Mega Man: The Grand Robot Master Remix Battle 2011

DarkeSword

don't feel bad. there's a lot of people who are almost afraid to say that someone's song isn't up to the level of a different one. we live in a competitive society, though - do you like songs more than others? sure you do. you're allowed to put your own songs into that category.

it's important to be proud of what you create, and to feel that it is excellent. that'll drive you to succeed, i think. that said, success is relative anyways, so if you make music that you enjoy, that should be a reward in and of itself.

I think perhaps next compo we should have some sort of "blind" voting method, where in the tags only the name of the song is available, with no artist info. Then when we vote we'd just be voting for "name of song". Of course, each of the artists would abstain from voting in that match-up to avoid giving away who's track is who's.

It might not be perfect, but it feels like right now we're running into issues where some people are voting based on who they'd like to see in a future match-up, or are voting against an artist based on their preconceived notion of what a song from a certain artist should sound like. Sure, in some match-ups people may be able to still guess who's song is who's, but this might be a good idea in the future...

I think perhaps next compo we should have some sort of "blind" voting method, where in the tags only the name of the song is available, with no artist info. Then when we vote we'd just be voting for "name of song". Of course, each of the artists would abstain from voting in that match-up to avoid giving away who's track is who's.

It might not be perfect, but it feels like right now we're running into issues where some people are voting based on who they'd like to see in a future match-up, or are voting against an artist based on their preconceived notion of what a song from a certain artist should sound like. Sure, in some match-ups people may be able to still guess who's song is who's, but this might be a good idea in the future...

I think that's a terrible idea, to be honest. This is a tournament, not like DoD.

People would eventually figure it out.

Blind voting in a music compo?

You don't need eyes to figure out who made which song. d:

exactly why it's useless. DoD works because a zillion people submit, and no one knows who submitted and who didn't. in a bracket, it'd be pretty obvious who did which. i mean, can't you pick Lemon's style out from, say, willrock?

bs is pissed because he thinks people voted against him because they don't like him. i'm sure that others have the same feeling...but then you look at the brackets, and you realize that rozovian and aeroz both lost early. so, yeah. that doesn't stand at all. in any of these brackets.

edit: also, superiorx, neblix didn't mean it when he said that he'd vote against me to spite me. not only would his brother kill him, i'd never give him computer help again. this would make him cry.

also, superiorx, neblix didn't mean it when he said that he'd vote against me to spite me. not only would his brother kill him, i'd never give him computer help again. this would make him cry.

haha, yeah I figured neblix wasn't serious, and I wasn't attempting to single him out with my suggestion. I was just making a point, that in general, quite a few people seemed to have issues with the voting process, so I was merely offering a suggestion. But yeah, the more I thought about it (and saw some of the comments), it would be rather pointless because anyone even remotely familiar with OCR would be able to figure out who's mix was who's given the style, samples, production, etc. of the song, unless someone did something completely off-the-wall.

In general, I don't see what's so difficult about the voting process. Just pick which song you enjoy most.

edit: also, superiorx, neblix didn't mean it when he said that he'd vote against me to spite me. not only would his brother kill him, i'd never give him computer help again. this would make him cry.

I didn't mean it when I said that because I never said that. I'm going to echo Brandon here (inconceivable?):

Don't put words in my mouth.

I didn't mean it when I said that because I never said that. I'm going to echo Brandon here (inconceivable?):

Don't put words in my mouth.

If I didn't get my AeroZ battle you're not getting your Main Finger vs. prophetik. I'll make sure of it...

kthnx.

bs, you're a doll :< if you didn't mean that, what did you mean? there aren't very many ways to take your statement there. you want blind voting because you feel it levels the playing field - but the only thing it removes is the name. what are we supposed to think you meant? i doubt this just popped into your head, so i'm assuming that it's related to this tournament, and the last match you had pretty close as it was. names might have swung it either way - but i know at least one person voted for you because they felt your track was so much better than what they expected from you. so name recognition swings both ways. that one person might have swung it in your favor in a different matchup.

how did yours turn out, heroe? mine's really, really different from what i was originally going to do, and i'm stretching the source a bit to get there, but i think it's going to turn out ok. i have to record for it, which is something i've never done for one of these compo mixes. i always synth everything, but i can't get the right sound otherwise. but then again, what exactly IS the right sound with a mixed-meter guitar-driven jazz/pop track?

how did yours turn out, heroe? mine's really, really different from what i was originally going to do, and i'm stretching the source a bit to get there, but i think it's going to turn out ok. i have to record for it, which is something i've never done for one of these compo mixes. i always synth everything, but i can't get the right sound otherwise. but then again, what exactly IS the right sound with a mixed-meter guitar-driven jazz/pop track?

Mine's pretty much junk :P

Some writer's block led me to experiment and create what is easily my weirdest mix of the compo so far, lolol.... I won't disclose too much about the track, but for something that was done with writer's block, it turned out a lot better than I had expected.

I feel bad about advancing in the compo by way of my opponent not being able to complete their mix the last two rounds...that being said I'm glad that I've got an honest match up this time :D

Mine's pretty much junk :P

Some writer's block led me to experiment and create what is easily my weirdest mix of the compo so far, lolol.... I won't disclose too much about the track, but for something that was done with writer's block, it turned out a lot better than I had expected.

I feel bad about advancing in the compo by way of my opponent not being able to complete their mix the last two rounds...that being said I'm glad that I've got an honest match up this time :D

You paid your dues with that first round match up against Gario. Your second round mix was stellar enough to advance on its own merits, so you really didn't need the free pass of a default win.

Looking forward to the Mega Man finals