Preset Hate

J.L.Condon

Ok, so I think I see where everyone is coming from.

I see that there is an originality that comes with the creation of your own sounds. However, what ever sound you use should fit your artistic vision for the song.

I think my question is answered now.

(My answered question)*1.28/ maximum rofl = end of thread :<?

Sorry about the math here. It's one of my weaker subjects....

If you knew that to be true, why didn't you mention it in your previous post? Sorry, I think you are still lost, or backpedalling. No evidence to believe otherwise at this point.

You fail to read sarcasm, then fail to recognize it when it's pointed out to you and then say _I'm_ lost? Wow, you really know how to read stuff. <-The previous sentence was sarcasm.

This is for you: :tomatoface:

--

Anyway, I heard a GarageBand loop in the outro music for a news program on tv some years ago. It instantly felt like it was on my level (at the time) rather than professional. It felt newby. It felt like someone had just cobbled together some presets and loops and made money on it.

You know how newbs get some music software and feel entitled to have their supposed genius recognized with whatever crap they post? This was the opposite, where I felt entitled to have my supposed genius recognized for making music that's not based on a bunch of presets and loops, stuff that's fully* my own. *tho I don't produce my own electricity, or even make my own synth plugins

I mean, if newby mcn00bster* can get his music on tv, why don't I get mine on there? (perhaps it has something to do with that I rarely actually finish any of mine? :D ) *I have no idea how pro the writer of said music piece is. :D

Anyone who doesn't mine their own metal to build a bike, to generate electricity, for a custom made synthesizer, which was hand crafted, programmed, and put together by themselves, and hooked up to a custom built computer, with a custom OS, and a custom DAW, with a custom firewire interface to record said custom synthesizer, to a custom sound format and put it on a custom internet is a noob

Unless you've done that, you suck at making music.

End of discussion

Anyone who doesn't mine their own metal to build a bike, to generate electricity, for a custom made synthesizer, which was hand crafted, programmed, and put together by themselves, and hooked up to a custom built computer, with a custom OS, and a custom DAW, with a custom firewire interface to record said custom synthesizer, to a custom sound format and put it on a custom internet is a noob

Unless you've done that, you suck at making music.

End of discussion

ROFL!!! I actually busted out laughing!

You fail to read sarcasm, then fail to recognize it when it's pointed out to you and then say _I'm_ lost? Wow, you really know how to read stuff. <-The previous sentence was sarcasm.

This is for you: :tomatoface:

You are lost. Neblix informed me he wasn't really being sarcastic.

As much of an ass you've made out of yourself, I am prepared to accept an apology. Either way, I'm wishing you better literacy in the future.

You are lost. Neblix informed me he wasn't really being sarcastic.

As much of an ass you've made out of yourself, I am prepared to accept an apology. Either way, I'm wishing you better literacy in the future.

In Rozovian's defense, I was not entirely being serious either. I told you this also, but you chose to ignore it. :P You've made an ass out of yourself. :nicework:

(using equations in posts + 4) / (pie)^(1/3) = banana

Y = logtroll Judge^x

I don't give two shits if it's a preset or not. If your music sucks, it doesn't matter how awesome your tone is or how great your production quality. Polish a turd, it's still a turd. I'll take the best song with the worst production over the worst song with the best production any day.

Though I play guitar and mostly metal music, where "presets" typically aren't used by most people because most guitar amps don't have them. The exception is most every keyboardist I can think of in the genre, and I'm talking the pros here, are using many preset sounds on their keyboards. So many bands.....I'll go through the Korg or Roland keyboards they have and boom, I've found the EXACT tone the keyboardist is using live and on the records.

To me it's interesting how in Electronic music, there is this whole, dare I say elitist "fuck you ya preset using n00b" attitude but it's perfectly acceptable in other genres for musicians to use basically the same tone for years.

That being said, Electronic music has a stronger focus on the tone. Part of the excitement of a good electronic song is hearing a sound you've never heard before and it's fun to screw around with synths to make new sounds. I still think that if a preset gets you what YOU want to hear, then mission accomplished.

Bottom Line. "Haters gonna hate".

but that does not mean you were being sarcastic or unserious.

I kinda was being unserious, and you don't get to dictate what I'm thinking. ;)

To get back on the actual topic, no, making your synths from the ground up doesn't make you a superior synth designer, however, IBBIAZ's synths are better than "bad presets", so he is a superior synth designer (I'm talkin about him and him only :P)

I'll take the best song with the worst production over the worst song with the best production any day.

Oddly enough, I'm just the opposite. I'm first a producer and engineer, second a musician, and this tends to show in my tastes. I can't listen to a song if it's recorded/mixed poorly--I just can't look past the production errors.

Oddly enough, I'm just the opposite. I'm first a producer and engineer, second a musician, and this tends to show in my tastes. I can't listen to a song if it's recorded/mixed poorly--I just can't look past the production errors.

Yeah I suppose it depends. Like you say, you're a producer and engineer first.

I'm just a musician lol

Presets are there for a reason, to give you a feel of what the instrument is capable of. A well-picked group of presets is a major selling point for them. Then again, many musicians can work their synths better than the people that designed and engineered them, like pro players that find exploits in games not found in the testing phase.

When I want a particular sound, I often go to the present that sounds most like that, and tweak it from there. I kinda stop at loop packs for synth instruments though. If the loops sound a lot like presets, I think "why bother" and just use a synth and not a sampler.

There's also the notion that (most) people here are musicians so these things are more glaringly obvious to us. To virgin ears, they don't care about the pieces as much as the whole of the song.

I hear the same thing about DJs that don't seem to enjoy other DJ's shows as much as the average person because they can pick out technical flaws.

Are we talking about SYNTH synthetic sounds? What about a ROMpler? I mean, if it's a friggin' recording of a Fender Rhodes built into a playable "sample," how is that different than having that Fender Rhodes on your recording?

I also hate the hardcores because they speak as if the impression is that Dave Grohl should change his drums on EVERY song, along with using a DIFFERENT guitar on every song and maybe even having a different vocalist on EVERY song.

RIGHT?!

Presets save time, and I am all for saving time. Imagine if synths didn't have presets. Wouldn't that be awfully boring? You can draw inspiration from presets, and change them to faster get the sound you want. I am in the composer boat, if the composition is bad then it will sound bad. If the composition is good it will sound good.

Imagine if synths didn't have presets. Wouldn't that be awfully boring?

That's how half my synths are. And the other half, I've never opened a preset, so it's all the same. It's actually a whole lot less boring to me than looking through presets. I have a thought in mind as to what I want, and I get down and make it. No wasting time puddling through bullshit, hoping to find something close to my vision.

And analog, I'm referring to myself, as neblix said, in comparison to people who can't make them. I just don't see much point in someone who can synthesize from scratch digging through presets. And again, like I said before, my being able to synthesize doesn't make me a better musician than those who can't or any better at making music. It means I'm a better sound designer.