 2007

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The RPG 9.2 Mar 26, 2007

wat

Yeh, a chunk of games for the PS3 are FPS's. You'll enjoy Valkyria Chronicles if you're into that turn based/RPG stuff, at least I loved it. I hear Eternal Sonata is also a good RPG to get (but that's also on the 360). I also recommend Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction, that was a fun action/adventure one. Then of course there's MGS4, that is if you don't count that as an FPS.

Thing is, most of the good games you'll find on the PS3 are on the 360 as well. I only got my PS3 cuz it's the only place you'll find MGS4 - FFXIII as well but we all know that ain't an exclusive anymore. Personally, I think if you don't have your eyes on exclusives like MGS4 or Final Fantasy vs XIII (assuming it's actually good), you're better off getting a 360. Having said that though, I really do think Valkyria Chronicles is worth a play.

Just for fun I went to both IGN's PS3 and 360 sites, filtered all reviews by RPGs, and this is what I got:

Last Remnant, The RPG 5.3 Nov 24, 2008

Infinite Undiscovery RPG 7.1 Aug 27, 2008

Tales of Vesperia RPG 8.2 Aug 22, 2008

Spectral Force 3 RPG 4.9 Aug 4, 2008

Lost Odyssey RPG 8.2 Feb 6, 2008

Mass Effect RPG 9.4 Nov 19, 2007

Eternal Sonata RPG 8.3 Sep 13, 2007

Two Worlds RPG 6.8 Sep 7, 2007

Blue Dragon RPG 7.9 Aug 15, 2007

Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles, The RPG 8.3 Mar 27, 2007

Phantasy Star Universe RPG 6.4 Nov 6, 2006

Enchanted Arms RPG 7.6 Aug 30, 2006

Final Fantasy XI RPG 6.9 May 3, 2006

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The

PS3:

Eternal Sonata RPG 8.7 Oct 24, 2008

Enchanted Arms RPG 6.5 Apr 3, 2007

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The RPG 9.2 Mar 26, 2007

wat

there's a reason that the xbox is called the fpsbox, man. there's a lot of rpgs for xbox, but you're missing one big thing. ALL OF THEM SUCK. tales, maybe lost odyssey, and mass effect (which is half shooter) is it. enchanted arms and eternal sonata's on the ps3, oblivion's impossible to play on consoles because the lack of ram and cache makes loading times horrid, blue dragon is sooo boring (doesn't pick up until the second disc?!?), with terrible voice acting and a story that makes no sense, the lead designer on undiscovery told reporters that american rpgs are easier because you can pay less attention to detail, two worlds is excruciating hard and the world is completely empty (although it's on a massive scale), last remnant is graphically glitched and isn't paced well, spectral force's metacritic rating is 59, phantasy star universe is bad (better on ps2), and ff11 illustrates why consoles are bad for mmo games. if you don't like gears of war, halo, retro gaming, cod, or fable, or if you want to wander around in a new version of second life, get a ps3. i happen to like all of the games and hate ps home.

you're not mentioning the future lineup for either console, don't forget. ps3's got some great games coming out that are console-specific in all genres, but i think that 360's lineup is more appealing to someone of the OP's tastes.

Mirror's Edge is good for a rental, at least. Not really a shooter, but it seems to have trouble deciding WHAT it is.

Devil May Cry 4 is loads of fun after you get past the insanely long install process.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is flat out one of the best (and most frustrating) racing games I have ever played. I'm just hoping when the final version of GT5 comes out, they cut Prologue owners a break on the price.

Little Big Planet....get it. That's all that needs to be said

White Knight Chronicles...they need to hurry up and release the damned thing already

PAIN. Mindless fun, cheap, entertaining.

Sure, DMC and ME are both on 360 as well, but they're still worth playing. Overall, I bought mine for bluray. Found out later that it also makes a fantastic media center (TVersity, FTW). First thing to do (unless you got the 160gb model) is upgrade the HDD. As cheap as notebook drives are these days, there's no reason not to cram as much storage in there as you can (especially if you're going to use it as a media center and download lots of demos/movies).

Mirror's Edge is good for a rental, at least. Not really a shooter, but it seems to have trouble deciding WHAT it is.

Devil May Cry 4 is loads of fun after you get past the insanely long install process.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is flat out one of the best (and most frustrating) racing games I have ever played. I'm just hoping when the final version of GT5 comes out, they cut Prologue owners a break on the price.

Little Big Planet....get it. That's all that needs to be said

White Knight Chronicles...they need to hurry up and release the damned thing already

PAIN. Mindless fun, cheap, entertaining.

Sure, DMC and ME are both on 360 as well, but they're still worth playing. Overall, I bought mine for bluray. Found out later that it also makes a fantastic media center (TVersity, FTW). First thing to do (unless you got the 160gb model) is upgrade the HDD. As cheap as notebook drives are these days, there's no reason not to cram as much storage in there as you can (especially if you're going to use it as a media center and download lots of demos/movies).

Ha, I <3 TVersity too, although that has been rendered obsolete for me with my home theater system. The PS3 sure has some good media features in terms of networking that the 360 can't match.

PS3 isn't the gaming system it would have you believe it is. I honestly believe you will regret purchasing it. No matter the type of game you're interested in, you're much better off with Xbox 360.

I loved the PS2 during it's time, but Sony really lost their way during this generation. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Nintendo stepped in. I'm willing to hope that Sony can pull their act together in time, but time is almost up, and they haven't done well so far.

PS3 isn't the gaming system it would have you believe it is. I honestly believe you will regret purchasing it. No matter the type of game you're interested in, you're much better off with Xbox 360.

I loved the PS2 during it's time, but Sony really lost their way during this generation. Meanwhile, Microsoft and Nintendo stepped in. I'm willing to hope that Sony can pull their act together in time, but time is almost up, and they haven't done well so far.

I dunno man...both systems have almost the same 3rd party games, and in terms of exclusives, PS3 and 360 were about even in terms of quantity and quality this year in my opinion. Looking at next year, Microsoft doesn't have a lot on the way, but Sony's got a lot of stuff - Killzone 2, the next ICO team game, next Ratchet and clank, Uncharted 2, Infamous, Fat Princess, Flower, Heavy Rain, and more stuff.

I have both. I got my MGS4 PS3 in the middle of the year and I've been playing it quite a bit more than my 360, though part of that is me catching up on good PS3 stuff that came out earlier like Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Wipeout HD, Pixeljunk Monsters and Eden, I got Motorstorm 1 and Heavenly Sword for $15 each (both worth that money). I just got Suikoden on PSN, and I gave my bro Valkyrie Chronicles for Christmas, so I've got more PS3 to play still.

Seems pretty even to me, with PS3 maybe having some more of the interesting exclusives this coming year. 6 months ago I would have said 360 by a little bit, but I think a lot of Sony's games that have been in the oven for a long while are finally coming along and are quite compelling.

Seems pretty even to me, with PS3 maybe having some more of the interesting exclusives this coming year. 6 months ago I would have said 360 by a little bit, but I think a lot of Sony's games that have been in the oven for a long while are finally coming along and are quite compelling.

I'm also banking on the PS3 filling in that niche area where the Wii or the 360/PC rarely or ever fill in, such as the case with Valkyrie Chronicles and Disgaea 3.

Plus I dislike the 360 on account of my PC can play the same titles it tend to have, and much better, where there are some I can't play or expect a PC port from the PS3 library...

Also I'll have to agree on another earlier poster, most of the rpgs on the 360 did sucked... Maybe that's why I didn't stay too long with them on my friend's 360...

i'm of the honest opinion that there will never be another rpg console like the ps2. there just isn't anything else out there that has more than a few good games. granted, ps2 had 7-8 years to put good games on it, but i don't think anything will match it. and i never owned one, so don't call me a fanboy :< if anything, i'm an ms fanboy who hates ms.

i'm of the honest opinion that there will never be another rpg console like the ps2.

I would have thought the original PSX was moreso the console of RPGs; with FF7, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, to name the few. Well, I guess PS2 has FFX (which I didn't like), Xenosaga and Persona series (both of which I haven't played), so maybe you're right.

i'm an ms fanboy who hates ms.

lol wut?

I would have thought the original PSX was moreso the console of RPGs; with FF7, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, to name the few. Well, I guess PS2 has FFX (which I didn't like), Xenosaga and Persona series (both of which I haven't played), so maybe you're right.

i said ps2 because you could play ps1 games on it. i realize that they weren't made for it, but you could play those originals on it as well, expanding the library. you're also forgetting ffxii, which was a damn good game, albeit really short.

lol wut?

i hate their business practices and crappy quality control. i love their products.

I ended up getting an Xbox 360 over a PS3 if that says anything.

Honestly though, the PS3 doesn't have that many great exclusive titles at all -- mostly a few epic sequels. The second I heard FF 13 was coming out for Xbox 360 though, I had to get a 360. That said I might regret not being able to play Versus 13. Right now, neither console is too exciting RPG-wise (Come to think of it, the PSP is probably a better system than both RPG-wise.) I'll wait for the PS4 to play the few exclusive PS3 games I miss this generation. Of course, you never know, Sony could step it up a notch come 2009, but I believe this was the year a comeback was forecast, and, well, not too much happened.

Also, if you play online, for some mysterious reason, 360 online play is butter smooth and has much less bugs than PS3 games tends to. Every release, we hear about some fatal bug for a PS3 game. Other than the typical Red Ring, you don't hear too much about that for 360 games as far as online-play goes.

And downloadable content is still going pretty strong. Other than VC for the Wii, the community games and XBL (even though they are mostly available for PS3 as well) works really well.

It's not so enviable to tangle with the Home fiasco as well. At least not yet. I do hope to get a PS3 for the obscure games + Bluray tho.

What's with the comparission between Xbox 360 and PS3 in this thred? OP wanted suggestions on PS3 games, not another fanboy war.

Anyway! I loved LittleBigPlanet. It's quite unique, and there is always something new to play. Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. Download the demo from PSN and try it. Resistance 2 got lost in te Gears 2 hype, but it's really a great (FPS)game. Fallout 3 is a given if you like that type of game. Wipeout HD is my current obbsession. Megaman 9 if you like the concept. Bioshock is also good. And MGS4 if you like the series.

What's with the comparission between Xbox 360 and PS3 in this thred? OP wanted suggestions on PS3 games, not another fanboy war.

Anyway! I loved LittleBigPlanet. It's quite unique, and there is always something new to play. Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. Download the demo from PSN and try it. Resistance 2 got lost in te Gears 2 hype, but it's really a great (FPS)game. Fallout 3 is a given if you like that type of game. Wipeout HD is my current obbsession. Megaman 9 if you like the concept. Bioshock is also good. And MGS4 if you like the series.

I'd say these are some pretty good recommendations based on what my friends have been enjoying -- especially LittleBigPlanet.

Also, Drake's fortune is supposed to be pretty amazing. The sequel looks like it's coming along well too.

I don't see any fanboy war going on; typically this community is good about that because we're not 13 year old douchewads.

The comparison was because he said he liked RPGs -- something that the 360 currently EXCELS at, while the PS3 lags far, far behind.

Hell, even the Wii has more RPGs than the PS3 right now.

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

I actually have a Wii as well so I've already had some titles on it.

I haven't seen Resistance for the PC so I may try that along with LBP.

Just got to wait till Saturday to go and get it, so any more thoughts, especially perspectives on titles on the console are welcomed!

edit: For example I'm reading that Prince of Persia (latest one) is bombing sales wise... Is it worth considering..?

I don't see any fanboy war going on; typically this community is good about that because we're not 13 year old douchewads.

The comparison was because he said he liked RPGs -- something that the 360 currently EXCELS at, while the PS3 lags far, far behind.

Hell, even the Wii has more RPGs than the PS3 right now.

Quality, not quantity my dear boy.