Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

The Wii U Gamepad has almost zero lag. In fact, it's actually

And anyone who has fears about playing with a tablet controller and TV at the same time: people had the same fear about the 2 screens of the DS. Plus, everyone in my family is always on their ipad/phone while watching TV, so clearly we are capable of focusing on two screens at once.

Dude you must come from a strange family.

Fixed.

Lol, I dunno, we've always been able to focus on two devices at once. For years I played pokemon while watching TV. In fact, I often played on my DS, while also having my laptop open with breeding and item location info. That's 4 screens! I guess I never even thought twice about the Wii U's two screen setup: it sure won't be unusual for me.

If anyone wants to save 12 bucks off their $69.99 Wii U games, you can still use the Newegg promo code (EMCJNNH224). Today is the last day. You can use it on multiple games, just be sure and place a separate order per game and remember to use the code each time. Shipping is free! Get on it!

Note: the code works toward any preorder over $49.99, so you COULD use it to buy Halo 4 too. If that's your thing.

Edited by ocre

But, isn't that how it should be? I mean, a controller with input lag is a video game-playing disaster waiting to happen.

Well, all wireless communication gives off a very small amount of "lag" compared to wired. It just depends on exactly how much to be noticeable to the player (in which case, most wireless controllers input latency is so small its a non issue).

But I don't think they are referring to input latency, but rather, the latency that it takes for the video on the GamePad screen to display whats going on (since it is wireless video).

Apparently this isn't going to be an issue as shown in the video, its doing a better job displaying the image on the GamePad than the TV itself. This means A) the gamepad video takes priority over the regular video and/or B) your average HDTV has more latency trying to display the video than the GamePad

If they push the system too hard, then wouldn't the wireless display functionality start to suffer as well?

Since there isn't a technical breakdown of the unit yet, I am going to guess there is some sort of hardware responsible for the wireless video transmission, and not something game software has hard control over at that low of level. I'm also guessing that some of the 1GB reserved for the "system" is going to video ram & operations for the GamePad too. I don't think this will be an issue

Edited by Crowbar Man

The rendering is done on the Wii U itself, not the GamePad, it simply displays an image like a TV.

Pushing the hardware itself (weither its doing two viewports or one) too far until it drops frames would be the same as when any other consoles drop frames. I wouldn't think it would effect the wireless communications side specifically

Edited by Crowbar Man

Sadly the fact Rayman Legends has been put back to 2013 may stop this being a day 1 purchase for me. The only Launch games I was 100% sold on was it and AssaSsin's Creed, which I can play on another console if I have to.

Will probably still get a Wii U but not until next year when 1) I'm a little richer and 2) it has good 2D platformers and great RPG/adventure games of its own.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/guess_what_michael_pachter_isnt_a_fan_of_the_wii_u

So... why is this Pachter guy always forecasting doom for Nintendo?

I can’t think of a third-party publisher that did well on the DS. I mean, Scribblenauts, so there are a handful games and you can count them. Nobody did very well on the DS, and I don’t think anybody’s going to do very well on the Wii U.

Nobody did well on the DS? Does he know something I don't? Last I checked, there were tons of DS games. If they didn't sell well, why did companies continue to make them?

I think he meant no one utilized the DS's functions particularly well outside of Nintendo.

I'm not exactly reading it that way. But, even if that's what he implied, what difference does it make? I'm not sure what kind of sense "The Wii U is like the DS except that it's hard to focus on the two screens on the Wii U and also the DS third party games didn't 'do well' despite a handful that I personally can name off the top of my head so that's why the Wii U will fail" makes.

I personally thought that lots of developers made a lot of great games for the DS, even if they didn't utilize the two screens to their maximum creative potential. See: the DS Castlevanias.

The bottom line is you can't please everyone. If you innovate, you're written off as gimmicky. If you stick to tried and true methods you're written off as uncreatively formulaic. You're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

The same sun that melts the ice hardens the clay.

Edited by Antonio Pizza
Puritan quote!

I'm not exactly reading it that way. But, even if that's what he implied, what difference does it make? I'm not sure what kind of sense "The Wii U is like the DS except that it's hard to focus on the two screens on the Wii U and also the DS third party games didn't 'do well' despite a handful that I personally can name off the top of my head so that's why the Wii U will fail" makes.

I personally thought that lots of developers made a lot of great games for the DS, even if they didn't utilize the two screens to their maximum creative potential. See: the DS Castlevanias.

I have an even better example.

The World Ends With You.