Turned Based RPGs

atmuh

It seems that in recent years people really don't seem to make turned based RPGs anymore. This makes me very sad as I love turn based gameplay! Are there any current gen RPGs that are turn based that are even remotely decent? The only one I can think of is Lost Odyssey which I hated after playing it for 2 hours but at this point I'm so desperate to play a turn based game I might just start playing it again.

SMT Devil Survivor is turn-based and a mix of SRPG and classic RPG. Then there's Strange Journey, which will be out soon (if it isn't already), and it's a classic dungeon crawler.

There's also Sands of Destruction and that Hercules game for the DS, too. DS is the turn-based RPG place to be.

The closest thing the Wii currently has would be Opoona, or games like Chocobo's Dungeon and Baroque (all 3 are pretty mediocre, though Chocobo's Dungeon was kinda fun but way easier than Baroque). PS3's got... uh, Disgaea 3? I don't know what else.

It seems that in recent years people really don't seem to make turned based RPGs anymore. This makes me very sad as I love turn based gameplay! Are there any current gen RPGs that are turn based that are even remotely decent? The only one I can think of is Lost Odyssey which I hated after playing it for 2 hours but at this point I'm so desperate to play a turn based game I might just start playing it again.

I'm kind of with you. Turned based RPG games are really my favorite genre. Luckily I have a ton of games in my backlog that I haven't played yet. I don't care what system it's on, though, as long as it's a good game.

I have. Apparently there is a hard mode download, which you will need to keep from being totally bored. The default difficulty of the game is absolutely pathetic unless you keep yourself severely underlevelled and underpowered.

Other than the difficulty, the gameplay is fine. The story, however, is total crap and all the protagonists save for Zola are whiny little dipshit bitches. There is a special place in hell for Maromaru.

I preferred Lost Odyssey far more, but then I'm a sucker for ridiculously tear-jerking dramatic stories. Blue Dragon I never even beat. I lost interest around the final dungeon.

To its credit, Blue Dragon does have a full overworld littered with tons of secrets, rather than just a boat and a menu like Lost Odyssey.

I think the whole 'REAL TIME MMO TYPE GAMEPLAY' trend is why I don't care about jRPGs anymore.

Are you suggesting that the Real-time MMO-type Gameplay makes turn-based JRPG gameplay feel antiquated, or are you suggesting that the trend of real-time MMO-type gameplay in modern JRPGs now is making you not care about JRPGs anymore?

http://kotaku.com/5466549/nippon-ichi-software-this-cant-be-good-part-ii

Oh wait, you're looking for good games, not depressing news.

Did anyone else read this depressing news as "investment opportunity"? If I had some extra cash around, I certainly would think about it. I doubt they will go under for good, they have a lot of options by which to turn that ship around I think.