VST, DirectX instruments and effects thread

DM Lee

I think you can only get the CM or FM plugs from the actual magazine, or something =(.

Anyway, mda JX10 rocks =D. It's got this really, really nice analog sound. You wouldn't think it would be very versatile, since it only has one waveform, but it can do quite a lot of things, and takes up barely any CPU. The sound is just silky smooth... it has no GUI, but still, I highly recommend it =). It does for analog and round what Synth1 does for digital and thin: high quality, useable sound.

Well, I wont be able to do much for this thread for a couple of weeks... I lost everything on my computer due to it crashing...

Sigh....

I lost about 50 vsti's and 25 vst effects (about half of them I had even had the chance to use yet fully yet).

I have to re install windows, but when I get everything back up I am going to comment on as many things as I can when I download them.

I will definately be getting the classic stuff again though, but other than that I will probably focus on downloading vst instruments, so expect lots of reviews of those when I get the chance.

Hopefully by that time there are a ton of suggestions on synths to try out and effects.

I do more than use presets since if you rely on presets you will be very lacking in what the vsts can really do.

While I tend to steer away from using only preset sounds, I at least want to know what a synth/effect is capable of without having to spend my time figuring out how to use it first. If I scroll through the presets and I like them, I'm more likely to continue using the thing. Synths or effects that are difficult to get decent sounds out of will see much less usage from me (although there is the odd occassion when they're called for). On professional levels, good presets can mean the difference between a fortune and a flop. Of course, like you said, if you only use presets, you'll never hear the whole potential of the VST or DX, but for the early stages of using it, presets are useful simply for growing into it.

This is one of the reasons I don't like using soundfonts much; their scope of editability is extremely limiting. The only times I'll use one is when there isn't a synth equivalent of it that sounds good.

I think you can only get the CM or FM plugs from the actual magazine, or something =(.

Yeah, I was just hoping someone else read the mag too, and that they might have the plugin from it. It probably won't be too much of a hassle getting the back issue, though, since I can buy it for roughly the same price as a new issue :P

Edit: Sorry to hear about that, DM. I hope you can build up your collection again.

• 3 weeks later...

Try Vanguard from www.refx.net

I have grown quite fond of it. What makes it different from other synthesizers is that it has a shitload of waveforms available on 3 oscillators, huge selection of filters, and a built-in arpeggiator and gater. It's very inspirational, you can quickly set up the arpeggiator along with the gater, and just play some random chords till you come up with something you like.

http://www.tweakbench.com/instruments.php

Havent tested these much, but found the site through kvr, seems pretty decent, cant wait to use the peach synth and defender :D

I've used Tapeworm in a couple of my tracks - while I don't know how accurate a Mellotron emulator it is, it's got an interesting unrealistic sound which I kinda dig. I've used Monomate a few times, too, it makes a nice bass synth with a bit of 303 squelch in there.

The Peach and Toad synths are pure NES synth emulators, although I would have liked it more if the waveform section was more customizable. Haven't tried the Defend synth, though.

Try Vanguard from www.refx.net

I have grown quite fond of it. What makes it different from other synthesizers is that it has a shitload of waveforms available on 3 oscillators, huge selection of filters, and a built-in arpeggiator and gater. It's very inspirational, you can quickly set up the arpeggiator along with the gater, and just play some random chords till you come up with something you like.

This thing has to get an award for the best presets ever or something lol.

I cant afford to buy this right now but i want to. The demo version cuts the volume randomly and after a while cuts it completely :(

You can still mess with all the knobs, you just have to do it through the event editor, you cant actually see the knobs.

I would suggest this to anyone who use presets in their music a lot.

I rarely ever use the presets, it's easy enough to program from scratch.

Do you have the demo or the full version?

The demo version, everything has to be set by editing all the events (the image of the synth is only the top portion where you see the presets name.) You have to use the little fruit in the top left corner to edit anything.

Maybe I need to redownload it or something because when i click edit it opens the window bigger, but all it shows is just a big gray window and what I could already see. The same thing happens with the button below edit (dont remember the name) It looks like it would show all the wire connections on the virtual back of the synth.

I'll try redownloading and re installing.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone knows a vst or soundfound that can emulate something like the synths used in the Malice Mizer and Moi Dix Mois songs (more precisely, the intro to Front Et Baiser (by M10M)

i looked into a lot of synths (but not all in this page, no time to check them all, sorry) and nothing have that sound when doing arpeggios (clean and fast sounding)... so, if anyone can shed a light here, it would be good..

thanks in advance.. ^^

does anyone else have the crystal synth? its awsome and free...

it gets a little confusing but once you tweak and play with it a while its amazing! and the presets are awsome too. IMO the best vst synth on kvr-vst is the crystal synth.

Yeah, it's excellent for a freebie. Future Music magazine even considers it a rival to most commercial soft synths. I find it confusing to program, though (never really bothered to learn).

Anyone know a free 303 VST that sounds good?

A TB303 emulator? There's some that come close. ReFX's Claw is one of my favourites. Tau's not too bad, either. I've heard good things about the Tau Bassline Mk2, although it isn't free (but then, it's not very expensive, either. Some 303 emulators are much more expensive).