OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Just like us :)

No, but seriously, game manuals are sometimes wrong, too. The metroid manual, for example, clearly states that Samus is a man, but she's a woman even in the game. Maybe it was intentional, that her being a woman was meant to be a surprise at the end of the game, but the manual was wrong, nevertheless. This is why we need people who know what they're talking about, and part of why I'm not writing all of these bios on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

The following information is likely not completely correct. Enlighten me.

Kraid

Nintendo

ocr4_mascot120.jpg

Kraid, like Ridley (this is to become a link to Ridley's bio), is one of the recurrent major adversaries in the Metroid series. Being one of the most powerful Space Pirates, the giant lizard is stationed as the boss of Brinstar in both Metroid and Super Metroid.

Between the releases of these two games, Kraid's sprite grew immensely in size, from covering only small part of the screen in Metroid, to becoming likely one of the largest bosses in video game history at the time of realease of Super Metroid (which is where this picture is taken from), where his enormous and spiny body would take up more than 2 entire screens. He would attack Samus by shooting spines through holes in his stomach in both games.

Kraid was reportedly scheduled for another come-back in Metroid Prime, but was reduced to a mere cameo role during the game development. He also cameoes in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Appearances:

NES

Metroid (1986)

SNES

Super Metroid (1994)

GBA

Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)

Sources:

The Metroid game manual

The Super Metroid game manual

The Metroid Database

Kraid's Wikipedia page

Ridley

Nintendo

ocr4_mascot126.jpg

Ridley, like Kraid (this is to become a link to Kraid's bio), is one of the recurrent major adversaries in the Metroid series. Shaped like a bony, dragon-like flying beast (this picture taken from Super Metroid), he has headed many high-profile Space Pirates' missions - among them the capturing of the metroid in the beginning of Super Metroid. He is likely one of the highest ranking Space Pirates, believed by some to be the man upstairs himself.

He was originally said to be one of the original inhabitants of planet Zebes, one that was then taken in under the Mother Brain's command to become one of the Space Pirates. He has, in one way or another, appeared as a boss in most of the games in the Metroid series. He also cameoes in Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Appearances:

NES

Metroid (1986)

SNES

Super Metroid (1994)

GC

Metroid Prime (2002)

GBA

Metroid Fusion (2002)

Metroid: Zero Mission (2004)

Sources:

the Metroid game manual

the Super Metroid game manual

the Metroid Database

Ridley's Wikipedia page

Hopefully I can do Frog justice.

Frog

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot74.jpg

Perhaps one of the most recognizable characters from Chrono Trigger on the Super Nintendo, Frog is an integral member of the game's time-traveling party of heroes.

Frog's first game appearance is in 600 A.D., at the Cathedral south of Guardia Castle. When Crono and Lucca are caught off-guard by an attacking Mystic, Frog enters the scene to kill the fiend before it can strike. He says that, as a knight in the service of Queen Leene, he shares the time-travelers' intent to rescue Queen Leene from Yakra and his gang of Mystics. With that he joins the party.

Frog is, as his name implies, a frog the size of a small human. It is later revealed that the wizard Magus cursed him with this physical form, but that he was born in the form of a human and named Glenn. When he was squire to the legendary knight Cyrus, during the war between Guardia and Magus's army of Mystics, Glenn and Cyrus confronted Magus together. Magus killed Cyrus and transformed Glenn into a frog, so as to humiliate him.

By the time Crono and Lucca meet him, however, his image projects nothing of humiliation. Frog, as the squire-turned-knight instructs others to address him, is a picture of nobility, yet humble and honest. He speaks with characteristic syntax and diction akin to sixteenth century English, which not even his contemporaries use. This adds to his stately style.

After helping to rescue Queen Leene, Frog leaves Guardia Castle in self-imposed exile. He says that he failed the Queen in allowing her to be captured, and that he no longer has the honor of serving in her presence. He retreats to his home in the Cursed Woods until Crono and his friends bring him the legendary sword Masamune, reforged. With it, he confronts Magus again to avenge Cyrus's death. Upon being swept out of his home time with Crono and the others during this battle, his story becomes intertwined with theirs.

Frog's elegance makes him a memorable part of Chrono Trigger.

Appearances:

Chrono Trigger (1995)

Sources:

Chrono Compendium's Frog page

Other Links:

Chronicles - a Chrono series network

Wikipedia's Frog page

Oops... forgot I had this lying around for the last two weeks...

------------

Serge

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot82.jpg

Character Summary:

Serge is the silent protagonist of Chrono Cross, a game which, though remotely based off Chrono Trigger, is an independent role playing game which was both ground-breaking for its time and given stellar reviews. Serge has no speaking parts throughout the game apart from the various choices the player decides to make as Serge's story unfolds. This is meant to allow room for him to represent the persona of the person playing, rather than having an assigned personality, something which was also done in Chrono Trigger. Meanwhile, even for having having more than 40 playable characters, the game has quite strong character development and a complex intriguing plot.

Serge's story begins in a serene village, where Serge wakes up from an omninous dream to find himself merely collecting scales by the beach for a girl in the village. When meeting up with her at the beach, suddenly Serge is transported into another world where things have changed drastically. Serge's motive behind his journeying changes throughout the story, from returning home, to saving his friend, to (of course...) saving the world.

Chrono Cross has a mixed fan following as it follows neither the style of Final Fantasy or its prequel, Chrono Trigger but creates a unique, original game. However, the game is a well-regarded greatest hit from the era of PSOne RPGs.

Sources:

Rpg Classics - Chrono Cross Shrine

Galbadia X - Chrono Cross

Gamemanuals.net - Chrono Cross Manual.pdf

Appearances:

PLAYSTATION

Chrono Cross (2000)

Dafydd, could you keep a record on page 1 to show which characters have been covered?

There's a list there... on the first post right under the FAQs...

-------------

Princess Ruto

Nintendo

ocr4_mascot122.jpg

Character Summary:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is undisputably the best game to surface on the N64, widely considered by many to be one of the best video games of all time. However, Princess Ruto's role in it is quite minimal, with no logic to justify making it one of the 135 mascots that surface across the Overclocked Remix community. The game manual for Ocarina of Time does briefly makes note of her as a character though: "Zora's princess. Ruto is very much a tomboy." Nevertheless, to expand on that...

Link meets Princess Ruto inside the belly of the Lord Jabu Jabu as a result of easing the concerns of her father, King Zora, in hopes of being given the Zora Sapphire. Upon meeting her, rather than just returning to King Zora as Link would prefer, she forces him to carry her around and ends up being used as a tool to surpass various puzzles within the dungeon. After completing the dungeon, Ruto's crush on Link is blatantly revealed and is still prevalent later on in the game, after Link has grown up. She takes the role of the Water Sage as an adult giving him the Water Medallion, needed to save Hyrule.

Sources:

Wikipedia - Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time Characters

Gamemanuals.net - Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time Manual.pdf

Unlimited Gamer - Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time

Appearances:

NINTENDO 64

Zelda 64: Ocarina of Time (1998)

I thought F-Zero made it look like it was held high up in the sky. Not because of parallax backgrounds or an illusion of depth, but because of the low-res super fast cars and buildings (which I initially mistook for chipsets and electric pulses) surrounding the mute city track. And the box cover, of course.

I know the list in the first post is hard to find unless you know it's around there somewhere, but the first post kinda needs to be that big... sorry.

I think this project is a great idea, here's my contribution.

---------

Azel

Team Andromeda (SEGA)

ocr4_mascot38.jpg

Character Summary:

Azel, literally translating to 'servant', is the enigmatic female lead of the critically acclaimed Sega Saturn RPG 'Panzer Dragoon Saga' (known in Japan as 'Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG'), one of the last games to be released on the platform. The creation of an ancient civilisation, Azel remained inactive until discovered by protagonist Edge, then captured and awoken by apparent antagonist Craymen. Fiercely loyal to her waker, and enemy by association to Edge, Azel's morality is ambigous for the most part of the story, providing a number of boss battles from the back of her Dragon, Atolm, throughout. Edge is something of a reluctant rival to Azel, and it's only later when the two are forced by circumstance to work together that we are given any insight into her mind, and her purpose.

As the story progresses Azel's blind loyalties fade, and her apathy to the world around her is replaced by curiosity and emotion, even experiencing dreams and nightmares as a human would. Her role in relation to the world is also revealed; she is the key to the operation of the tower, a structure created by the Ancients that controls and regulates the world's population and environment, still functioning long after their deaths. As such, she is a highly contested figure for the various factions of the Panzer world - control of Azel means control of the world.

It is revealed in the XBOX game Panzer Dragoon:Orta that after the ending of Saga, Azel went on to combine the genetic information of herself and Edge to create Orta, the female protagonist of the game. Though her ultimate fate is unknown, it's clear that something of her lives on in Orta. For her many complexities, her inner conflicts, her unstereotypical personality for a female RPG character, Azel remains to this day a much-loved fan favourite.

Sources:

The Will of the Ancient's Azel Page

The Will of the Ancient's PDS Page

Wikipedia's Panzer Dragoon Page

Panzer Dragoon Saga Game Manual

Appearances:

SEGA SATURN

Panzer Dragoon Saga (1998)

XBOX

Panzer Dragoon Orta (2002)

I'd prefer to see the bios well made to seeing them drop in quickly. There's no deadline for this project, although I'd be happy to finish before summer break ends (2006). If you read early in the thread, I said I was hoping to finish this before 2006, and my team said "oh, no biggie, we'll be done within the month" or something. But then they all quit on me so here we are :) Also, I've noticed forcing myself to write a bio generally leads to an uninspired one that I end up scrapping anyway. :-/ That said, don't slack off more than necessary. We need to keep this thing progressing, if slowly.

As I understand it, we're gonna have a Site Project subforum specifically for this project once we do the vB switch. I believe that would ential creating threads for each character, allowing for better organization. So keep working on this stuff, as you'll be in a position to make even more significant progress in the coming months.

As I understand it, we're gonna have a Site Project subforum specifically for this project once we do the vB switch. I believe that would ential creating threads for each character, allowing for better organization. So keep working on this stuff, as you'll be in a position to make even more significant progress in the coming months.

Yeah that's the plan. We need to decide if people will be allowed to reply to these threads in order to discuss the mascots though.

Also, I think it'd be cool if you included "related remixes," such as a link to any related game's OCR page.

So for the Azel bio, you could put the link for the Panzer Dragoon games' remix database entries:

http://www.ocremix.org/game/162/

http://www.ocremix.org/game/354/

That way if someone sees a character that they don't know and read their bio, they can possibly discover new music as well.

Yeah that's the plan. We need to decide if people will be allowed to reply to these threads in order to discuss the mascots though.

Also, I think it'd be cool if you included "related remixes," such as a link to any related game's OCR page.

So for the Azel bio, you could put the link for the Panzer Dragoon games' remix database entries:

That way if someone sees a character that they don't know and read their bio, they can possibly discover new music as well.

Yeah, I was wondering when I typed it up whether I should link to the original PD remixes despite the absence of Azel in the game. I guess there's no real disadvantage in doing so other than the technicality of it.

I just realized that you're already doing this.

I LOSE :(

Yuna

Square-Enix

ocr4_mascot33.jpg

Character Summary:

Final Fantasy X is a groundbreaking RPG as it represents the first fully 3D Final Fantasy, with all in game dialogue voice casted. While the game is focused on and narrated by Tidus throughout the party's journey, Yuna is the central character when it comes to the goal of their journey; the role of every character in the players party is to guard Yuna on her journey. Yuna's name means (in different regions of Japan) both "night" and "blossom" and also refers to a hibiscus flower that blooms at night, as Yuna becomes known for freeing the world of Spira from a time of pain.

The daughter of High Summoner Braska, Yuna's journey follows her father's footsteps in trying to rid the world of Spira from the death surrounding the seemingly eternal monstrosity known as "Sin". Ten years prior to Yuna's story, her father had defeated Sin, but the world of Spira accepts that every ten years Sin returns after being defeated. In order to defeat Sin to bring those ten years of calm back to Spira, Yuna must go on a pilgrimage to visit every temple in Spira and gain new Aeons, or summons. She meets Tidus when he washes up on the shore of her home island and asks him to become her guardian on her pilgrimage.

At the end of Final Fantasy X, Tidus disappears after they defeat Sin. The popularity of FFX lead it to be the first Final Fantasy to spawn a direct sequel, Final Fantasy X-2 in which the main character is Yuna, who is searching for Tidus throughout the game. While less reputable than its predecessor, FFX-2 also sold millions of copies worldwide and became a PS2 Greatest Hit.

Sources:

Wikipedia - Yuna

Final Fantasy Insider - FFX

Final Fantasy Online - FFX

Gamemanuals.net - Final Fantasy X Manual.pdf

Appearances:

PLAYSTATION 2

Final Fantasy X (2001)

Final Fantasy X-2 (2003)