OCR02080 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Swamp Gases"

djpretzel

Dude, this is *SO* not psybient! The psybient genre is defined by it's textures and very subtle beat; I hear a pretty damn prominent snare, instantly disqualifying this from being true psybient, and don't get me started on the organ and string sounds. :roll:

This sounds to me more like psy-halfdub with some ambient elements. It totally pisses me off when people mis-categorize this stuff! You are doing your listeners a disservice with this blatantly incorrect labeling.

Of course I'm joking, nice mix, dude. :-)

I love Simon Posford's work (since early Hallucinogen tracks back in the 90s) so much, that when I read AnSo's sentence "I honestly wish I was Simon Posford" it meant something very strong to me. Because I thought it in these exact terms so many times...

Simon truly is a fuckin' genius when it comes to creating complex, psychedelic, organic, hypnotizing tunes, with infinite overlapping layers of sound forming the most stunning soundscapes... I think a perfect example of that is the whole Shpongle discography, which is simply the musical form of the word 'awesomeness'.

I already commented on this ReMix, which I absolutely LOVE, a while ago, on the SMB album's official thread, but now that I know a little bit more about its backstory, it all makes sense.

Being a huge dub fan, as well as a psytrance/psybient/psywhatnot enthusiast, and also a big fan of virtually every single one of Another Soundscape's remixes, this particular one is a masterpiece in my opinion, and one of my all-time favorites here on OCR.

AnSo + PsyDub is teh shit. Period.

Gah! How am I supposed to be critical of someone that consistently puts out fun, entertaining, interesting, and above all -good- stuff?

This actually sounds like it takes some cues from zircon. This is a good thing, I love that dude's musics. And I don't care enough to distinguish between genres of electronic music, so I'll just say that I hear some influence maybe. Or maybe they have a common influence. Who knows?

Oh, right, the track. It's good. Listen to it. Not my favourite from the project, but it was a solid contender and more than anything else helped to keep a fairly stellar project up as far as the bar went. Really though, nothing to complain about here.

• 1 month later...

What's the difference between this mix and the one on the DKC2 CD? i thought i noticed one but no it was in both songs. I'm just not sure about it so anyone who can clarify would be thanked a bunch by me.

About the song, it was one of my favorites from the album tying up with Castle Crescendo, Roller Disco and How K. Rool Went Insane. The Melody constantly sweeping up and down is excellent. The Background harmony fading in and out on the off beat is always welcome. The fast background arpeggio in the background around 1:25 is layered so well, it's quite perfect.

Also, i'm very glad he decided to go in for the melody a 3rd time. Some people probably hate the redundancy but what I personally love most about synth techno is that it tends to take things that much farther. So great job guys, A+ mix.

I got only got around to hearing the album well after this was posted (:x), but it ended up being my favorite song off the album. I guess it's no surprise - in his remixes, Mattias often ends up hitting a style that is dear to my heart. I love how wild this gets as the song progresses. Great attention to detail, and just a very enjoyable listen overall.

• 2 months later...

Anosou brings out his usual talents for this mix, and I like the style he's got going on. As with the trance style, there isn't a buildup, and I would have liked a little more change-up to keep my ears really focused a bit more, but regardless this has some funky sounds and nice beats to bring it all together. Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

Smooth silky goodness. I've always enjoyed psy-(insert subtype here) sounding music, so psybient and/or psydub works for me. AnSo did real well in taking this theme and putting that chilling and relaxing dub twist to it. I like the "wobbling" sounds at the end. Very nice.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02080 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Swamp Gases"