VST, DirectX instruments and effects thread

DM Lee

Here's an awesome synth that's specially made for obscure FX sounds, called Invader by e-phonic. It goes beyond most VST synths I've seen. You know those old generic video game sound bites from the arcades? You can recreate them here. Mess around with the presets, they're full of interesting chirps and warbles.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking for a wah-wah effect vst. Or can a wah-wah be made using a flagner/phaser or something along these lines.

A wah is basically an automated filter sweep, so you could just use a filter with an lfo or two right?

I'm not 100% sure, I don't have a ton of knowledge there.

A wah effect can be produced in multiple ways actually. The most effective, from my personal experience, is have an envelope adjusting the cutoff and reson, and you can even adjust the amp if you want the Wah to come out from no sound, or if you want sound that wahs through.

Basically work with your cut off envelope and get a decent wah sound then fiddle with the reson and amp a bit and the cutoff some more.

This method works for the type of wah sound I like...

An LFO is a Low Frequency Oscillator which means it will modulate the low frequencies at a defined rate. And the amount determines how low (and high) the frequency to be modulated is.

A wah effect can be produced in multiple ways actually. The most effective, from my personal experience, is have an envelope adjusting the cutoff and reson, and you can even adjust the amp if you want the Wah to come out from no sound, or if you want sound that wahs through.

Basically work with your cut off envelope and get a decent wah sound then fiddle with the reson and amp a bit and the cutoff some more.

No, an LFO does not modulate lower frequency sounds, or any sounds based on frequency. Ack. It means it oscillates at low frequencies, thereby useful in automating filter sweeps and stuff, as I described. So assign some LFO's to the cutoff, resonance and whatnot of a filter, play around with it a bit, and you get an automated version of the wah you just described.

I dont even remember saying that, lol...

I have been sick for a few days, i might have been out of it.

I would normally not try and describe the way an lfo works or what its purpose is. I understand it but I know I can't explain it... so my trying to was pointless and i really dont know what i tried for.

• 3 weeks later...

COPY FROM THREAD ABOUT ETHNIC VST'S...

You should probably be more specific than ethnic instruments... are you looking for percussive, pitched percussive, plucked, blown, bowed, etc?

If you want some plucked instrument sound you can get the slayer 2 vst which has a preset for a sitar which you can alter to get other similair instrument sounds from it. Its not the best for modeling guitar (well i guess its probably one of the best in the market, but its nothing compared to the real thing) but for other picked/plucked instruments you may find a good use for it. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/245.html

There is also a vst that is called plucked string which i have not used but may help you out, again for the same style of sound but it looks like it may be more effective than slayer since this looks to model acoustic rather than electric which has a completely different timber. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/129.html

Wow, I just now found this and actually I may shell out the money for this myself soon. It is called smart flute and samples from "indian flute", pan flute, piccolo, "Shakahuchi", and flute tong which i have actually never heard of but sounds ethnic. This obviously makes use of ethnic flutes so it may be worth your checking out. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/587.html

You may get some ethnic orchestral strings out of this with some tweaking but either way I loved this vst when I used to use it myself. From what I remember the vst can get rather loud in DB without actually sounding very loud (but this was way back when i really sucked at synthesis so I probably was just fucking up). When i had good sounds they were really good. Modeled only for strings. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/177.html

(copied from kvr-vst) Culture contains over 9GB (2 DVDs) of authentic, highly-optimised sounds of world, ethno, industrial and orchestral percussion. Included are instruments from all over the world, with nearly every sound detail, which help make Culture sound so incredibly real. In order to achieve such a high level of authenticity, the instruments were recorded with nearly all playing techniques, for example, a djembe contains: bass tones, closed, half closed, half open, open, damped, fingered, flams, rolls, ghosts, drags, ... nearly all instruments with 16 velocity splits for left AND right hand. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/325.html

(again copied from kvr-vst, but I used to use this synth and I had so much fun with it. Seriously one of the FUNNEST synths out there IMO. Great in happy hardcore :D ) Delay Lama is a VSTi for Mac & PC that makes your computer sound and look like a singing Tibetan monk. Delay Lama is the first software synthesizer that features both vocal synthesis and a real-time 3D animated interface, which dynamically reacts to musical gestures from the user. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/226.html

(This sounds perfect for you, just wish I could try a demo to see how this sounds... again copied from kvr-vst) Ethnosphere comes with over 300 pristine quality sound banks and includes several kinds of Buzouki, Sitar, Koto Shamisen, Santur, Dulcimer, Psaltry, Harp, Zither, Saz, Mandolin, Banjo, Guitar, Pipe, Ethnic Orchestral Ensemble, Accordion, Musette as well as tons of percussion instruments and loops. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/489.html

Mutant koto here: http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/1071.html

(again, kvr says it best, and this sounds like it could very well be worth the moeny... its too bad im a cheap bastard) A wonderful and unique sample library for everyone who would like to discover the rich sounds of the South Pacific and use them in their music. The library was produced by Airileke ('Airi') Ingram who recorded a host of indigenous instruments. There are also village ambience tracks from Airi's village Gabagaba in Central Province of Papua New Guinea and Munum village in the Morobe Province, and spoken and chanted vocals. Most of the instruments in this CD come from Papua New Guinea ('PNG'), a nation in the western region of the South Pacific Ocean, to the north of Australia. It is one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world with over 800 languages and over 3000 dialects. http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/478.html

I have looked at well over 70 vst's and I did skip a lot that the name suggested it was non-ethnic or purely synth so if there is anything I might have mised sorry, but this hsould definately give you some ideas or starting points.

I am going to copy this into the vst thread so that this post does not end up lost as I put a good hours work into finding this all out, and I also want to keep a lot of these in mind for myself in the future.

I hope this helps and everyone should check most of these out

If anyone has any experience with these let me know so i dont waist my money soon because i am very interested in some of these that cost.

I really like the feel of egokiller for old school sounds.

Like so > ftp://66.221.70.133/u.b.b./synth_demos/egokillernewdemo.mp3

I have made a lot of old school synths while messing around with egokiller.

I rarely use oldschool stuff so I dont have any other samples, but if you want old school bass patches you can work something out with this and its fairly user friendly. Not too much to control but enough to make it versatile.

And yeah, fm7 is what everyone says for old school shit, so take zircons advice.

yeah, i think it was beatdrop who mentioned mutant koto in the original thread where the guy asked for ethnic vst's. He didnt have the link so I just found it and threw it in the post.

I am pretty sure he mentioned mutagene making it too.

I think analoq should make some vst's. He seems to be "one of" the most knowledgable people on the site when it comes to synthesis.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's an odd one: does anyone know of a VST frequency shifter? Not a pitch shifter, a frequency shifter. That is, something that moves all frequency in a signal up or down by the same number of hertz, as opposed to multiplying or dividing the frequencies. In other words, a pitch shifter maintains harmonic relationships, whereas frequency shifters don't.
I guess you could use Goldwave's Expression Evaluator, although you'd have to learn to use it first. I'm not really sure what it's capable of, but still a handy tool.

Say you have two notes holding, an A (220 hertz) and the A above it (440 hertz). You adjust the fine tuning dial up a bit, and say it brings the higher note up to A# (476ish hertz?). Like Robocop said, pitch shifters and tuners etc. multiply/divide frequencies and maintains harmonic relationships. So assuming the upper note goes from 440 to 476 hertz, the lower note goes from 220 hertz to 238 hertz, an increase of only half as many hertz.

Robocop's asking for something that will raise everything by the same amount of hertz, not proportionally, but absolutely.

So no, a fine tuner doesn't do that (unless by fine tuner you're referring to something other than the dial found in lots of VSTi's and such which changes the pitch and is measured in cents).

Are you asking for something that takes a harmonic from a signal and shifts it, ~?

Edit - oh.

Ok, hm, that would be an odd thing to calculate as you you would need to break down the fourier series of the signal and then process it from there. It might work if you used a vocoder kind of setup but I'm sure you'd be wanting something with at least a minimum of 4,096 bands in it to do a decent job.