3DS: Friend Codes on First Page, OMG THE THIRD DIMENSION

The Damned

While the negative impressions of the 3d are a bit disconcerting, I (positive-optimistically) wonder if at least part of the issue could be due to the demo units' positioning, etc.

To be honest, when they first announced the 3d capabilities I was disappointed since I'm someone who doesn't like going to see 3d versions of movies. Only recently reading impressions of the added depth from the "drop away" 3d has it sounded enticing to me, even if "gimmicky." Regardless of the 3d, or even regardless of how poor the 3d may be, I think I was resigned to buying the system eventually just because it is the successor to the DS and games I'd like to play are being released for it.

Pre-ordered a black 3DS with Pilotwings and Steel Diver.

I was sold when I finally got to try it out at Best Buy. Then I was really sold when I got into the main menu and tried out everything else like the AR games and the 3D camera. Pretty slick device and I absolutely love the 3D effect. It really seems like you get a lot of stuff just with the system alone, so I guess that's at least partly how I'm justifying the cost in my mind. If you're bored, you can read about my impressions and see some pics I took of the system here and here.

Like every Nintendo console, I'm obligated to pick this one up at launch, regardless of whether or not I really want it or have the necessary funds for it. It may not be great at all. It may have a ton of crappy games on it. Hell, it might even cause me headaches and vertigo. But nothing brings back that enthusiasm of being an excitable kid again like getting a game system at launch. Especially a Nintendo system. Their damn colorful game boxes get me every time.

DAMN YOU NINTENDO! Stop making crap that makes me feel like a kid again!!

Can't wait =)

Whats the point of rushing to buy it? Why not wait for a price drop or a reiteration of the system that works out a few of its kinks.

I don't know. It just seems really silly to buy a 250 dollar handheld system that will receive a revision sooner than later.

Whats the point of rushing to buy it? Why not wait for a price drop or a reiteration of the system that works out a few of its kinks.

I don't know. It just seems really silly to buy a 250 dollar handheld system that will receive a revision sooner than later.

With anything you buy right away, whether it's technology at launch or movies or games when they are released, you pay for the ability to experience that product all the time before it either goes down in price or is replaced by a new model. I want an iPad, but personally I can wait for another revision or two before I seriously consider one. I want a 3DS, and I will pay extra $ for that year or more of playing it before they come out with the inevitable new model.

It's all based on personal tastes and budgets. I don't understand anyone who gets a first generation Apple product, but millions of other people do. Different strokes...

What McVaffe said, plus with Nintendo having nearly a decade of design experience under its belt with the DS & DS Lite system, they have practically all the kinks worked out, so there's no real need for say, a "3DS Lite." Any future revisions will likely be minimal at best. A tweak here and there. Maybe we'll see a 3DS XL at some point.

And also, it's quite easy to trade in your old system to get the new one. Sure, it costs more overall to buy two systems, even with a trade-in discount, but if the improvements down the road are worth it, you get the best of both worlds: playing the system since launch and getting the new version.

plus with Nintendo having nearly a decade of design experience under its belt with the DS & DS Lite system, they have practically all the kinks worked out, so there's no real need for say, a "3DS Lite."

Well, they also had the GBA SP, but the DS Lite still had design issues (most commonly known one was the cracked hinges defect, but there were also some light and touch-screen problems here and there). And before that, they had the GameBoy line and its various models, and we saw design issues with the GBA line (like soft buttons and even the occasional hardware death, where the GBA just didn't work at all. Rare, but it did happen).

Nintendo may make reliable and durable hardware, but they aren't immune to real-world manufacturing and design problems just because most of their hardware is fine. Each new hardware they put out has the potential to be flawed. Even if the first batches of Japanese 3DSs are fine, that doesn't mean that the first batches of US 3DSs are going to be as well.

Also, Nintendo always, ALWAYS makes another version of their portable. You know it, I know it, it's a law of the universe. They will make one at some point, and depending upon how well the average consumer takes to the 3D effect, or if they can improve it significantly more than it is now, Nintendo will figure out a way to make a second version of the same hardware. Hell, they're already working on it right now, I bet. They aren't stupid, they know that lots of people will buy the same hardware, but in a different form, if given the option. Look at iPods and iPhones.

Besides, waiting isn't going to end up screwing them over somehow. They aren't going to miss out on anything at all. Everything that the current 3DS offers will still be there for them a year or more from now. The same games, the same features, the same everything. Worst case scenario, they wait longer to pay the same games you already have, and I don't see anyone complaining about those that played Earthbound fifteen years later than everyone else.

Besides, waiting isn't going to end up screwing them over somehow. They aren't going to miss out on anything at all. Everything that the current 3DS offers will still be there for them a year or more from now. The same games, the same features, the same everything. Worst case scenario, they wait longer to pay the same games you already have, and I don't see anyone complaining about those that played Earthbound fifteen years later than everyone else.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this just seems non sequitur. While what you're saying is true, I don't think anybody was hinting at that at all in the previous posts.

Well, not here, there isn't. But there is this sort of mentality on various other sites that if anyone is choosing not to get a 3DS on launch day, they're either anti-Nintendo fanboys or idiots or some other kind of insult. I've seen it on sites that aren't even about video games. For example, a site that I frequent for it's MP3 player info has two sides; one that sees it as a must-have item and you're a fool for not getting it while you can, and the other is of the "I'll wait to see how it turns out first" party. They constantly bicker at each other over it, and video games discussions are kind of rare on that site, as they tend towards more things like headphones and audio gear than gaming.

Bu yeah, OCR isn't being like that.

We have a winner, ladies and gentleman.

My store just got some 3DSs in today. The boxes are pretty heavy!

If I pressed really hard, I probably could have convinced them to let me buy one today, but I've already pre-ordered one from futureshop, it's only 3 days more and honestly, I'm actually looking forward to waiting outside the store for it to open.