Windows 7 - 50$ upgrade preorders, don't pay until shipping, no catch!

so, i know that threads have come up occasionally about this, but i figured i'd start another one.

windows 7 will release on oct. 22, 2009. it will release in several editions, each offering different limitations and at different price points. it will be significantly more backwards-compatible than vista was, and will feature a streamlined interface with improved networking, folder filing, and fewer user notifications.

i'd suggest checking out wikipedia's articles on features that are new to the OS and features that have been removed.

editions confirmed as of now (pasted from wikipedia):

Windows 7 Starter

An option for "folks that will do very limited things with their PCs": the Windows Aero theme is not included, and it will be not available in a 64-bit variant. This edition will be available pre-installed on computers through system integrators or computer manufacturers.

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Basic will be available in emerging markets such as Brazil, People's Republic of China, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Pakistan, the Philippines, and Thailand. It will not be available in countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, The Netherlands, United Arab Emirates , Saudi Arabia , New Zealand, the United States, and the United Kingdom. Windows 7 Home Basic can run an unlimited number of applications, but some Aero options are excluded along with several new features.

Windows 7 Home Premium

This edition contains features aimed at the home market segment, such as Windows Media Center, Windows Aero and touch-screen controls.

Windows 7 Professional

This edition is targeted toward enthusiasts and small business users. It includes all the features of Windows 7 Home Premium, and adds the ability to participate in a Windows Server domain. Additional features include operating as a Remote Desktop server, location aware printing, Encrypting File System, and Presentation Mode.

Windows 7 Enterprise

This edition targets the enterprise segment of the market and will be sold through volume licensing to companies which have Software Assurance contract with Microsoft.[13] Additional features include support for Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packages, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application-support. Not available through retail or OEM channels, this edition will be distributed through Microsoft Software Assurance (SA). As a result it includes several SA-only benefits, including a license allowing the running of multiple virtual machines, access to Virtual PC Express, and activation via VLK.

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 7 Ultimate contains the same features as Windows 7 Enterprise, but unlike that edition it will be available to home users on an individual license basis. Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional users will be able to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate for a fee using Windows Anytime Upgrade if they wish to do so. Unlike Windows Vista Ultimate, the Windows 7 Ultimate edition will not include the Windows Ultimate Extras feature or any exclusive features.

now, i know i'm not the only one who worshiped the beta and release candidates when they were available. anyone else out there have experience with this, or is planning on picking it up on day one like me?

via edge:

Just as a bump, amazon.com has windows 7 home premium up for preorder, 50 bucks. Card will not be charged till ship date, free shipping, plus this.

# Running Windows Vista?

# If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications) or an in -place upgrade (Windows 7 installs over Windows Vista).

# Running Earlier Versions?

# If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and reinstall your applications.

Home premium - http://astore.amazon.com/overclocked02-20/detail/B002DHLUWK (djp edit - OCR aStore!)

professional for 99 - http://astore.amazon.com/overclocked02-20/detail/B002DHGM50 (djp edit - OCR aStore!)

or the MS site - http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

HOLY CRAP!

The difference is that to consumers it's confusing and irritating. Buy the wrong version and you might cut out features that you needed/wanted, or you might buy more than you need. Again, this already happened with Vista, so there's absolutely no reason to expect that the exact same thing isn't going to happen. It's annoying. They should have, at most, two versions: Home and Professional.

What difference does it make? Buy the one you want and don't worry about the others.

Not to mention based on the first post, the different versions are available in specific formats;

Starter = dell/hp pcs (will always go for building my own so no thanks)

Home Basic = Not in the US

Home Premium = Win7 Home edition with Media Center

Win7 Prof = (in my eyes) Win XP with a few extra features

Win7 Enterprise = Win7 Ultimate except targeted to large companies

Win7 Ultimate = Win7 Enterprise except reversed to single license instead of large volume licensing

Basically... There's only 2 that ought to be focused on (imo) which is Windows 7 Professional and Windows Ultimate. Not that difficult unless one wants the media center edition (Win7 Premium)

Not to mention based on the first post, the different versions are available in specific formats;

Starter = dell/hp pcs (will always go for building my own so no thanks)

Home Basic = Not in the US

Home Premium = Win7 Home edition with Media Center

Win7 Prof = (in my eyes) Win XP with a few extra features

Win7 Enterprise = Win7 Ultimate except targeted to large companies

Win7 Ultimate = Win7 Enterprise except reversed to single license instead of large volume licensing

Basically... There's only 2 that ought to be focused on (imo) which is Windows 7 Professional and Windows Ultimate. Not that difficult unless one wants the media center edition (Win7 Premium)

this is a pretty good point. you look at that list and it scares you, but there's really only two major editions, pro and ultimate. enterprise is the volume-licensed version of ultimate and won't be used by consumers, home premium is the HTPC version of pro. the rest, we won't see on a computer (unless you're a business person or you actually buy PCs from dell or hp). not that complex, when you break it down.

there's still a silly number of licensed names for all that, though.

edit: it's also worth noting that the difference in price between the bottom (available in the us, home premium) and top (ultimate) is only going to be about a hundred dollars. so, based on that, the scale between each edition should only be 20-25$ difference.

So dell and hp computers will have starter? Hmm. I figured they would premium on some, cause I know the dell I have now has vista premium on it.

I'd imagine some will have premium but will advertise them as the "Windows 7 Media Center Edition" by retailers. Windows 7 Home Premium is very misleading as when i first saw it, I just thought of XP Home edition rather than something as powerful as Professional or Ultimate.

Sweet, this is awesome. I use the Release Candidate for my job (IT stuff) and so far it's the best Windows I've used to date. I liked Vista but it had that huge rocky period before SP 1 came out. I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever with the system yet. It runs games fine, it runs, 3D modeling software from years back. It runs every extremely well and actually more efficiently than previous versions. I can't wait to get the retail version for my home computer :).

As for the audio options somebody asked about; unfortunately they're just about the same as they are in Vista :( Sorry.

MS told me in an email that the RC will shut down every two hours March 10th, 2010...which means I will be using the free version of Windows 7 until then. I'm still running the beta (have to install the RC soon) and it's been rock solid for me, much more than Vista and even XP.

They should have, at most, two versions: Home and Professional.
Dissident detected. You have been reported to Microsoft. Incoming Cease and Desist.

Most people want basic Windows w/ Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. Microsoft knows this and will never give this combo to you without extra payment for Office. But they will throw in useless things like Encarta Encyclopedia. Hurray!

Wait, does that first post really offer 6 versions? With that many versions, I may as well force myself to get into Linux.

if you read anything in this thread, you'd know that some of those versions were for other countries, or for pre-built pcs from specific manufacturers, or designed for HTPCs, or specifically set up for business use.

which leaves two versions - pro and ultimate.

edit: just figured i'd spell it out. i know he was making a (bad) funny.

most computers won't even be able to handle it anyways. you've gotta have a vt-capable cpu, and only certain cpus are actually able to handle it - check your system specs. it's gotta allow for 'virtualization technology'.

it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be. your performance in xp will suck due to the simple nature that you're running two OSes at the same time.