Donkey Kong Country Returns

Hobocop

I actually thought it was kind of refreshing to have levels where you die should you take a single hit, just like games of old. Games used to be way harder before life gauges were ever implemented, so this seemed a bit like a throwback to me.

That refreshing feeling kind of vanishes when that giant bat kills me for the 20th time in a row. No exaggeration.

The giant bat level alone had me hearing Donkey's death cry in my sleep.

I haven't had dreams about it yet, but I'm pretty sure that Acme-esque rocket barrel song is stuck in my head for life, and will likely trigger Pavlovian anxiety if I hear it outside of the game.

I'd have to say that those super crazy difficult levels (like some of the mines levels) become really easy after a while. Uhm, that is, after you've learned to memorize them...

My initial tactic was to just complete a level as best I can, and later on I got the needed practice when trying to get the remaining puzzle pieces and KONG letters.

On another play through it was really simple to navigate through these once dreaded levels.

Patience is a good skill to have when playing this game :P My patience only last for a little while and I know it's time to quit when I start damning things.

I finished the secret final level on my first try, using the banana potion. When I tried it again I failed miserably time after time, trying to get the puzzle pieces. I got them eventually, using the Banana potion again.

I didn't keep playing after that. Unlocking the remaining image galleries is just not worth it. And I hardly feel like playing every level again in MM.

Incidentily, this game gave me a renewed appreciation for Donkey Kong Jungle Beat :D

• 2 weeks later...
Well. I guess I've made the record on 1-K!

Filmed off of my TV with my cell phone, but still, I dare anyone to do better!

Unfortunately, someone dared to do better before you even dared them.

Man, all the videos from this guy are really good.

Unfortunately, someone dared to do better before you even dared them.

Man, all the videos from this guy are really good.

What? wut?

How did I not find this guy in my quest to find a better time? And... How was that even possible???

Sigh. Well, I guess I'll do the honourable thing and withdraw my boating in the video.