3D vs. 2D Movies

atmuh

So I just heard on the radio that come this weekend prices of 3D movies will be going up pretty much nationwide (heading up towards the $20 per person mark). Do you feel that they are even remotely worth paying that much more to see? I've seen my fair share of 3D movies and I really don't see the appeal at all.

Seriously though think about it, $100 for a family of 5 to go out and see a movie (not counting refreshments). That's just ridiculous.

Gotta agree with you there, I really don't get the appeal. There's yet to be a film that employs it as anything more than a gimmick. It would be really cool if they could actually find a way to incorporate it naturally into the movie, but as it stands it's mostly just a case of film makers throwing in a bunch of shots that don't really add anything of shit flying at the screen. And pointing, lot's of pointing.

Well I saw Alice in Wonderland in 3D, which I personally enjoyed quite a bit, and although I wouldn't call the 3D aspects gimmicky in any way I didn't feel like it really added anything at all to the experience. Avatar was exactly the same way.

So I just heard on the radio that come this weekend prices of 3D movies will be going up pretty much nationwide (heading up towards the $20 per person mark). Do you feel that they are even remotely worth paying that much more to see? I've seen my fair share of 3D movies and I really don't see the appeal at all.

Seriously though think about it, $100 for a family of 5 to go out and see a movie (not counting refreshments). That's just ridiculous.

Yeah, it's not clear if that $20 will be for IMAX or just standard theater 3-d. But I'm thinking IMAX.

Still, taking a family of 5 to the movies for $15 a pop becomes the standard? That's still $75. Factor in a $5 price reduction for 3 children? That's still $60 for a family of 5.

So yeah, your family can get a couple hours of enjoyment for a $60 movie, or possibly weeks with a new $50/$60 Wii/360/PS3 title. Hmmm... Where will people go in a depressed economy?

Hollywood will soon be is strangling itself with it's own film.

Worse, I have seen nothing yet to suggest 3-D is anything more than a gimmick. Sorry, but Up and Avatar didn't sell me on it being the future.

And of course, what 3-D really is about is:

1) Jacking up ticket prices for no real legit reason. It's not like most 3-D movies costs tens and tens of millions more to make in 3-D. Even though it adds to the cost, it's assumed as more adapt it, costs will go down for the process.

2) Closing out independent film makers from the marquee. Let's face it, with cheap and effective CGI for films becoming more and accessible to the general public, it's the best way to trump them at the theaters. Are theater owners gonna want to run a small, well-told, well produced sci-fi story, or drama for $10 or less ticket prices, or some bombastic Michael Bay 3-D mess at $15/ticket and a monster marketing budget to boot?

When you see a movie like District 9 get made for $30-ish million, it's only a matter of time (less than 10 years) before some guys on the internet can whip-up CGI that convincing, if not already.

3) Anti-Piracy. This is might actually be a fair enough reason to get people back into theaters, but not at those backbreaking prices. Remember now you're trying to sell 2 hours of escape, at more than double minimum wage.

As people have pointed out, 3D is becoming less of a gimmick and more something that's just "there" to add to the immersion. Like in Avatar. I guess it's comparable to colour, stereo sound, widescreen, HD... It's not required to enjoy the movie but it's a nice addition.

$20 for a movie ticket does sound ridiculously expensive to me. Out of curiosity, how expensive are they now in the USA? Tickets for 3D movies (IMAX) already are up to $15 over here in the Netherlands.

Edit: I looked up current movie prices at the Pathé site and converted to dollars using Google... The $15 does include tax (which I'm told US$ prices usually don't).

I thought I was the only one who got headaches from those stupid glasses.

no way man

im personally fine but whenever i go out with friends to a 3d movie usually 70% of the people complain afterwards that they have a headache

Yikes, no I don't think it's worth it to pay near that much to see a 3-D movie even if I went alone. I don't think I'd even have paid the 15ish dollars to see Avatar in 3D, (boyfriends dad took us over winter break so I pretty much saw it for free).

I'm generally really easy to amuse, but 3D movies don't amuse me anymore than a 2D one would. I do hope they continue making them and learn to work with the medium better over time though. (Much like we had to do when going from stage plays to tv/movies) It's just not really there yet but maybe it will be in the future.

I'm not sure if the glasses give me a headache, cause the one time I went to a non IMAX 3D movie I forgot to bring my own glasses. And I can't drive my car for 5 minutes without glasses without getting a headache, much less try to focus on a screen for nearly 3 hours. They do however make the tops of my ears really sore, so I don't really like the glasses whether they give me a headache or not.

There's only one movie this year I'm looking forward to that I would see in 3-D, if it actually benefited from it, and that's Tron Legacy. That's the only movie that makes me think "I HAVE TO SEE IT!!!"

I care little about seeing Clash of The Titans, 2D or 3D.

Toy Story 3? I'll see that in 2-D. UP for me wasn't worth it in 3D, so I don't think Toy Story would be any better in 3D. Alice in Wonderland was good, but I don't think 3D necessarily made it better either. Iron Man 2 I'm sure will be good, but I'm not running out to the theater to be the first to see it.

As far as I'm concerned, when ticket prices go above ten dollars for the Matinee, I'll be passing up on seeing movies in the theater, I'll wait for them to come to DVD/Blu-Ray. Yeah, I know that means I'll be waiting a long time...

I'm increasingly frustrated with going to the theater, I'm like a magnet for some obnoxious, loud, annoying person to sit behind me, or around me. I honestly think common courtesy is a dying trait (or maybe it's been dead for a longer than I think).

I guess I'm just becoming a cranky old man when it comes to the movie theater.

I'm increasingly frustrated with going to the theater, I'm like a magnet for some obnoxious, loud, annoying person to sit behind me, or around me. I honestly think common courtesy is a dying trait (or maybe it's been dead for a longer than I think).

I guess I'm just becoming a cranky old man when it comes to the movie theater.

Actually, speaking of ticket prices and theaters, I feel like what I'm about to say is a good time to bring this up. The reason I hate going to the theater is actually because of it being a place where you're expected to do nothing but sit and watch. I'm certainly courteous enough to not talk when I AM forced to go to a theater, but I get awfully bored just sitting there and watching.

I think it's funny that movies are considered a social activity but you're really not doing anything social until the end of the movie. I like it when people talk (quietly though!) during movies because it can lead to interesting comments and jokes or even to someone saying something insightful you never would've realized.

That's why I like watching movies at home and inviting people over instead. Plus I'm a fidgety squirmy energetic can't-sit-still type of guy and if my hands aren't busy with something or I can't make myself comfortable for more than a couple minutes I need to find some way to fix that and those theater chairs REALLY don't help.

It actually gets to the point where, yeah, I'd actually rather wait a handful of months and buy the DVD so I can watch it at home.

Anyone else feel the same way about theaters?

That said... watching movies in 3D doesn't really add or take away much from the experience for me, especially not to the point where I'd spend more to go see them, and it just makes me want to stay away from the theater even more than I already do. So I think the movie industry is really shooting themselves in the foot here.

to those who get headaches from watching movies in 3D: make sure you're using your eyes together properly and see an eye doctor. i read some article about that being caused by your brain not combining the images from your eyes properly or something.

at this point i think my stance on 3D crap is clear. and if it's not, let the previous sentence stand as my argument.

anyone else laugh at this?

What the

GET BACK IN THE SOCKET, LEFT EYE.

NO WE CAN'T SIT IN THE FRONT ROW.

SO HELP ME GOD I WILL LEAVE YOU HERE. I WILL WALK OUT OF THIS THEATRE AND DRIVE HOME.

(God damn it, now I really want to go to 3D movie just so I can shout this.)

I get awfully bored just sitting there and watching.

Is it possible that you just need to watch better movies?

anyone else laugh at this?

No, because what he said is true about how eyes work. Although beyond getting a pair of glasses if your eyes don't focus right it generally is not anything major.

Lots of people do NOT have true stereoscopic vision, because their eyes are not properly synced with each other, whether because they don't look exactly in the proper direction, they don't focus together, or they only really focus with one eye when they look directly at something.