Let's get OCR to do Sonic 4's music!

DarkeSword

I may post something on the gaming site I write for. Would be cool if you guys get the gig. I know that Sega's North American and European blogs are very community-friendly so if the word spreads out well enough they may pimp you out as well. And once that's done, surely someone inside Sega will notice. Perhaps the hardest thing about this is that Sonic 4's release only a couple of months away (summer) so it may be hard for you guys to meet that deadline...considering that there will be a lot of internal discussions going on. I got the impression that Dave and company had to do a lot of talk with the development team of HD Remix in order to make the deal crystal clear. Also, it doesn't help that the game is developed internally by Sonic Team...doesn't allow for a lot of flexibility.

I know I'm sounding a bit grim here...just my two cents. Like you said though, no harm in trying.

Yeah, I would totally want in on this. I have an original tune I composed, which would fit perfectly with a Sonic game.

Here's the song I had in mind. http://www.tindeck.com/listen/ovbz

If someone wants to collaborate with me to fine tune this song, please PM me.

I take it you were thinking slightly of the intro of S3&K when you composed the main synth melody? ;)

Anyway, good so far, but you really need to strengthen that main synth, it seems to weak compared to the background. In fact, that's what this track needs in general - dynamics, and perhaps a little more direction and a little less reverb. So far it just seems a little too "new age-ish" for a piece that's meant to imply speed. In fact my first thought when I heard the intro was Megaman Battle Network or Ape Escape - probably not what you were aiming for.

Put it this way, we can't do worse the guys who did Sonic Rush, who did practically nothing but "borrow" melodies and samples for their music. I wouldn't be surprised if not a single tune in that entire game was completely original...might be interesting to start a thread and see if people here can find out the various sources those tunes were "borrowed" from. :)

I take it you were thinking slightly of the intro of S3&K when you composed the main synth melody? ;)

Anyway, good so far, but you really need to strengthen that main synth, it seems to weak compared to the background. In fact, that's what this track needs in general - dynamics, and perhaps a little more direction and a little less reverb. So far it just seems a little too "new age-ish" for a piece that's meant to imply speed. In fact my first thought when I heard the intro was Megaman Battle Network or Ape Escape - probably not what you were aiming for.

It sounds more like the Hokey Pokey song. :/

Put it this way, we can't do worse the guys who did Sonic Rush, who did practically nothing but "borrow" melodies and samples for their music. I wouldn't be surprised if not a single tune in that entire game was completely original...might be interesting to start a thread and see if people here can find out the various sources those tunes were "borrowed" from. :)

Sonic Rush had awesome music.

Yeah, good OCR music is better than some of the music I've heard in Sonic's latest games. (Sonic Unleashed had a good soundtrack, but it was too much rock-ish orchestral)

It'd be hard to get away with J-prog-rock GYM and chiptune soundtracks for today's mainstream console videogames.

Not because thats justified, just because thats how it is these days.

Hell, even if this goes nowhere, we should do a fun and quick Sonic-inspired yet original community album, because this thread has really made me want to make a track in the style of Sonic music...

^ What this guy said. That'd be amazing. 8O

Nope. Which is why I'm asking for collaboration. I can make nice tunes and melodies, but I can't seem to mix and arrange things perfectly. But this song is old and I haven't cleaned it up since.