Anime

Since we are talking anime, did people here see 5 cms per second? What did you think?

I think 5 cms/second was probably a really good movie, but it just...it made me feel really bad. I was in kind of a weird funk the whole next day after I watched it. I don't really know a better way to describe it.

The Placed Promised in our Early Days was, however, really enjoyable for me. (same director).

I DON'T LIKE COMBOY BOPOP BECUS JASS AND IT NO HAV STORY IN ALL EPISOEDS FROM 1 TO NEXT. NEEDS BETER CHARCTERS AND LESS JASS.

Totally understandable.

The funny thing is, I remember when a member of the old local anime club interviewed three people (one was a jazz musician, one was an instructor, and the third was a music historian at the university) about the music in Cowboy Bebop and all three said "that's some decent music, but it isn't jazz" and then went on to pan all the music as being fluff, soulless, the work of commercial musicians and had no contribution to jazz music at all.

Needless to say, the comments consisted of "well, just because these guys base their livings around jazz and they said it wasn't, doesn't mean that IT ISN'T JAZZ AND FUCK THEM".

I wonder if I can find that article...

Edited by The Damned

My brother was in the jazz band in school. He also played classical piano and hearing him practice every day was unbearable. Especially since he wasn't a fast learner and I would hear his mistakes all the time, over and over again. I just got sick of it.

Cowboy Bebop has nothing to do with bebop.

Or jazz music.

All this Cowboy Bebop talk has made me resolve to rewatch it!

Need to finish Dennou Coil first though - one of those anime that I'd never gotten around to watching before. It's pretty good - I love the setting and concepts, though I'm not the biggest fan of most of the characters. The story has been riveting so far too, and nicely interspaced with some slice of life deviations to flesh out characters and ideas.

Better than a lot of what I've watched recently, that's for sure.

The soundtrack does though, and I think that's part of the reason why he can't get into it.

anyone who thinks the music in cowboy bebop is jazz doesn't know anything about jazz music

that's not to say that cowboy bebop doesn't have great music, because it does

I think 5 cms/second was probably a really good movie, but it just...it made me feel really bad. I was in kind of a weird funk the whole next day after I watched it. I don't really know a better way to describe it.

The Placed Promised in our Early Days was, however, really enjoyable for me. (same director).

Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out.

5 cms per second was a bit depressing, but that is what made it stand out. Kind of a real life take on what happens to pure childhood feelings and dreams.

How about Aoi Bungaku? Anyone seen that? I was blown away, especially by Hellscreen. It definitely isn't everyone's cup of tea though...

Ed is annoying, Fey is evil, and Spike is emotionless. At least in Outlaw star, the world was richer, and there was a bigger storyline that tied in the whole series together. Bebop on the other hand, is a list of stand alone stories that don't mean anything the next episode.

Okay.

You clearly didn't watch the whole series.

The thing about Bebop is, yes, they are all stand alone stories but it is the character's back stories that ties them together.

If you watch the whole thing it becomes readily apparent why Spike and the crew are the way they are and how and why they interact with each other.

Also, just finished watching Ghost Hound. Not bad at all.

I love a good mystery and the horror/ghost ascetic is pretty cool.

Would love to see more like it if you guys have any suggestions.

Edited by Zeklan

all three said "that's some decent music, but it isn't jazz" and then went on to pan all the music as being fluff, soulless, the work of commercial musicians and had no contribution to jazz music at all.

Needless to say, the comments consisted of "well, just because these guys base their livings around jazz and they said it wasn't, doesn't mean that IT ISN'T JAZZ AND FUCK THEM".

Its true, though. Just because a Jazz Musician, a historian, and a student say bebop isn't jazz doesn't make it so. Did this Jazz musician represent all jazz musicians in the world? Did all Musicians agree that he would speak for all? Did he single-handedly create the genre?

My guess is no. Don't get me wrong, his opinion is valued slightly more. But at the same time, musicians themselves disagree with each other.

So yeah. IT IS Opinion, after all. I don't know how Bebop doesn't have Jazz, but lol okay.

and Champloo does have rap on it.

Finally watched Akira today. There's something so very visceral about a lot of these older traditionally animated animations that just doesn't seem to happen in newer stuff; I love it.

Man, I wish I had more access to anime back in the 80s and early 90s before it started getting more digital looking. I love just about all anime that comes my way, but I get something oddly... religious... watching anime, particularly like STEREOTYPICAL anime, from the era of AKIRA, IRIA, Wrath of the Ninja, Project A-ko, Toward the Terra and the lot.

It almost feels like my destiny to absorb any and all of the anime from that era to the point where I'm not greatly proud admitting it in public. I don't understand it but I understand your viewpoint here and I couldn't agree more.

80s-early 90s OVAs are some of the best anime out there, if only for sheer entertainment factor.

They really ratchet up the crazy and fun.

Watch something like ORGUSS 02, MD Geist, Mad Bull 34, or Tank Police and try to say different.

Edited by EC2151

Man, I wish I had more access to anime back in the 80s and early 90s before it started getting more digital looking. I love just about all anime that comes my way, but I get something oddly... religious... watching anime, particularly like STEREOTYPICAL anime, from the era of AKIRA, IRIA, Wrath of the Ninja, Project A-ko, Toward the Terra and the lot.

It almost feels like my destiny to absorb any and all of the anime from that era to the point where I'm not greatly proud admitting it in public. I don't understand it but I understand your viewpoint here and I couldn't agree more.

Should add Macross to that list!

On an unrelated note, I finished Dennou Coil, which was pretty awesome. Great setting, story and themes. Some of the characters were kind of meh though. Overall I really enjoyed it though.

Somehow stumbled into Noein next instead of rewatching Cowboy Bebop. Not entirely sure how that came about.

I was totally into anime during that era (actually the stuff was always late coming over Stateside), but completely stopped watching it after it went digital. Maybe I grew out of it, or maybe I just love hand-drawn/colored animation the best. When I go back and watch some old series out of boredom or nostalgia I always end up enjoying it a lot more than anything I happen to see these days.

Some my favorites back in the day were Ninja Scroll, Gunsmith Cats, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Slayers, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

I was totally into anime during that era (actually the stuff was always late coming over Stateside), but completely stopped watching it after it went digital. Maybe I grew out of it, or maybe I just love hand-drawn/colored animation the best. When I go back and watch some old series out of boredom or nostalgia I always end up enjoying it a lot more than anything I happen to see these days.

Some my favorites back in the day were Ninja Scroll, Gunsmith Cats, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, Slayers, Ghost in the Shell, etc.

Naturally aesthetic preference is important and I totally agree about hand drawn being nicer/more expressive at times, but I think it has to do with the general state of modern media; It's become far too commercialized and derivative in my opinion. Granted there's the good series popping up here and there, but nothing I'd personally say anywhere near as iconic as mid-80's to mid-90's.

the thing about anime is that at this point most anime is actively trying to be anime instead of a show that just happens to be anime, so as to fit into a culture that likes anime regardless of quality or artistic merit because that's what they believe their culture is supposed to do

it pretty much started going downhill with the advent of lucky star

The funny thing is, I remember when a member of the old local anime club interviewed three people (one was a jazz musician, one was an instructor, and the third was a music historian at the university) about the music in Cowboy Bebop and all three said "that's some decent music, but it isn't jazz" and then went on to pan all the music as being fluff, soulless, the work of commercial musicians and had no contribution to jazz music at all.
Okay, sorry for breaking in late to this conversation but regarding the above quote, I almost can't believe it. Jazz has become an incredibly umbrella term and refers to so much stuff, right from Joplin (Scott Joplin that is) through to Jamiroquai. It's a huge metagenre. For them to say that something written to be jazz music, using the characteristics of jazz isn't jazz, means they're obviously operating under a different definition of the word to the standard music dictionary one. A pretentious, douche-baggery definition where 'jazz' is progressive and experimentitive music which has greater meaning than simply to entertain. Ignore these people, their sense of music 'progression' died in the 70's.

Okay, not ALL the music in Bebop is even 'metagenre jazz', there's hard rock, dance (and if we're going to be particular about genre) a metric fucktonne of blues in there, but take a listen to

. It's so painfully, most definitely bebop/hard bop it's almost unoriginal. It's damn similar to guys like Parker, Gillespie and Coltrane, the obvious namedrops. Actually, funnily enough Gillespie's 'Bebop' is a pretty good similarity to the example track.

So, yeah, Cowboy Bebop's soundtrack includes a lot of jazz, and even bebop. In places it's textbook.

If you don't agree, go study your music theory and then we'll talk.

Edited by PROTO·DOME