VST, DirectX instruments and effects thread

DM Lee

I can't find a decent compressor to use on my mixes. I have found a couple (not many at all) at kvr-vst, but wasnt satisfied. If someone could link em to one specifically or a site with some good compressor/limiter/gating effects compatible with fruityloops, it would help greatly.

Generally I want to become more profficient in increasing the sonic range of my music and fill up the dead areas of my music for some of my future mixes where I plan on having massive synth/instrument mixes with upwards of ten to twenty sounds going at one time without destroying any sound levels.

Thanx a lot. I may turn this into a "VST Effect Request Thread" but only if I hear its an ok idea, otherwise no big deal.

You were were wrong! It's called Ambience, and can be found here

Hey look! There's a multi-band compressor on that page as well.

Thanx a lot, I downloaded it and will be testing it tonight.

I'm not familiar with multi band compression but I understand basic compression and obviously this will be a lot more flexible with compressing stuff.

I changed this to the effects request thread since everyones already asking for the stuff anyways.

I will try to help as well, since I started the thread. (I have been downloading a number of effects vst's lately, so I will be able to test them myself and be able to suggest them to others.)

Two links you'll ever need to know, and they're already in the "Compiled Links Guitde" thread (well... good if you can read, eh?!)

www.kvr-vst.com

www.databaseaudio.co.uk

If you can't find your VST/DX/AU/RTAS Plugin there, you won't find it anywhere. And if you're just too lazy to look and to test stuff (sorry DMLee, but KVR has a sticky with "What is the best for my mastering needs" in the effects section of their board!), then noone can help you either. That's the best places for your needs.

So... no stickyfication is needed!

(I'm so sick and tired of Spoon-Feeding - well... that just my humble opinion.)

And you think those are the only places on the net VSTs are available?

I've seen lots of VSTs mentioned on KVR's forums that aren't listed on the main site. The free compressor I mentioned isn't listed on either site you gave, for instance, and I have many more you won't find by searching those sites. I think, therefor, this thread is perfectly reasonable.

For some reason I thought you were after a multiband compressor. My bad.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-compressor.php

I haven't gotten round to even installing this yet but I've heard positive things about it. You might want to give it a try if you haven't already. The rest of their free stuff is found below:

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

have you used vst's before? (i mean have you ever had to go through the "add one/more... routine to get the vst to show up?)

If this is your first time doing so, then go to the fx area and go to add one like usual and if you dont see the ones you recently downloaded got o the top of the pop up menu where it says more, and then do fast scan or scan & verify or whatever they say.

Hope this is some help

In case it's not obvious, here's how it works:

The Effects list is separate from the Instruments list. They both have "More..." which shows you the list of plug-ins, but whichever you check off to be shown will only be shown in Effects if you accessed it from Effects, and only be shown in Instruments if you accessed it from Instruments.

QuadraSID is the best out there right now but it's gonna cost ya. Use Quantum 64 instead but I don't have a link. SimSynth can do a decent emulation of it to, just remember to keep the Band in the SVF a little over zero.

Yea, I was testing out the QuadraSID demo, but I couldn't figure out how to get the Sanxion lead to sound right, heh. There's the progressive lead (preset), but it has this annoying trill if you aren't playing the notes legato, which gets really annoying.

Yes, but it still has an (fluctuating?) wave. It doesn't keep a steady tone. It has that sound like it's resonating, and that's not quite the C64 sound I'm trying to capture. On another note, some of the other presets in QuadraSID are pretty good, but I think it's kind of odd to be shelling out 60 bucks for a 20 year old hardware emulator.