Emulator Controller Recommendation

Velocifero

I've been reliving my childhood as of late playing some SNES and NES emulators (ZSNES and Nestopia respectively) and now desire to use an actual controller instead of the keyboard. I've done some googling but I found it hard to find controllers with a turbo feature. It's for a Macbook Pro laptop, but I'm sure any PC controller will work. I've heard the xbox 360 controller works well, but again, I'd like the turbo for those pesky button-mashers.

I've seen these USB controller adapters and might consider one of those if my old turbo SNES controller still works. I know on Nestopia, you can assign certain buttons to be turbo, but I haven't figured that out on ZSNES. I'd want something simpler like the old school turbo switch anyway. What do you guys use or recommend?

For N64, PSX and all stuff from that era, I use a 360 controller. And for absolutely everything else, I use my Sega Saturn USB controller. It's pretty much perfect for anything that's not 3D. I use it with my SNES emulation needs too. It works perfectly with most stuff, and worse case scenario, once in a blue moon I may have to remap the buttons for certain games. But the level of comfort and the quality of the controller is absolutely worth it.

If you can find one, it's a complete no-brainer :D

EDIT: And most emulators have Turbo options anyways, so that shouldn't be a problem for you :D

Ah yes, thanks guys I see it now. Yeah it was late and I guess I didn't look hard enough. I guess now my debate is either to get a controller that's good for any emulator I might play or a USB controller adapter and as authentic a controller as possible. But I have heard of lag issues with the adapters.

I haven't started playing N64 or PSX emulators yet but I feel it's only a matter of time. Maybe a USB PS2 controller or the 360 controller are the best after all. The d-pad on ps2 controllers are nice.

xbox360padblue.jpg

If you can get your hands on one of these, this is it for any emulation needs. It has the tight, comfortable analog sticks of the 360 controllers combined with a D-Pad that doesn't suck complete and utter ass like the classic 360 controllers; it also has built-in turbo. It only wouldn't be very good for Saturn emulation(?), but yeah. You get the idea. Nice pad.

I recommend against getting a classic 360 pad if you're emulating NES/SNES. Better to get an adapter for a SNES controller or a PS2 controller instead.

360 Controller works well without any sort of driver download, so for simplicity it's probably the best recommendation. I also find it to be a fairly comfortable controller though I've heard some people don't really like the circled d-pad. It also has a wireless variety that can be used on PC now, so definitely a strong choice.

Although it requires some third party drivers and setup, you can also use a PS3 controller with full functionality, even Bluetooth wireless if your PC can support Bluetooth. It's actually a fair amount of work but having gotten it to work myself, it is definitely my top choice. I wouldn't buy a PS3 controller just for this purpose, but if you own a PS3, why not.

I used to use a PS2 controller with a usb adapter, another fine choice although using a PS2 controller drives me nuts now since the buttons and stick don't move as easily as the PS3 controller, seems like a minor thing but I find it very noticeable.

As has been mentioned, you shouldn't need to worry about the actual controller having a turbo function, since most emulators have this integrated.

Also, if you don't get a controller with built-in turbo, and you have problems getting the integrated turbo to work within an emulator (I have), might I remind you that xpadder xpadder xpadders the xpadder's xpadder. Basically, it's a bind-any-key-to-controller program with built-in turbo, toggle, multi-input functions. Great for binding those save/load states to the controller.

Sorry, I'm not on the OCR scene as much as I used to, so forgive me if that program's common knowledge. It used to be free. Now it's 'not free'. ahem.

everyone complains about the dpad but really it's not that bad.

Well, it is certainly a matter of opinion whether or not it is still 'easy' to play with a classic 360 D-Pad. However, from a strictly design/implementation standpoint, it is inferior to a classic D-Pad, in that it requires more precision in the button press.

The 360 D-Pad is a solid disc, as opposed to separate buttons or a strict shape cross shape. What this means is that for the pressure points for the u/d/l/r inputs under the disc, if you want to input a 'diagonal', you would just press a different part of the disc, as opposed to two different buttons at once. The question becomes, at what point is the pressure on the disc going to affect more than one input? One article ('study'?) I read years ago on the subject found that, at the minimum force to register an input, only an estimated 12-15 degree deviation in either direction will hit a second input. In other words, 2/3 of the D-pad disc registers a diagonal, meaning it's 'harder' to hit a single direction than a diagonal. More force on the disc results in a smaller deviation required to register the second input, which explains why it's tougher to play fighter games or action platformers like Super Metroid in the heat of the moment! Add to that my own personal theory that the disc shape itself allows for inadvertent slight rolling of the pad, and you've got a tough situation, and an unforgiving 'D'-pad.

Of course, you're welcome to call the article's exact findings bullshit (or maybe call me a bullshitter, since I can't find the article :( ), but the principle makes sense. When you have separate buttons for a D-Pad, or a stiff cross shape, accidentally hitting two directions at once becomes much less a problem.

^ Yeah a normal shaped D pad is more ideal for old school gaming imo. Since I have a PS3 and would thus be free, I think I'm going to try to sync it up. I downloaded GamePad Companion http://www.carvware.com/ and get some response, but still nothing on ZSNES. *edit* I figured it out, just had to assign the buttons to the controller. The GamePad Companion works great! Free too. Guess I'll use this for now.

Speaking of emulation controllers, I seriously cannot play most N64 games without an actual N64 controller. Something about the button placement matches the games really well, for me anyway. Anyone have a link for a decent N64 > USB adapter? Maybe even a Gamecube one as well?

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the N64/PSX boom adapter? They're on ebay for 10 bucks, and everyone who plays Super Smash Bros 64 online (I used to) has one. I liked using a N64 controller for N64 games and a PSX dual shock for anything else. I personally think a PSX controller is the best for any SNES gaming, as it's set up very similarly. Here's a link!

http://cgi.ebay.com/N64-PS2-PS1-Controller-Converter-PC-USB-adapter-New-/180540705156?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item2a09108984

(seems they've gone up 5 bucks. still not bad i guess)

xbox360padblue.th.jpg

It only wouldn't be very good for Saturn emulation(?), but yeah. You get the idea. Nice pad.

No, but this updated one with 6 face buttons will.

ptru17141289dt.jpg

[The problem:] The 360 D-Pad is a solid disc, as opposed to separate buttons

Not really. The Saturn D-pad is also a disk and that's regarded as the best D-pad in the world. I personally haven't tried it, but I hear this mod improves the d-pad significantly.

I use a Madcatz Tournament Edition Fightstick for pretty much all my emulation excepting things that require two analogs.

MISC_MadCatz_PS3_SFIV_FightStickTE_LargeScreenShot_01.jpg

For everything else a wired 360 controller works fine, people bitch about the dpad but that doesn't affect me since I use an arcade stick for anything that uses dpad anyway.

PS: NES Megaman games are infinitely more fun on arcade stick imo, same with really anything prior to psx.

I use a 360 controller, as well, but it's one designed by MadCatz, so the D-pad is a bit more manageable. My older brother much prefers a PS3 controller for that very reason, but it doesn't really bother me as much. Frankly, a lot of the time, I just use the left stick even on older games.