Excellent metal (& the like)

Salluz

Oh god, I totally thought those albums came out in the fall. This sucks!

And holy shit, Periphery's album came out? I've been following their guitarist's soundclick page for like 4 years now and I had no idea. He posted a bunch of these tracks as instrumental demos over the last couple years. This is really cool. I need to pick this up.

Oh wow. I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting Alcest on my list yesterday.

Infusing ethereally beautiful vocals, lyrics and imagery with droning shoegaze and black metal.

Écailles De Lune (Part II)

Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde

Don't mind me, just a friendly reminder that Devin Townsend is really fucking awesome.

Oh, Devin Townsend, how you make me smile.

And holy shit, Periphery's album came out

My reaction too, haha

Majority of the album is quite good.

I made a thread about Jazz Metal a while back, but sadly a lot of the stuff wasn't what I was looking for.

One of my favorite metal bands "D" did an awesome jazz-metal song; even has trumpet and piano:

(Sorry about the quality)

They've also done lots of unique songs with lots of world influence:

Colosseo (awesome Romanian sound)

Birth - (awesome violin)

Meteo - (awesome hardcore-ness)

Hanatsumi no Otome ~Rozova Dolina~ (awesome Italian sound, including an accordion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-SBvHFbPU&feature=related

13 Gatsu Yumemi Oka (awesome medieval sound)

Yami Yori Kurai Doukoku no A Cappella to Bara Yori Akai Jounetsu no Aria (yes it's a long ass name, but still awesome. also try not to let the video scare you)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91oOtcZHGqc&feature=related

Ouka Saki Some ni Keri (awesome Japanese-style metal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V4BLhRJ59g

I've yet to find a band more progressive in the metal genre than them, so I'm always looking forward to their stuff. They also have plenty more unique songs.

J-Music 4 life

I made a thread about Jazz Metal a while back, but sadly a lot of the stuff wasn't what I was looking for.

One of my favorite metal bands "D" did an awesome jazz-metal song; even has trumpet and piano:

(Sorry about the quality)

See post #102: it's what your looking for.

Stream of Passion. Their First CD is epic-ly awesome (Embrace the Storm).

Calliopeia -

Deciever -

I know they aren't true metal, but they kick ass anyways.

Their 2nd CD isn't near as good, as the writer went back to his first band.

"The writer" pfft such metal blasphemy

The only Stream of Passion songs I ever liked were on the live DVD, and those were covers of Ayreon and Star One songs

Like this

"The writer" pfft such metal blasphemy

The only Stream of Passion songs I ever liked were on the live DVD, and those were covers of Ayreon and Star One songs

Heh, the guy went back to his original band. How is calling the composer "the writer" blasphemy? Other than using a more generic word for the task.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I just typed jazz into the genre search box at Metal Archives and came up with 58 results. Atheist was already mentioned. Ephuel Duath is worth checking out. I checked out Clockwork, which has been described as Yes meets Dream Theater. Pretty good stuff, though it takes a little bit to get into.

I like that they've got Two Chris Pig's in their line-up

If you want jazz metal, maudlin of the Well was pretty awesome. Less metal and more jazz / avant garde though.

I know Misha (bulb, guy behind periphery) personally and I have to say, after the years of demos, I was truly disappointed with their first album. He has done a lot better stuff just as demos.

Agreed to an extent. I only listen to the instrumental version of their album, and it's just a higher-level produced version of a lot of his older songs.

I know Misha (bulb, guy behind periphery) personally and I have to say, after the years of demos, I was truly disappointed with their first album. He has done a lot better stuff just as demos.

Yeah, was a real letdown. I'm glad they released an instrumental version at least. Some of the tracks stand out more once the vocals are gone. Like IBBIAZ said though, they're just higher produced versions of their demo tracks. In some cases, you might say overproduced. I liked some demo versions of the songs better.

Anyone else listen to Jupiter by Atheist yet? Fantastic album, even if it's a little short.

• 2 weeks later...