Anime

One fairly-recent title missing from that list is Time of Eve, a six-part ONA later compiled into a movie that added a few more scenes. It's a fantastic little look at a near-future setting with androids that can pass as humans, and contains a boat-load of references to Asimov and the Three Laws.

wat.

I'm admittedly biased by being a huge Gundam nerd, so I don't look at it the same was as the average anime watcher, but I couldn't stand the Gundam 00 movie. Nevermind the fact that adding aliens to Gundam removes one of the major things that makes the franchise unique (if I wanted my giant robots to fight aliens, I'd be watching Macross); the movie was 75% metal blobs chasing things around, 20% beamspam, and 5% not-suck. And that's not even bringing up the plot holes. If the metal blobs learn things by assimilating them, then wouldn't they assimilate a person or two, go "oh, shit, people don't like it when you assimilate them" and stop? Apparently not.

But yeah. Even as a Gundam fan, someone who really wanted to enjoy it, I couldn't bring myself to think that the Gundam 00 movie was anything but shitty.

I won't lie, those points are all true and when I watched the movie I expected to be horribly disappointed by it based on the flak it had recieved from most Gundam fans.

But despite this, the film brought a refreshing change to the usual Gundam fare - I personally have never been one of those people to go "OMG THEY CHANGED SOMETHING FUNDAMENTAL IN THE GUNDAM FORMULA". The Gundam 00 movie had very few of the things that make a Gundam series... well Gundam, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad film.

One of the things it does take from the Gundam franchise is beamspam; you can't deny that beamspam is rampant in pretty much any Gundam series, so I can't say I judge the film on that.

The story was a little on the wobbly side, I won't deny that, but at the end of the day, it was an action film and that's pretty much what I enjoyed it for. Sometimes it can be entertaining to watch something for more than just the story. I don't think it deserves to be judged based on it's lack of adherence to Gundam tropes.

I don't think there were really any major plotholes though, spoilers aside, Setsuna was different to normal humans, I doubt the same rules apply. It wouldn't be a stretch to believe that in assimilating a normal human they might not learn everything.

No, it wasn't the best movie ever, but it was still entertaining to watch.

Going back as far as the beginning of 2009, the anime I legitimately enjoyed and fully endorse (also includes a few films and ovas). Anything in bold means that not watching it is unacceptable.

Whew, I've got at least half of those knocked out. Definitely agree with the mention of DRRR!! and Angel Beats (though my 1ep attempt to rewatch it on Netflix with the English dub MADE MY EARS BLEED! DRR!! dub is really good though from the little I've heard.) I'd forgotten about those.

On a side note, one of my brother's good friends is one of the minor VAs for Squid Girl. That was interesting, even though from what I've seen I'd consider the series average.

I won't lie, those points are all true and when I watched the movie I expected to be horribly disappointed by it based on the flak it had recieved from most Gundam fans.

But despite this, the film brought a refreshing change to the usual Gundam fare - I personally have never been one of those people to go "OMG THEY CHANGED SOMETHING FUNDAMENTAL IN THE GUNDAM FORMULA". The Gundam 00 movie had very few of the things that make a Gundam series... well Gundam, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad film.

One of the things it does take from the Gundam franchise is beamspam; you can't deny that beamspam is rampant in pretty much any Gundam series, so I can't say I judge the film on that.

The story was a little on the wobbly side, I won't deny that, but at the end of the day, it was an action film and that's pretty much what I enjoyed it for. Sometimes it can be entertaining to watch something for more than just the story. I don't think it deserves to be judged based on it's lack of adherence to Gundam tropes.

I don't think there were really any major plotholes though, spoilers aside, Setsuna was different to normal humans, I doubt the same rules apply. It wouldn't be a stretch to believe that in assimilating a normal human they might not learn everything.

No, it wasn't the best movie ever, but it was still entertaining to watch.

Yeah, you don't get Gundam. Gundam isn't about beamspam and cool mech fights, it's about humans fighting wars with humans and how people on both sides aren't all good or all bad. You throw aliens into the mix and that suddenly all goes out the window. And I don't want to watch it anymore because I don't relate to the emotional problems of aliens.

Gundam in a nutshell:

Edited by Avatar of Justice

Yeah, you don't get Gundam. Gundam isn't about beamspam and cool mech fights, it's about humans fighting wars with humans and how people on both sides aren't all good or all bad. You throw aliens into the mix and that suddenly all goes out the window. And I don't want to watch it anymore because I don't relate to the emotional problems of aliens.

Gundam in a nutshell:

So basically what you're saying is Gundam should never try a different angle and should always run a very similar plot over and over again? You're judging it purely based on the fact it decided to differ from the standard Gundam fare?

I "don't get Gundam" because I liked the fact that it decided to explore a different side of humanity for once? The ability for conflicting factions to unite to face off against a greater threat isn't something Gundam should be allowed to explore?

Speaking of Macross, you guys should check out the Hong Kong Toho dub of Super Dimension Space Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?

It's pretty damn hilarious:

It makes the mess of a OVA very watchable.

WE

MUST

NOT

ALLOW

THE

WOMAN

TO

PENETRATE!

It also has that great glossy look to it that bespeaks to those old awesome mech anime.

As one Gundam fan to another, you should have taken the terrible second season of Gundam 00 as a warning that they were gonna ruin the movie.

Oh, I was fully expecting the movie to be terrible, despite really hoping otherwise. I actually enjoyed Gundam 00's second season (despite the complete 180 it did compared to the first season), but I didn't expect the whole "dialoges to come" thing to lead anywhere good.

The Gundam 00 movie had very few of the things that make a Gundam series... well Gundam, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad film.

Oh, I agree entirely. I hate it when people call something bad for not fitting in with the rest of its franchise (G Gundam gets some of this treatment, for example, and G Gundam is fucking awesome) -- but I thought the Gundam 00 movie sucked on its own merits in addition to jettisoning most of what I like most about Gundam.

Gundam in a nutshell:

I was sorely disappointed that that link didn't lead to

• 2 weeks later...
Despite hating anime, since I am a big fan of the comics (still read them to this day) I am forcing myself to endure the anime interpretation of, "Witchblade"

God damn that theme song is just terrible.

I'm finding myself reading Korean ones a lot. Tower of God is looking really promising, for one. Things like this make me wish I knew Korean or Japanese....

I'm finding myself reading Korean ones a lot. Tower of God is looking really promising, for one. Things like this make me wish I knew Korean or Japanese....

Comics? Not much of a "manga" fan, but I'm all about American comic books. They're the only thing I really love that's American aside from Newport Beach, New York Pizza and Vegas show girls.

Them Yankees also make pretty killer cheeseburgers. Every time I've ate a Cheeseburger in the USA, it was always the best burger ever.

Edited by AngelCityOutlaw

One fairly-recent title missing from that list is Time of Eve, a six-part ONA later compiled into a movie that added a few more scenes. It's a fantastic little look at a near-future setting with androids that can pass as humans, and contains a boat-load of references to Asimov and the Three Laws.

Oh nice, I wasn't aware that they added some scenes and made a movie out of it, I'll have to check it out again. The whole concept is very intriguing, and the cinematography and production were very high quality.

Thanks for sharing :)

Really only lurk these forums anymore, but I figured I come into this thread to talk about some anime. Every now and then I get the urge to watch some and end up on a huge anime kick. Just recently I watched a new show that I really, really enjoyed. Not sure if it's been mentioned here or not, but the Tatami Galaxy is incredible.

It's pretty much what the Endless 8 plot arch in season 2 of Haruhi could have been if put into the capable hands of a creative genius. The art style and story are both very experimental and intelligent, so if you like watching good things, watch the tatami galaxy.

I've also been watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Missed it when it first came out and I had never been able to watch much of the original show, and am pretty impressed. Another one I started is Serial Experiments Lain. Lain is great if you want a story that's a bit deeper and thought provoking.

Edited by Zombie
Sounded like I was trying to explain to a school teacher what anime I was watching. What a dork.

• 2 weeks later...

This one's only been mentioned once in this thread, so I really, really have to give my most earnest recommendation for the show I just finished a minute ago:

Nichijou (aka My Ordinary Life)

It is a slice-of-life comedy, but one that introduces bizarre situations and treats them as ordinary as can be, and then the very next instant takes a completely ordinary occurrence and ramps up the energy until any semblance of realism is blown to pieces.

At its core, the show is the very definition of a vignette series. It's an episodic show with each episode a series of episodic scenes. You won't find much in the way of "plot" in Nichijou. What you will find, however, is a show that uses its episodic nature to play up the comedy and give chaos to organization. The scenes are often broken up by random, very short sequences that have nothing to do with what was previously occurring, and then it throws you right back. It's used very effectively for comedic timing, and to give you a breather after a particularly long or intense sequence.

The animation and voice acting is done superbly. Many of the jokes may have fallen completely flat had the production value not been as good, and the voices given to the characters does everything to bring them and their relationships to life. An absurd life, but one that is adorable at times. Combined, these aspects allow the relatively simplistic-to-a-fault comedy of the show to shine.

When watching Nichijou, it wasn't until the 7th episode that it finally hooked me. Not because of any fault with the show, but because I expected a little more cohesiveness, some sort of overarching plot of some sort. Once I realized the true nature of the Nichijou, I could finally enjoy it for what it is. It was made to entertain in the most simplistically ideal manner possible, and it achieves that spectacularly. Take it all as it comes, nothing more or less. That is the state of mind it wants you to be in.

I ended up in an almost perpetual state of grinning and giggling like an idiot throughout my viewing of each episode; this is the first time anything has ever done that to me, in any medium. While it won't appeal to absolutely everybody, if you're looking for some quality, simple comedy, look no further.

• 2 weeks later...