Nintendo Wii U

Cecilff2

When the PS4/Durago arrive, the Wii U will be pretty much mirror the situation with Wii and PS3/360.

Lower end games, Nintendo games, games that use the special controller. The Wii did not get all the high end multi platform games unless they were severely downgraded to work on it. The only reason that even happened was the GIGANTIC INSTALLED BASE (this is what the Wii U is missing)

At that point I would expect even LESS multi console support in the future as eventually even PS3/360 will get dropped from the "Multi console support" lists. It will become PS4/Durango for AAA mutli games

Its been known for a while that the Wii U would not be competing against the next gen in terms of raw power. So again, any body buying it not understanding did very little research on the subject, and must have a lot of pocket change

Edited by Crowbar Man

The reason to buy a Wii U is because of the potential of what developers can do with the controller, and the expectations of new Nintendo games. If you bought it to the same play 3rd party games you can get anywhere else, again probably the worst decision you could make.

A lot of people said that about the Wii's controller too. Look where that got them.

A lot of people said that about the Wii's controller too. Look where that got them.

A lot of fun and interesting games from Nintendo?

Sure there were a lot of waggly gimmicks, but over all the Wii has a pretty great library. There are even a few 3rd party games that make good use of the controller.

The problem with the Wii is it didn't even DO what was advertised: The motion control was lack luster and not accurate to say the least. You can't get a good gaming experience, and the best games on the Wii barely even used the motion controls. People still bought it though so apparently it didn't matter to most people

The Wii U is much better in this regard: It has Motion+ (which is much much better for accuracy) for motion crap, and its unique controller is just a REGULAR controller with 2nd screen and it has touch (only single point, but it works as well as DS which also uses single touch) and a few other bells and whistles. So far it is delivering what was promised in the control department much better than the Wii did. It has legitimate benefits to gaming while still offering a very traditional layout

Edited by Crowbar Man

Nobody even made decent use of the Wii's motion controls. You only got anything good in that regard from shovelware. Even stuff like The Last Story has crappy manual aiming without the wiimote. Damn, it would be better to play that game with ANY other controller. At least one with 2 analog sticks so you can adjust the camera. Sheeeeitt...... Part of why Wii U failed is because people just don't trust Nintendo after what happened with the Wii and how truly crappy the controllers were integrated and used by developers. Ain't nobody got time for promises and failure to deliver the goods.

And.... Wii U can't run Frostbite engine... When I bought my Wii U I knew it wasn't truly a next-gen console, because games would be coming out that can't even play on the Wii U. There are games even on the PS3 that you would never see on the Wii U, or you'll see it with severely limited graphic and effect quality. Yeah, it's not really next-gen, but at least I HOPE they release some really refined games. They dropped the ball by not having new HD Zelda ready at launch. I don't give any damns about Pikmin or Luigi and they're not exactly announcing anything substantial for the summer as far as I know.

Nobody even made decent use of the Wii's motion controls. You only got anything good in that regard from shovelware.

"The only games that made good use of the Wii Remote were shovelware"? lol

"Part of why Wii U failed is because people just don't trust Nintendo after what happened with the Wii and how truly crappy the controllers were integrated and used by developers."

Wii U didn't 'fail'. It's had a rough start but Wii U is struggling for reasons that have been explained a dozen times by now in this thread, not because "people don't trust Nintendo and their wacky new controller" (which is not really all that wacky in comparison to the Wii remote. It's actually a very traditional controller with touch screen capability. And two analog sticks, since you mention that specifically.) There's no reason developers can ignore the touch screen or use it. That's on them.

When I bought my Wii U I knew it wasn't truly a next-gen console, because games would be coming out that can't even play on the Wii U. There are games even on the PS3 that you would never see on the Wii U, or you'll see it with severely limited graphic and effect quality. Yeah, it's not really next-gen.

I know EA (we're in 'Gen4' to their knowledge) and stupid people like to define that word to their own convenience but I don't think you guys understand what 'generation' refers to. (Hint: Not system specs.)

Some PS3 games won't ever see release on Wii U because the developers won't port them over. The Wii U can handle anything the PS3 can run. How well the ports we've seen run or look depends on how much effort the developers put into them. Need for Speed Most Wanted, like I said before looks better on Wii U than on the PS3 or Xbox360.

Wii U can't run Frostbite engine.

Wii U "can't handle Frostbite" according to EA? EA sure do lay on the excuses when it comes to Nintendo but they sure are putting out a version for mobile devices. Excuses. Lame ones.

Anything else?

Edited by ocre

Brandon each time you post I'm amazed someone can be as wrong as you are. It is like you are in a competition to be as wrong as humanly possible, and you are going for the fucking gold.

Here's some games that made for some damn fun times with the Wiimote:

Mario Kart Wii, the Zelda series -

You know what? Pull a Nintendo-developed game off the shelf. You've got a better than average chance, it made the Wiimote fun.

Now a lot of people are going to chime in and say TP/SS weren't amazing with the wiimote. You know what, I can agree there. They weren't perfect. TP had you play a four year game of harvest moon before it trusted you with sharp things, and SS has it's own minor host of issues, but they were still goddamn fun. If the idea of swinging the wiimote and seeing your avatar on the screen swing it with you didn't give you an amazing rush, not to mention when you finally overcame difficult battles with expert handling of the controls, I think your fun center may be broken, and you need to re-evaluate what "fun" means to you.

A lot of fun and interesting games from Nintendo?

Sure there were a lot of waggly gimmicks, but over all the Wii has a pretty great library. There are even a few 3rd party games that make good use of the controller.

The problem with the Wii is it didn't even DO what was advertised: The motion control was lack luster and not accurate to say the least. You can't get a good gaming experience, and the best games on the Wii barely even used the motion controls. People still bought it though so apparently it didn't matter to most people

The Wii U is much better in this regard: It has Motion+ (which is much much better for accuracy) for motion crap, and its unique controller is just a REGULAR controller with 2nd screen and it has touch (only single point, but it works as well as DS which also uses single touch) and a few other bells and whistles. So far it is delivering what was promised in the control department much better than the Wii did. It has legitimate benefits to gaming while still offering a very traditional layout

I have a 3DS. It is a controller with two screens. Nintendo clearly has the tech to give us two screens, why dont they?

It would be good if Wii games played on the gamepad. At least then you'd have 2 analog shticks to control the camera in The Last Story.

The whole "it has to be scripted to run on that!" is a bunch of baloney. Everyone knows they just stream the TV image to the gamepad. Come on, Mintenda.

Wii U "can't handle Frostbite" according to EA? EA sure do lay on the excuses when it comes to Nintendo but they sure are putting out a version for mobile devices. Excuses. Lame ones.

Anything else?

Can't be arsed to script a new version that will run on Wii U I guess, when the other consoles are fully capable of running it. *shrug*

I don't think mobile platforms are particularly hard to develop for. I mean look at Square Enix.

Wha- What are you even arguing?

I am pointing out that a gimmicky screen is really just that. A gimmick. There is no reason to sing the WiiU's praises when the only things it has going for it is a handful of meager to mediocre at best ports, a Mario game that, just like the 3DS version is a rehash, and a theme park game that gives you nostalgia goggles for good Nintendo games long past.

Controllers dont sell systems. Games do.

You know ocre, these guys are right. Let's trade in our Wii U's and the games we bought so we can upgrade the video cards in our pc's.

Just kidding.

I don't think the Wii U is perfect. Obviously, like any console, it has many flaws that will be addressed over the coming years (red ring of death anyone???)

But it comes down to this: Nintendo still has wicked IP. If you want access to Nintendo's ip, you're going to have to buy their consoles to play their games. You can pretend there is some fantasy land in which Nintendo gives up and develops its games for whatever you personally deem to be the "alpha console". But too bad. This is reality. Even if Nintendo games would be better if they gave out, they're not going to, at least until their bank is dry, and I've been told that Nintendo has enough to make three or four failed consoles in a row and bounce back.

You want home console Mario Kart? You want Zelda? You want Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2? Oh wait...You want Sonic? You're going to have to buy a damn Wii U to get it.

I'm not going to try and convince any of you that you should buy a Wii U. In fact, I told my brother-in-law to wait until this fall when there is a greater selection of games. But the truth is, you can log on here and complain and troll all day, and it isn't going to change anything. There's a difference between calling Nintendo out for their screw-ups and deliberately acting like a turd-muffin.

But that's what the negative hype-train is all about, isn't it? I'm not going to let it upset me. It's a video game console. I have bigger problems. I have to watch over fifteen different windows and linux servers tomorrow. I will most likely get cursed at or screamed at tomorrow for things that I cannot control. But I digress -

It really isn't about Nintendo. It's about respect. And I just think that some of you people need to mellow out, and quit hating so much. We know Nintendo isn't perfect, but it's a part of my childhood, a part of who I am, and I vouch that many others can say the same. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I personally don't like Sony consoles. Do I hate Sony? No. Sony is a company. Hired by people who make money and raise families and buy groceries. If someone bought me a PS4, would I sell it? No. I would keep it, and I would try out a few of the games. Would I troll Sony threads like a 16-year-old with a tiny penis? No I wouldn't.

But if you feel the need, troll on. It's just some video games and this is just a forum that wouldn't be the same without Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Amiga, Commodore, or your Mom and Dad acting like whores.

Man this is a good beer.

Edited by megadave
missing letters - oh my!

There is no reason to sing the WiiU's praises when the only things it has going for it is a handful of meager to mediocre at best ports, a Mario game that, just like the 3DS version is a rehash, and a theme park game that gives you nostalgia goggles for good Nintendo games long past.

Controllers dont sell systems. Games do.

I agree. The games are the most important thing. They're coming. And luckily 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart don't seem like games that will rely much at all on the touch screen. I know Wonderful 101 makes use of the touch screen but I'm confident it will be used interestingly.

You really didn't find NintendoLand enjoyable? I will never ever say it's a must-have but I thought it would be terrible and ended up being pleasantly surprised with it. And yeah, Brandon, you're right about it sucking not being able to play all the attractions and the game not having any online function.

But it comes down to this: Nintendo still has wicked IP. If you want access to Nintendo's ip, you're going to have to buy their consoles to play their games. You can pretend there is some fantasy land in which Nintendo gives up and develops its games for whatever you personally deem to be the "alpha console". But too bad. This is reality.

That's a good point. We should all return our Wii U's and tell others not to buy them so we can force Nintendo to stop making consoles and become a developer for other systems. The best part is that it would force Nintendo to up their game (hah!) or fail. Sink or swim.

That's a good point. We should all return our Wii U's and tell others not to buy them so we can force Nintendo to stop making consoles and become a developer for other systems. The best part is that it would force Nintendo to up their game (hah!) or fail. Sink or swim.

That wasn't his point at all and just further proves how utterly clueless you are in this whole conversation and outs yourself as the troll you are.

You know ocre, these guys are right. Let's trade in our Wii U's and the games we bought so we can upgrade the video cards in our pc's.

Just kidding.

I don't think the Wii U is perfect. Obviously, like any console, it has many flaws that will be addressed over the coming years (red ring of death anyone???)

But it comes down to this: Nintendo still has wicked IP. If you want access to Nintendo's ip, you're going to have to buy their consoles to play their games. You can pretend there is some fantasy land in which Nintendo gives up and develops its games for whatever you personally deem to be the "alpha console". But too bad. This is reality. Even if Nintendo games would be better if they gave out, they're not going to, at least until their bank is dry, and I've been told that Nintendo has enough to make three or four failed consoles in a row and bounce back.

You want home console Mario Kart? You want Zelda? You want Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2? Oh wait...You want Sonic? You're going to have to buy a damn Wii U to get it.

I'm not going to try and convince any of you that you should buy a Wii U. In fact, I told my brother-in-law to wait until this fall when there is a greater selection of games. But the truth is, you can log on here and complain and troll all day, and it isn't going to change anything. There's a difference between calling Nintendo out for their screw-ups and deliberately acting like a turd-muffin.

But that's what the negative hype-train is all about, isn't it? I'm not going to let it upset me. It's a video game console. I have bigger problems. I have to watch over fifteen different windows and linux servers tomorrow. I will most likely get cursed at or screamed at tomorrow for things that I cannot control. But I digress -

It really isn't about Nintendo. It's about respect. And I just think that some of you people need to mellow out, and quit hating so much. We know Nintendo isn't perfect, but it's a part of my childhood, a part of who I am, and I vouch that many others can say the same. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I personally don't like Sony consoles. Do I hate Sony? No. Sony is a company. Hired by people who make money and raise families and buy groceries. If someone bought me a PS4, would I sell it? No. I would keep it, and I would try out a few of the games. Would I troll Sony threads like a 16-year-old with a tiny penis? No I wouldn't.

But if you feel the need, troll on. It's just some video games and this is just a forum that wouldn't be the same without Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Amiga, Commodore, or your Mom and Dad acting like whores.

Man this is a good beer.

I am not trolling. I am stating facts. Yes Bayonetta 2 might be good, and Pikmin 3 might be good. But they need to be out. I have a rule. I don't buy a system unless it has 5 games that I want that are exclusive to that system. At this time there are 2 that I want. Pikmin and Bayonetta.

And no, no one wants Sonic. And even if I did, Sega stated there would be a port to the 3DS. Moot Point.

Also. There hasn't been a new Zelda game since Ocarina.

I agree. The games are the most important thing. They're coming. And luckily 3D Mario, Smash Bros, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart don't seem like games that will rely much at all on the touch screen. I know Wonderful 101 makes use of the touch screen but I'm confident it will be used interestingly.

You really didn't find NintendoLand enjoyable? I will never ever say it's a must-have but I thought it would be terrible and ended up being pleasantly surprised with it. And yeah, Brandon, you're right about it sucking not being able to play all the attractions and the game not having any online function.

No I did not. It has the same appeal as Wii Sports and Wii Play did. Nothing but a small distraction. Better suited for a mobile type platform.

I am not trolling. I am stating facts. Yes Bayonetta 2 might be good, and Pikmin 3 might be good. But they need to be out. I have a rule. I don't buy a system unless it has 5 games that I want that are exclusive to that system. At this time there are 2 that I want. Pikmin and Bayonetta.

In this thread the people calling others trolls are the trolls themselves, unable to acknowledge legitimate criticisms about Nintendo and the Wii U.

Nobody can deny they should have waited until they had games ready before launching. Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 will only appeal to a small audience, people who like micro-managing bugs and people who like objectifying women and big boobs as an attempt to hide subpar gameplay.