Potential OCR Meetup: Six Flags America (MD/DC/VA)

Arrow

Hmm...y'know, if I lived in Ottawa for August, I'd do my best to figure it out and come along, even though I hate rides. Unfortunately...I'm studying in Belgium, which is nowhere near Maryland. Or rides, for that matter. If it's really, really late August I may be headed home (if so, I'd fly Heathrow - Dulles and hope for a ride or something) - but don't count on it, and don't make any changes to your plans on my account.

For the record, why don't the Canadians host something? The North Coast is as left out as the West Coast...

EDIT: Poop. I've got a meeting at the end of August in Prague. Crap.

(A) I'm 100% on-board for an OCR meetup at Six Flags. End of August would actually be pretty convenient, since it's after my second summer session of grad school and before fall begins.

I'd also prefer having it in the middle of the week (school schedule permitting), since I can take a day or two off of work, and we can enjoy shorter lines everywhere.

(B) Zircon, if you have a Philly meetup (and it's not on a day when I have schedule conflicts), I'll drive up for that. I can give a lift to anyone in the NoVA/DC/MD area, too. KF

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, sure took a while for the people I called in the group sales department to get back to me. But I have a few answers/clarifications to things I was wondering and things people asked.

• Group discounts can be purchased at any time, but there's an early bird special too. If we were to go ahead and buy the tickets for this outing by May 31, we'd pay $20 a person. Past that, and the price jumps to $24. Not bad either way (regular price is $50), and paying this early for a late August trip might be rough, especially since we haven't really set about figuring out who's going for sure. So let's just say everyone can expect to pay $24 for their ticket. Possibly less, depending on how many people come; every 16th ticket is free, so that would obviously drop the individual price. Just a reminder though, we'd have to have at least 15 people go. Any less, and it doesn't count as a group, meaning we'd all have to pay full price.
  • The tickets obviously have to be purchased in bulk and then mailed to a single address, so the best plan is still for us to figure out who's all going, for me to then buy all the tickets, for everyone to IM me addresses so I can mail them out, and then for you all to pay me back once your ticket arrives. As long as everyone pays me back quickly and we don't end up having, like, 45 people come, I should have no problem doing this. Otherwise, I'd probably need cash sent in advance.
  • Part of our group discount includes a "Picnic in the Park" thing where we can spend a little extra money to get a buffet lunch all to ourselves, but this is limited by scheduling (aka: if someone asks for it first on the day we're going), so it's only really an option if we get this together early.
  • Brushfire, military IDs can't be used with group tickets. You either go group or you go troop. Speaking of military discounts, you have to get those through your MWR/ITR office, and according to the closest one to you, the tickets would be $29 for adults. So obviously, it'd be better for you and the wife to just roll with the rest of us in the group deal, especially since this would get us closer to nabbing the free ticket.

Yeah, I don't think we'll have enough answers in time to get down to the $20 mark. I agree that we should just say that we'll do ~$24 per person and then however many show up (however many tickets end up being free) will get accounted for at the gate or whatever.

There's a good chance I'm moving to Arlington, VA, or in the area somewhere

Hold on. Reverse engines. Full stop.

You're likely moving WHERE?

Yup, you read it right! Of course I'll know more for sure as it gets closer to the end of June, but it seems to be my likely destination since most of the jobs I'm applying for soon are in the DC area.

Hah, excellent! This place is definitely gonna become OCR-Central at this rate.

All y'all should move down here. KF

• 1 month later...

No, we haven't. But based on what everybody has said up to this point, I'm pretty much banking on either the final weekend of August (28/29) or the week before (21/22), and not anytime during on weekdays, which looks too tough to get everybody together for. I'm trying to schedule around DJP's honeymoon too, which might make the final weekend untenable.

• 3 weeks later...

After talking with several people, I've come to the conclusion that the official date for this meetup either needs to be Sat. August 28 or Sun. August 29. Later gives more chance to get over Otakon money woes, and I myself don't have enough sick leave to take off another weekday so soon after the con (I haven't been working at that job a full year, so I don't have vacation leave yet). This will unfortunately make for long lines for coasters, but such is life. Anyways, either date is fine, and if anybody has a specific preference between the two, speak up. If not, we'll probably end up going Sunday since I believe Saturdays are always slightly more crowded.

I've edited my opening post with a list of people who said they may go so far. Even if you said definite before now, I put you down as potential in that post since I hadn't come up with a date. Now that we have one, let me know. Even with djp having to bow out due to the honeymoon (good excuse though), we've already got 17 if everyone on the potential list comes, which would definitely net the group discount.

Though honestly, if people drop out enough to dip below that, I'd probably still just buy 15 tickets anyways, so regardless of number, still count on your tickets being no more than $24.