Anime

Kill Me Baby ED ( キルミーベイベー)

I find the ending addicting. The opening's horrible, though. I think it's a pretty funny anime so far, although the animation isn't the highest quality.It sort of surprised me when I found out this was a full episode length, too, considering its four panel nature. I know it's been done (Lucky Star :smile:), but this one seems it would have done better split up a bit more.

Again, don't bother with the opening.

Edited by GravitySuitCollector

Kill Me Baby ED ( キルミーベイベー)

I find the ending addicting. The opening's horrible, though. I think it's a pretty funny anime so far, although the animation isn't the highest quality.It sort of surprised me when I found out this was a full episode length, too, considering its four panel nature. I know it's been done (Lucky Star :smile:), but this one seems it would have done better split up a bit more.

Again, don't bother with the opening.

This season seems to be pretty bad for OPs, most of them are pretty terrible.

In complete opposition to what I just said, I declare the best OP/ED of this season to be:

Momoiro Clover Z - Mugen no AI (Moretsu Pirates OP)

Ignoring the often abysmal vocals of course... but that tends to be fairly normal nowdays.

Epic song, yet overrated Evangelion is not.

agree.

to call it "plain stupid" is to spit in the face of all the imagery, themes, and philosophy they somehow crammed into 26 episodes of depression. it's a turning-point work in anime, and a must-watch for anyone interested in existentialism in anime.

I think the hate towards Evangelion is based upon one key issue.

Yes, lots of mecha shows existed before and after. But here's the big thing that makes Evangelion stand out: instead of a natural-born pilot or leader (or for that matter, the over-used "I'm going to beat you to show you the truth" bullshit that was so favored at the time), you have a child forced into piloting an alien... thing, and told to save the planet or else everyone is going to die horribly. No pressure, right?

Suddenly, we don't get the over-used "I'm a hero" lead character, and instead we see what might be the most realistic portrayal of a human being in that type of situation: he can't handle it.

Shinji is every teenage boy from a broken family. He was fucked up before, and the whole angels thing isn't helping things. Yes, he is totally a whiner and needs a good slapping/fucking from any one of the women in the show. But what the fuck do you expect? He's a goddamn child. His asshole father lied to him about everything he knows, he's been emotionally blackmailed into to piloting an alien being, the government has forced him to face horrific fights against beings that would make any normal person shit their pants, and then Shinji had to deal with it all on his own because he's too fucked up to realize he needs the support of others.

But people were (and still are) used to the archetype of the awesome guy that can do everything awesomely and overcome all the obstacles that his enemies throw at him, even if he stumbles sometimes. You see this in Naruto, Bleach, One Piece... hell, even outside of shonen manga and anime, you have the same archetype used for main characters in just about anything. Shoujo likes to have the determined young girl that manages to express her feelings for the guy; harem anime has the male eventually deciding on the girl he likes, and all the trials of the past are resolved. Think of any show you know of, and think about how the main characters eventually wins the day.

Evangelion doesn't do that. It shows what people are like facing almost certain doom daily. You see the cracks in their facades and what they do to cope with it. It's nice and comforting to see fictional characters be strong and resolute. It makes us think that we would be the same in their situation. So when we see Shinji freaking out because of all the traumatic and terrifying things he's had to deal with, we don't like it because it reminds us that we're more likely to act the same way.

It's something that most people don't like to acknowledge. We're not instinctively brave. We're hardwired to do what gives us the best chance of survival. Often, that means running, hiding or just not dealing with it.

Basically, we have a terrible double-standard for the show: anime is supposed to be about cool awesomeness. But let one specific kid in one specific series fall apart because that's what people do when they're overwhelmed beyond rationality, and that character and/or show sucks.

A really smart analysis of why Eva is cool

Eva is a deconstruction of the monster of the week mecha show. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Deconstruction

Basically it is a response to the tired formula. It makes no sense without taking that into consideration. It's like how Final Fantasy VII is a deconstruction of the RPG formula of a hero on a quest pursuing a bad guy. It is no coincidence FFVII came out within a year of Eva.

Basically, we have a terrible double-standard for the show: anime is supposed to be about cool awesomeness. But let one specific kid in one specific series fall apart because that's what people do when they're overwhelmed beyond rationality, and that character and/or show sucks.

Speaking of double standards - by your logic you should be much more understanding to these viewers. They are just children too. :P

I have still yet to see Eva. I don't know to be ashamed of that or not.

Thank you The Damned for this post.

It irritates me to no end how everyone is so quick to dismiss/hate a character or a show just because of a little complaining or emotional difficulties. It's like forbidden to show any emotion except anger if you are a male character in anime or games otherwise an angry mob will just call you emo.

It happened with Hope in Final XIII, Sasuke in Naruto and others.

Honestly, I think, to a certain extent, Eva suffers from this:

Warning. TVTropes link.

We see so many protagonists in anime these days who are, to an extent, similar to Shinji. It's basically reached the point where whenever an anime pops up with a slightly emo protagonist, everyone sighs and turns away.

Eva was and is an awesome anime, but newer viewers might suffer from "Oh no, one of THESE guys again."

I still dislike Hope though. See, Shinji takes his angst and pilots a giant robot. He actually does his job despite everything. Hope just whines about revenge and then fails to act on it.

A really smart analysis of why Eva is cool
Thank you The Damned for this post.

Thank you for the comments. I don't get many of those.

Usually it's all "jesus fuckin christ, would you SHUT UP ABOUT POKEMAN ALREADY!?$" or the occasional "I always suspected you were a closet (insert topical phrase here)".

Speaking of double standards - by your logic you should be much more understanding to these viewers. They are just children too. :P

FUCK YOU.

I have still yet to see Eva. I don't know to be ashamed of that or not.

Even as a proponent of trying out shows, I have to admit that Evangelion is not for everyone. If you like, say, Escaflowne, you may not like Evangelion. They may be in the same genre, even the same sub-set of said genre, but they are different shows. I have no issue with someone being unable to get into it, only issue with outright dismissive attitudes.

Honestly, I think, to a certain extent, Eva suffers from this:

Warning. TVTropes link.

Eva was and is an awesome anime, but newer viewers might suffer from "Oh no, one of THESE guys again."

My original post was actually a three-part break-down about why people hate on Evangelion. The first was older fans that have gotten tired of the various "tropes" that Evangelion has spawned over the years, and the adherence of modern shows that adopt them.

The second part was newer/younger fans that "discovered" anime and have a superiority complex about themselves by way of it, covering what you managed to shrink down to a single line.

So, +1 internets to you for brevity?

I tried watching Evangelion first like ten years ago, there was just so much hype around it that I just had to check it out. It was a little slow, but what turned me off was not the pace, or the giant robots (I don't like mecha in general, well, maybe original Robotech was ok), or Shinji's character - it was the pointless usage of judeo-christian symbolism. Originally, I thought that it would be integrated into the story in some clever way, but it had no point whatsoever, and I found that distracting. Coincidentally, this is the same reason why I didn't enjoy Xenosaga and quit playing the first one half-way through.

I agree completely. This is an amazingly succinct explanation of why Evangelion is not entertaining. It may be realistic psychology, but I'm watching a goddamn giant robot cartoon -- realism can and should take a step back to entertainment value. You know why the idealized hero -- the guy who overcomes all obstacles before them and, at the end of the day, saves the world and gets the girl -- is popular? Because it's fun. Shinji is not fun. Evangelion did something new and different -- props to them for that. But that, by itself, doesn't make it good.

the pointless usage of judeo-christian symbolism. Originally, I thought that it would be integrated into the story in some clever way, but it had no point whatsoever

Also this. Eva spends a lot of screen time on bullshit that has nothing to do with anything and serves no purpose except to confuse people into thinking it has meaning.

I will say that Eva has amazing fight scenes -- when it finally gets around to them, at least. So it wasn't all bad.

So I watched this

spice_wolf_covers1.jpg

I thought I would get this

72219-spice_super.png

But instead I got this:

tcb_print_cvrs_ecomomics.gif

Anyone else get want to share their story of how they got fooled? Preferably in this format, because it's more fun.

The first thing still happens, and I'm reading through the light novels now, but yeah they'd might as well call it "Wolf and Emergent Markets" with all the shop being talked. Still, it's definitely a nice anime/manga/novel series.

For me it was Tsukihime, and I thought I was getting this:

shingetsutan-lancuchy-tsukihime.jpeg,

But instead I got this:

51MDaBlkYDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg&sa=X&ei=QA0WT7ihFYjAtwea7tHjCw&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGQTN8VsUQDsYeocpS0ZnO4JSczRQ.

Still fun to watch, but yeah.

Alright, so when I went to the ISU anime club, in 4 weeks going I became the Club Secretary (I work with the website.) I've done it for a semester and for the new semester I planed with the rest of the presidency for what we were going to watch for anime. In that meeting I realized I had watched a paltry amount of anime's.

So if you guys have any suggestions that would be awesome. I will say some of my favorites are Gurren Lagann and Darker than Black (One for being serious, the other because it is anything but.) I know most of the general, popular animes and have watched some of them (Soul Eater, Death Note, Bleach) and even some I've gotten from looking at this fourm (Whoever recommended Katanagatari thanks!) So any recommendations for some good lesser known or cult classic animes would be awesome!

Oh, and the anime's that I'm currently watching (got a few trying to catch up to others): Chaos;Head, Deadman Wonderland, S-Cry-Ed (Haven't started that one), Mahou Shujo Madoka Magica, and the last season of Yu Yu Hakusho (Remembered that as a kid) And thanks again for helping.

Oh and while we are on Eva, I would like to say I watched that, and I would say I was new to anime when I watched it, I really liked the show. I actually did not find shinji 'emo' or anything like that. I will say that the last few episodes certanly what I expected, but I liked the last 20 so I didn't complain. If I found the past 20 episodes fun but didn't enjoy the last few why should I complain?

Oh and that was a great explanation on eva The Damned.

Edited by Unstable Hamster

well since we're talking about classic animes I'm still slowly working through a list of them

right now I'm watching Nadia and enjoying it a great deal

what list might that be

also i'm chugging through FMA brotherhood for the second time and man it is good. the animation is some of the best i've seen in the fighting.

its also cool to see people watching deadman its a sweet show. the first half was better than the second half but definitely above average overall

S-Cry-Ed

I found Scryed to be an odd show, actually. It's supposed to be your usual shonen action flick with all the usual tropes... but in the end, it felt kind of underdone in its execution.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Oh and that was a great explanation on eva The Damned.

PRAISE ME. PRAISE ME MORE. IT FEEDS ME.